Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i thought i would start a new thread and ask you fine people you opinions.
Ok as you know i have a 72lb male named Harley. Now i got Har by accident, i was looking for another breed cuz i really didnt know much about the pitbull at the time. But i got him. So.. as life goes, Harley grew to be about 85lbs at around 1 1/2 years old. He was a beast. But i had people tell me that " they knew a guy with a bigger pit" or "they had a bigger pit" or something about the head being bigger or neck. Why are people so competitive with their pitbulls? I dont care how big my dogs will be!! Or there head or teeth and so on!! So why does everyone else? I had a group of teenagers standing at the store with their pitbulls, tellin me to let my dog off her leash so they can fight!! WTF? My dog was NOT a fighter so why would they say that? I raise my dogs with kids. I trust them more with my kids then any other dog!!!
But another sitution, i have a friend with a pitty and hes a big dog, but she tells everyone that her dog is bigger then mine, hes 80lbs and Har is 72lbs, but her dog looks crossbred and she has no papers with her dog, as do i. She bought her dog from a backyard breeder who did it outta his apartment, Harley was bought from a friend of my breeder. Her dog has showed agression to her children, mine, not a soul. So really if she wants a compition, then i think my dog comes out the winner!! But i dont wanna do that. I love my dogs and wanna live a life with them, so why does all this stuff matter? I dont care if your dog is bigger or smaller, white or black. If its a loving dog, THEN WHO CARES!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Most people do it for ego purposes. Other things may be small that theya re trying to compensate for if you foolow what I'm saying......those big headed, big chested dogs are crosses and not purebreds. The average APBT usually weighs between 38-45 lbd. Now, I have a female Amstaff that weighs 70-75 lbs. She's a big girl !!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for getting back! Ya she is a big girl eh!!! a big dog period!! But ive had alot of that and really its annoying!!! I dont care if that persons dog is 120lbs, i dont care if its a blue nose or from Texas. Thats another thing, i was to believe that there was no such thing as a Texas Red Nose pit, these people are making up breeds as they go!!! As far as knew there where... American Pitbull Terrier, Staffordshire bull Terrier, and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Now i have heard, Texas Red nose, American blue nose, Chinesse blue nose, American staffordshire bull terrier. Someone told me that i had a texas red nose and i was like " no shes an american pitbull terrier" And they argued with me till they were blue in the face!!!! It was terrible!! Then you have the people try and tell you that their dog has "lockjaw" No its just determination, lock jaw is a diesease, i knew a girl that had lockjaw. i dont know what to say to these people any more really!! :curse: Naw, not that, but i wanna tell these people to study the breed and maybe they will learn alittle bit about this great dog, instead of looking at them as trophies!!! Or money in that matter. the most a good line of pitbull down here goes for $500- $800 with papers and the whole nine yards!! But i know a girl in New Burnswick that is selling hers, with papers, shots and vet checked, but she dont know the bloodline, she told me double red nose? WTF? lol ok there, she wants $900!! she has no pedigree, no show lines or nothing. they should only go for $300, I think. I got my girl for $500, she wasnt a planned litter though, but he did want $800 for them, but her mom was a show dog and won ribbons and such, but i dont know, let me know what you think!!:pupruns:

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Thanks Bullygirl, I glad to see someone else say it. The people rasing large big freaking pits is ok but they are not breed standard. 35-45 is typically breed standard. Size is for those that just need it for some reason. It doesnt make the dog any stronger just bigger. Ok myabe it does in a sense make him stronger but it all comes down to heart anyways . I was at a show where a 27lbs dog pulled nearly 3200lbs. The big dogs were pulling it no prob but when this guy got up there and scrathed and dug for all he was worth the crowd went wild. It all boils down to heart.

Now that said punks on the street wanting to fight dogs are what give Pits a bad name. I dont care the size of your dog I know several 35lbs'rs that will put a whoppin on a big dog. Again its all heart.

Yeah people get cought up in the badboy pit menatality. I have a Pit so Im tough kinda crap. Thats just NEWBS who really shouldnt even have these dogs.. those are the ones that end up on the news and make responsible owners look bad and why we are in the predicament that we are in now legally and why they are trying to ban our breed.

I have lots of friends with big 65+ to 85lbs dogs and that is fine. Even they understand that, that is not standard. It is something breeders have done and thats ok. People who talk about how BIG their dog is probably have security issues and ego problems.

Id better quit before I get to hot. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
A true to heart breeder is not about money. A true breeder will hardly make a profit from a litter. After he gets them vet checked, first shots and wormed he/she is debt. I have 3 pretty well bred gamedogs that came with a 6 generations pedigree and are BFKC registered and I only paid $200 a piece for them. It is possible to have a double bred pup but never heard of a bloodline called double red nose. There are old school rednoses. Trust me, I know how you feel. People down my way are just as confused as the people yuor way. All you can do is try to educate people and hopefully they will try to learn. You just have to ignore them and walk away.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya i know how you guys feel!! My female has 6 too, and that is a good thing, i like to know this about the dog, when i had my pupies i could tell people about them. Thank god i had that nice lady helping me out or i think one of my pups would be a statistic!! I know when i walk my dog, i dont feel tough!!! My dog is a big teddy bear, i would feel safe though i think, well i would hope!! But thanks for your feedback!!! Its nice to know that people think the same as i do!!! Thanks!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My APBT is about 60 lbs. She should be lighter I know... But she is spoiled... And well she has these awefully sad eyes... I try to limit the treats, I swear!

·
Registered
132 Posts
pantera2006 said:
Hey, i thought i would start a new thread and ask you fine people you opinions.
Ok as you know i have a 72lb male named Harley. Now i got Har by accident, i was looking for another breed cuz i really didnt know much about the pitbull at the time. But i got him. So.. as life goes, Harley grew to be about 85lbs at around 1 1/2 years old. He was a beast. But i had people tell me that " they knew a guy with a bigger pit" or "they had a bigger pit" or something about the head being bigger or neck. Why are people so competitive with their pitbulls? I dont care how big my dogs will be!! Or there head or teeth and so on!! So why does everyone else? I had a group of teenagers standing at the store with their pitbulls, tellin me to let my dog off her leash so they can fight!! WTF? My dog was NOT a fighter so why would they say that? I raise my dogs with kids. I trust them more with my kids then any other dog!!!
But another sitution, i have a friend with a pitty and hes a big dog, but she tells everyone that her dog is bigger then mine, hes 80lbs and Har is 72lbs, but her dog looks crossbred and she has no papers with her dog, as do i. She bought her dog from a backyard breeder who did it outta his apartment, Harley was bought from a friend of my breeder. Her dog has showed agression to her children, mine, not a soul. So really if she wants a compition, then i think my dog comes out the winner!! But i dont wanna do that. I love my dogs and wanna live a life with them, so why does all this stuff matter? I dont care if your dog is bigger or smaller, white or black. If its a loving dog, THEN WHO CARES!!!
First of all, if your friend has a pit bull that is agressive to her children then, in my opinion the dog should be put down. A pit bull is not suppose to show agression toward humans. That is a horrible trait in a pit bull. I had a male apbt that was 85 lbs that came from small parents. His mother was about 45 lbs and his father was no bigger than 50 lbs. He just ended up being huge for some odd reason. None of that stuff matters though. These dogs end up having bad reputations because of people who want to show that their dog is bigger and badder than someone else's. That is why so many people fight their pit bulls today. They are ignorant and don't know a thing about the breed.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i hear ya!!! Thats what i say, but i think that she is denial. I guess i would kinda be too. Just the fact that really dont wanna believe that your Pitty could be mean!!! My pit Harleys dad was a monster pit too, he was knocking 115 easy!!! He had papers and the showed me his pedigree and everything!! But he was soo nice!! just like Harley!!!

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Champ is a mastiff pit mix, 91 lbs and severely scarred from an accident when he was a pup. punks always ask me do I fight him, what idiots.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Champ is a nice looking pup redog. I also have to agree with starlitpit. The only place for a human aggressive dog, is 6 ft undeer. This may sound harsh, but if anyone of my guys were to bite me or anyone else for that matter, I would not think twice to have the dog put down.

·
Registered
75 Posts
pantera they say caring for how big a dog or car is they make up for how small their .... ehem is (brain included). for the women who are like that i definately agree with red dog... they are insecure and envious to the ultimate. usally those are the types that end up abusing their dogs or other people. they cause the most damage. Never ever let that bother you, the worst thing you can do is smile in their face and ignore them.... ask me i became a smiling pro :) they get pissed and you get to smile ;) also it's dangerous to let stuff like that get to you, it might effect your decisions. i've seen a lot of people destroying themself or their pets just because of that. pitiful. i just feel sorry for the dogs that are in that environment. you're confident and good for you but other people fall for it. and you can't imagine the amount.

i hate to disagree with you guys about putting a dog that shows agression down. there are a million ways to treat dogs from stuff like that. you're pit lovers, you should know that they are the best breed to manage. you guys know that human agression is not in their blood and they do better than any other breed, yet you make me feel like you guys are just saying that. i have a bad temper, i lash out at people badly but they help me fix it then i realize with their help i could hurt someone badly so i get scared and i control it even if it kills me. get it?
that woman didn't even have the brains to start a conversation let alone bring up a dog, that's not the dog's fault right? that can't be the only way. sorry but if i haven't seen it with my own eyes done all the time i wouldn't say anything. it happens here all the time and guess what? they become the tamest babies in the world! it's cruel to just kill em i'd rather find out why it's happening and fix it. i swear it's easy. then again i trust dogs no matter what they do and it's my opinion, no offence.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
heres the problem with that theory. Aggression is going to be a genetic trait! Thats how and why people breed. They take the best dog they have that has the qualities they want and breed that to another similar dog andthey keep going and in doing so they strengthen those traits. Now if you have a human aggresive dog, that is not normal for the breed. If it beeds those traits no matter how small or repressed do get passed on. So lets say ok you neuter or spay the dog. Ok now you just have a dog thats human aggressive and its a PIT. Thats a HUGE liability. If you ever have to go to court and they say Pit you are already guilty by association and now have to PROVE your innocent instead of the other way around.

Ok so lets say you work with the dog and he seems ok. For years he/she is fine. One day the right stimulus comes along and whatever made the dog human aggressive years ago comes back out and someone gets bit or worse. Are you really ready to deal with the lawsuit you will get?

Im sorry but if I Have a Pit thats human aggressive it gets put down.. I just helped a friend put one down this week because of this problem. There are too many good Pits out there to deal with the bad ones. Its that simple, I love my dogs but if one becomes human aggresive, it gets a nice headmarker.

By the way there is a difference in human aggression and a dog snapping but the line is thin. If itwas a different breed and the legal situation was different it might be different story but theres no room for error with Pits!

Also on a side note as one of our members already found out, it might do some people good to actually see a Pit fight. Now Im not promoting this, but until you actually see what they can do to another living thing you just simply wont understand the damage they can do. It is a real eye opener! It makes you realize the responsibility you actually have and what the results could be if you dont act accordingly! (please dont go out and fight your dogs, thats not what im saying)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya i hear ya there, i always said, if ANY of my dogs bit a human and drew blood, they are done for!! I dont put up with that behaviour at all, with any breed of dog. Its not right, my buddy had a pit and he just had to put her to sleep, she turned on him and almost took away his ability to have kids!! She bit him right where the sun dont shine!! But like he said, hes glad it was him and not a child!!! So a week later he had her put to sleep!! He didnt want to risk it! I respect that That took alot of courage! I would be so upset about that well, i was, i felt bad for him. He was crying on the phone to me, he thought that he couldnt have kids, well, with alittle surgery, hes fine now. But miserable he lost his dog!

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
With me, it would depend on the situation. If they are protecting, then I wouldn't put them down. But, if they are showing agression for no reason, what choice do you really have???

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Definitely Smokey.! If you are coming in my house unanounced I WANT my dogs to get you! If you attack me, my wife or children I HOPE they bite the living crap out of you. I was talking about uprovoked attacks or bites!

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
Oh ya, and with the size thing, it is really all about ego. People who don't know the breed standards believe these dogs are supposed to be huge. They think the bigger, the badder, the better. (I know badder's not really a word, but hey, I'm from Kentucky). I had an argument the other day with someone about whether or not Sadies was a terrior because she's red. They said, "Mary Jane's a terrior, and their dog is a terrior, but the fact that Sadies is red makes her a different breed in itself." Then, they started talking bloodlines and confusing bloodlines with breed. Sadies has Colby bloodlines, but she's an APBT. Colby is not her breed. I argued till I was blue in the face, and finally I was just like, "OK you stupid MF'er, as long as we're in my house, I'm right. I don't wanna hear you talk anymore so shut the f*** UP" I know the magazines tell you to be polite and tactful and direct to get your point across, but when you're dealing with ******* dumbass uneducated hardheaded country boys, you just gotta tell it how it is.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Again, I disagree about human aggressiveness being a "genetic" trait. I believe that just like in people - it is their personality vs. their experiences. A genetic trait is what the dogs eye color, fur color, if they will be short or tall etc. not what they act like. :snap:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts