Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new owner of a Pitbull, his name is Magoo. I adopted him from my local SPCA and I love this guy already. My concern is he was neutered on Tuesday and I picked him up on Wednesday. Ill take him for walks to pee and poop but when i take him home he just lays around and sleeps, do all pitbulls act this way or is he still tired from the surgery?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Could stil be groggy from the surgery or the pain meds they have him on. As long as the incision looks ok and he eats drinks and poops and pees you should be ok until you follow up at the vet. But you can always call your vet bs ask them to take a look earlier! Good luck!!

·
Hitting the Trails Weekly
344 Posts
He's probably just groggy from the meds. Just keep an eye on him. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
I agree with the meds being the cause but for your own information, it is not normal for a health dog of this breed to be lethargic. These are HIGH energy dogs that will wear you down before they do. They need lots of exercise to be content, physical and mental.

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took him to the vet on Saturday and told them that he was lethargic and slept most of the time since I have taken him home on Wednesday, he had his surgery on Tuesday. I told the vet that the employee at the SPCA said he has a bump on his penis that most likely caused by a tick bite. The vet did a fine needle aspiration and told me that she is concerned about it and it looks like a mast tumor and that we should be thinking about removing it to find out a more accurate answer. She gave me an estimate of how much it will cost, and its going to cost me 831-1000. Now I know that when I adopted him that I will be fully responsible for Magoo and his health, but after spending 300. for the adoption and 117 for the visit I am financially out. Magoo is only three and I want this surgery done so he can continue to be my companion. My question for you guys is, do you guys know any way I can get financial help from SPCA or any other organization? I am applying for CareCredit right now, hopefully you guys can give me some options thank you.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I took him to the vet on Saturday and told them that he was lethargic and slept most of the time since I have taken him home on Wednesday, he had his surgery on Tuesday. I told the vet that the employee at the SPCA said he has a bump on his penis that most likely caused by a tick bite. The vet did a fine needle aspiration and told me that she is concerned about it and it looks like a mast tumor and that we should be thinking about removing it to find out a more accurate answer. She gave me an estimate of how much it will cost, and its going to cost me 831-1000. Now I know that when I adopted him that I will be fully responsible for Magoo and his health, but after spending 300. for the adoption and 117 for the visit I am financially out. Magoo is only three and I want this surgery done so he can continue to be my companion. My question for you guys is, do you guys know any way I can get financial help from SPCA or any other organization? I am applying for CareCredit right now, hopefully you guys can give me some options thank you.
My dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor on her belly over a year ago by a vet that was working for my vet who is a friend of mine an voted the 6th best vet in the USA. At the time I was told that there was no hurry to remove it, but if I wanted it removed it would run from between $450-$700. Now a year later, I took her in for her yearly checkup. This time I requested my friend and he told me that he has seen hundreds of dogs with mast cell tumors and only around six that went on to have issues. He said that if I just couldn't stand to look at it , he would remove it for between $350-$400.
Just saying from everything I have read and heard. These tumors are slow and usually the dog will live out it's life without being affected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey cruiser thanks for that information. Do most pitbulls have bumps on their bodies? I was feeling around giving him a massage and i felt a bump on his leg as well, thats why the growth concerns me.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
hey cruiser thanks for that information. Do most pitbulls have bumps on their bodies? I was feeling around giving him a massage and i felt a bump on his leg as well, thats why the growth concerns me.
No, that is not normal. While it could be just a fatty tumour I would be concerned if there are multiple bumps present. Mast cell tumours do tend to be singular but it's not unheard of for there to be a few of them on the body. I'd definitely get it checked out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from the vet and he told me that he found more mass tumors, they gave me a couple of options one being that I take him back to the SPCA which i know is horrible because they are going to euthanize him. After gathering all my emotions together my girlfriend and I decided to go back to the SPCA. I told them that they gave me a dog with 5 tumors. They responded with lack of shock and could tell that I wasnt going to listen to some bs that they were going to try to feed me. So I told them that I dont want to return Magoo because he deserves so much more and that I want them to refund me my money. The gentleman that was helping me said he will send in the papers to get my money refunded and that he will put us down as if we were a hospice for Magoo. In five days Magoo has given me unconditional love, taugh me patience and showed me how to enjoy life to its fullest. I will continue to be his companion and I know it may sound selfish on my end but he enjoys my company as much as I do his. When the time comes for him to leave me naturally I will cope with it knowing that I gave him a home and a life that he enjoyed. Thank you all for your guys help and knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Just got back from the vet and he told me that he found more mass tumors, they gave me a couple of options one being that I take him back to the SPCA which i know is horrible because they are going to euthanize him. After gathering all my emotions together my girlfriend and I decided to go back to the SPCA. I told them that they gave me a dog with 5 tumors. They responded with lack of shock and could tell that I wasnt going to listen to some bs that they were going to try to feed me. So I told them that I dont want to return Magoo because he deserves so much more and that I want them to refund me my money. The gentleman that was helping me said he will send in the papers to get my money refunded and that he will put us down as if we were a hospice for Magoo. In five days Magoo has given me unconditional love, taugh me patience and showed me how to enjoy life to its fullest. I will continue to be his companion and I know it may sound selfish on my end but he enjoys my company as much as I do his. When the time comes for him to leave me naturally I will cope with it knowing that I gave him a home and a life that he enjoyed. Thank you all for your guys help and knowledge.
I am so sorry to hear that. Thank you for being such a caring owner, he will appreciate your time together until his last day.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
i'm sorry to hear about Magoo's health issues. but i'm glad you found each other.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Sorry to here about Magoo's health problem...You are a good person for giving her a home and not returning her to the shelter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about the tumors.
Thank you for giving Magoo a home, and a family, and surrounding him with love for whatever time he has left. The world needs more great people like you.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
oh no dude I am so so sorry for you and Magoo! That's just horrible news but what an amazing person you are giving him love until the end :( And I am glad you were able to go back to the vet and they could diagnose him. Poor pooch. So sorry.

not sure if this would help for the future.

ImageUploadedByPetGuide1415160953.189904.jpg

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Can't even imagine how you feel. If only all dog's could have a companion like you. Hope Magoo goes on to live a lot longer. If you can. Send us a few pictures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So sorry to hear this but your pup can live a couple more years of good quality life befare showing any signs of sickness. Do alot of online research there are things like.... The mast cell tumor releases histamine-containing granules that lead to inflammation and increased stomach acid secretion.

These unpleasant symptoms may be alleviated with the use of H1 blockers (antihistamines such as Benadryl® and others) as well as H2 blockers (antihistamines such as Pepcid AC® and others). These medications help palliate the inflammatory effects of the spreading malignant mast cell tumor (01 Mast Cell Tumors - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!) Hopefully she can have a few good years :)

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
My older dog who is 6 yrs now had a mass on his tail which cost me about $500.00 to have removed, getting it biopsied would of been around another $140 so I just went ahead getting it removed asap glad I did

·
Registered
901 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Ames is right. There are a lot of assistance programs. When my boy had to have major surgery I was able to find assistance by googling pit bulls in need of financial assistance. You have to jump through some hoops but it was well worth it. Luckily I ended up not having to use any of them. I'd known my vet a long time and he was willing to take bi-weekly payments from me until it was paid off. Good luck to you and your boy, you are blessed to have each other.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts