Go Pitbull Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pittychick any recommendations on getting her spayed? How old and what's the recovery like
There are a lot of programs available, especially bully breeds, to help with the cost of spaying and neutering. They depend on your location.

I generally like to spay at 8 months. This is usually before their first heat and gives them time for them to physically mature. Males I wait longer unless they're being adopted. My last male was neutered at 15 months.

Recovery is usually 7-10 days, with crate rest the first day for females.

I'm glad that you are considering this as an option. There are many positives for pet dogs to be altered.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Stupidest reason to breed that I've ever heard. Congratulations.

Just go get one of the MILLIONS of blue dogs in the shelters. And spay your bitch.

Reactions: STiLL WILL

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
In addition to your "all dogs need to populate" reasoning there is no guarantee the mother and son will get along as they mature. You should never assume your dog needs a friend or companion that doesn't walk on two legs.

Low cost spay by zip code
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well that escalated quickly ahahahah.

The whole purpose of this messageboard is to help promote and discuss CORRECT information about the (bull) breeds we all have affinities for. Within that scope, comes the issue of RESPONSIBLE BREEDING. Guess what, breeding for a humanly "want" rather than for a purpose that will further improve or preserve a specific breed is not responsible breeding. In fact, it's not taken well on the board at all for various reasons which I hope you get to learn about.

If you expect everyone to hold your hand when delivering the truth in however "harsh" manner you seem to take it, then you're going to have a hard time with a lot of people here who are in it to genuinely help you out.

Sometimes advice / truth doesn't need to be sugar coated, especially when we're talking about breeding.

You can adopt a "Thumper" somewhere I'm certain of that, you don't need to create him.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well that escalated quickly ahahahah.
I've been here long enough to see that coming!

Bambi, I second (third, fourth) what others are saying. Still Will, BC and others speak the truth, and good for you for being open minded enough to not take offense to the delivery. I went through a similar initiation. :)

I really recommend you look for the sticky articles here on breeding, to get an idea of what constitutes responsible breeding, and why. That should dissuade you. I get so upset seeing all the dogs in shelters, suffering without loving homes, pit-type dogs especially, it's so wrong to bring more into the world. And without the knowledge of an experienced breeder to improve the breed. Do the reading, so that you understand more about it, and I'm sure you'll agree.

Like whoever said it first, your pup does not need to experience motherhood, really, she will have a full life without it. And educate yourself about the tendency of dog aggression in pits. If you want multiple dogs, you might consider getting a 3 year old dog from a shelter, whose personality is proofed, then you run less risk of getting surprised by the appearance of dog aggression.

Try googling on spay/neuter programs in your area. You may find a low cost service.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Blue's probably the most common color of Pit Bull type dog we get at my shelter, not only that but because there's so many they're hard to get adopted. Unfortunately many blue dogs meet their demise on a regular basis, they were likely bred just because of color as well.

Also take into consideration, if every single female dog was bred once, how horridly overpopulated we would be. Not only that but dogs as a whole would be riddled with even more health problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please be careful with info

There are a lot of programs available, especially bully breeds, to help with the cost of spaying and neutering. They depend on your location.

I generally like to spay at 8 months. This is usually before their first heat and gives them time for them to physically mature. Males I wait longer unless they're being adopted. My last male was neutered at 15 months.

Recovery is usually 7-10 days, with crate rest the first day for females.

I'm glad that you are considering this as an option. There are many positives for pet dogs to be altered.
Any GOOD vet will tell you, as well as a simple google search, that you should NEVER spay a bitch before her first heat. By doing so, it increases the risk of cancer developing in the dog. Also, male's testosterone is present (though he may not know what to do with it) at 7 months. A male can be neutered at this time safely and without much issue. Of course, for both sexes, it is always best to wait until they are at least 1yr old, or 18mos for giant breeds. In a similar fashion, consider them like children. 7-8mos is adolecent age. You wouldnt get a vasectomy or hysterectomy on your child as a teenager. Your child would wait until they were done growing and grown. The same should apply to (at least) dogs, as their health and complications are similar to our own.

Before you say it's not true, first and foremost, go do a simple google search. Secondly, I was uneducated to the risk at the time I got our family dog, an american bulldog, spayed, and 2 months later she contracted cancer in her joints, and sadly had to be put down as it was rather aggressive. Please don't spew out an answer without some truth or research. The last thing any of us want is for our best friend, our furbaby, or our furry family member to have to be put down or contract a serious illness. The only reason I am posting this, is because it is something that is preventable via the owner's choices/actions/knowledge. Please be informed!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It might be the pictures, but she doesn't look 'blue'. Her nose color indicates a dilute gene at work, but it appears to be a red dilute, not a blue dilute gene. Not a biggie, just dilute genes working on different Loci. I would just call her a Fawn.
I have a male I just rescued the same color. I say a Red Fawn. I’m amazed that some would call it a Blue Champagne or Blue Fawn when clearly the colors are reddish including the nose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dilute genetics tend to get confusing, especially since almost everything 'dilute' is now referred to as 'blue'. Red and Liver dogs can be dilute too (though they aren't 'blue') they, technically, are Isabella, but no one says THAT, lol
I think you got it - dilute liver.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts