Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the news showed a 4yr old girl was bitten by a pit bull that took off her entire nose and drs say itll take atleast 2yrs until she heals. Now many elkhart pit bull owners, including myself, are worried theyll try banning pits or make an alternative "dangerous dog" ordinance that some say will be less effective in preventing attacks.

I just wondered wat some of u may think about the story or wat mit happen because of the attack?
Here is a little info i found reading about that 4yr old story.

"While most dog laws are local, Ohio has a 1987 state law requiring owners to confine purebred pit bulls as "vicious dogs" and buy at least $100,000 in liability insurance.

Twelve states prohibit breed specific restrictions and bans.

Proposals for breed specific laws often come in response to attacks, said Adam Goldfarb, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States. For example, a pit bull attack on an Omaha toddler in June resulted in proposals to restrict dogs there and in a number of other Nebraska cities.

American emergency rooms treated an estimated 310,000 people for dog bites in 2007, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The estimate has fallen fairly consistently since 2001, when an estimated 366,000 bite victims were treated.

However, many dog bites do not result in hospital visits and are not reported, so no state or federal agency has a total count.

There's also no reliable data on whether some dogs are more likely to bite than others. A 2000 study cited by the CDC and other health agencies reports pit bull-type dogs were responsible for more bite-related deaths than other breeds from 1979 to 1998, but it cautions that may mean pit bulls are just more common than other types of dogs.

Rottweilers were responsible for the most severe and largest number of bites in Clark County last year, Sisler said. Statewide, dog wardens have been troubled by the frequency of bites from Chihuahuas, he said.

A few years ago, a cocker spaniel attacked a 3-year-old so severely the child needed 1,400 micro stitches.

Dog wardens continue to enforce the pit bull law, but they are working with lawmakers to have it repealed and replaced with a dangerous dog law covering all breeds..."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts