Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old female that i have been having some problems with. I live in a neighborhood with a normal sized gated back yard. But we also have a lake house on 30 acres that we go to on the weekends. There are barbed wire fences and its a long way to any neighbors. My female sophi runs around and goes crazy when we are there, she will not come when called. When we are at home she will come when called but not when we leave. I have taken her to other properties and she will run while i call her name and come back when she feels like it. What can i do to get her attention when she is in the going wild mood?

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Do you only call her to come back when you're leaving?

You need to get her on a field training leash (they're about 20-30 feet in length) and keep her on it until you have a reliable recall with her EVERYWHERE. If she's not coming back when you cal her off-leash, then there's no reason she should be off-leash, period. You shouldn't give her the option to come whenever she wants to.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I agree... I've called a lunge lead... that will help making sure she understand that she is to come when called, and make sure you do it often and not just when your ready to leave...

Not coming when called is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.. I literally will not tolerate it.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Okay the first thing you need to do is to stop calling her only when you want to end her fun. She has caught on to what you are doing and she wants no part of it.

Now go ot buy a long rope I usually get 100ft. I get it at the feed store. Attah a good snap to it. Then put it on her let go out about 10ft or less if she is really not listening to you. Call her if she does not start coming to pronto reel the girl in saying her name and come while you do this. Once she has come praise her if you want you can give a treat. Then send her back out keep doing this. Once she is coming good at 10 ft let her have 20ft keep at until she ahs the whole 100ft and she races back to you when you call her. It works I have trained many dogs with this method.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She will listen around the house but when we go there she puts her nose to the ground and smells the deer and animals and goes wild. She will come sometimes but only at her pleasure. She has a doggy door at the lake house and sleeps inside. I am going to get a long lead this weekend and work with her.

Thank you for your help

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I hope it helps dont get frustrated if it does go well at first. These dogs are really smart but stubborn. Once she realizes that just because you are calling her to you doesn't mean that is the end of her fun she will listen much better.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I hope it helps dont get frustrated if it does go well at first. These dogs are really smart but stubborn. Once she realizes that just because you are calling her to you doesn't mean that is the end of her fun she will listen much better.
Agreed.

It sounds like there are a lot more distractions there than at your home, so you just need to work with her up to that level of distraction. It might take a while since she's been able to do what she wants for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts