Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some new ideas on conditioning. Aside from ghetto bowl keeps lol, what activities do you do with your dog? Right now when the weather permits, I do light w/p, handwalks, and some good ol fetch. But most of the time- it's dark and crummy out so I do emill, tug of war, and stair case sprints. I also feed according to the targeted weight. I might do a carpet mill but I'm trying to see what can motivate him to turn it lol.

I know genetics play a role- but I want to switch up some stuff so see how conditioned he can get. He has come a long way but no where where I want him to be. Besides the fact he was a little too thick to do a drastic weight cut too fast. So I know I still have time.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
It sounds like you have everything covered if your dog is still alittle over weight maybe just cut back on food and add some extra excerise time. How much time do you do his excersises each day.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you have everything covered if your dog is still alittle over weight maybe just cut back on food and add some extra excerise time. How much time do you do his excersises each day.
About an hour depending on weather and what's being done.
I might just cut back. I've been still trying to get food levels correct. And I can't get him interested in a spring pole to save his life. Lol- he's a b••••• lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
You said you play fetch right? Well I made a spring pole and attached a tennis ball to it.I play a ton of fetch with my dog and she goes ape$#[email protected] over a tennis ball .that's how I got my girl in to a spring pole.give it a shot maybe it will work for you.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You said you play fetch right? Well I made a spring pole and attached a tennis ball to it.I play a ton of fetch with my dog and she goes ape$#[email protected] over a tennis ball .that's how I got my girl in to a spring pole.give it a shot maybe it will work for you.
I'll give it a shot. Let's see what happens

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I have a flirt pole with a tennis ball on it Vendetta goes crazy for it. Great idea!!

Maybe if you add an extra 15min of excerise a day that would help.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Ok, when doing actual conditioning for an ADBA show I have a set exercise schedule and I INCREASE their food intake. So it all depends on what type of conditioning you are talking about. Just general exercise, or conditioning for a show.

I do alot of flirt pole work, drag weights, biking, treadmill, bungie hide work... I have a program that goes thru all of the above, with increasing times the longer the conditioning goes on with days of rest thru out.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Do you remember those work out spring things that attached to the door and then to your foot. Those can make a great indoor spring pole if you attach a rope to the foot part :)

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you remember those work out spring things that attached to the door and then to your foot. Those can make a great indoor spring pole if you attach a rope to the foot part :)
Nice!! Lol

I wanted some different exercises to switch it up- kinda like muscle confusion. Besides, it should keep it fun.

I upped the emill another 1/2 mile right now. But that's not an every day thing and you miss out on the bonding time lol.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
A ball or hide attached to a bungie cord... It works much the same way as a spring pole but all four feet are on the ground.... You tie the bungie cord to a stationary object, attach the toy/hide/ball to the other end... as they pull back and tug it gives them a very nice work out. I routate this thru, the dogs love it. Now I use it when they are on a chain setup, it reallllllyyy works this way because I make it so that I have to hand it to them, if they let go it springs out of their chain spot, so they learn very quickly to NOT let go. My Jewels girl can literally hold it in her mouth for 45mins to an hour..lol She tugs, then will stop breath, and go right back to tug and shaking. Have to say this finished her toning and she was sporting a double lat line during her show career!!

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, when doing actual conditioning for an ADBA show I have a set exercise schedule and I INCREASE their food intake. So it all depends on what type of conditioning you are talking about. Just general exercise, or conditioning for a show.

I do alot of flirt pole work, drag weights, biking, treadmill, bungie hide work... I have a program that goes thru all of the above, with increasing times the longer the conditioning goes on with days of rest thru out.
Thank you !
We gotta chat- if you werent so far, I would soo love to meet up. I know the more I work him out, the more I should feed. I dont want to do food bowl conditioning, but if I work him and don't see the results I wanted- then I tried to cut food down, at least to leaner types of raw meat. So I decided to ask other peoples routine to incorporate into mine.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Thank you !
We gotta chat- if you werent so far, I would soo love to meet up. I know the more I work him out, the more I should feed. I dont want to do food bowl conditioning, but if I work him and don't see the results I wanted- then I tried to cut food down, at least to leaner types of raw meat. So I decided to ask other peoples routine to incorporate into mine.
Would love to chat!! Exactly where are you at? I do a bit of traveling during the show season..lol

After showing for soo many years I can pretty much pick out the dogs that were slimmed down by cutting food, and the dogs that were actually worked to get in shape..lol A huge pet peeve of mine is a starved down dog.

Another good trick, that will help you sooo much. Before you start your conditioning take a few pictures of your dog stacked, a front shot, and a shot from above looking down. Then every week to two weeks take the pictures again. Compare the pictures and it will help you determine what things you need to work on. This is an AWESOME way to keep track of how your doing, and since you see him everyday it will show you the changes you might over look! Every dog responds a little different to conditioning, thats why I have some many different things I do and honestly its very rare that the same set of condition works for 2 dogs..lol

Any help I can give I will do my best! I'm all about getting more people involved in showing!!

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would love to chat!! Exactly where are you at? I do a bit of traveling during the show season..lol

After showing for soo many years I can pretty much pick out the dogs that were slimmed down by cutting food, and the dogs that were actually worked to get in shape..lol A huge pet peeve of mine is a starved down dog.

Another good trick, that will help you sooo much. Before you start your conditioning take a few pictures of your dog stacked, a front shot, and a shot from above looking down. Then every week to two weeks take the pictures again. Compare the pictures and it will help you determine what things you need to work on. This is an AWESOME way to keep track of how your doing, and since you see him everyday it will show you the changes you might over look! Every dog responds a little different to conditioning, thats why I have some many different things I do and honestly its very rare that the same set of condition works for 2 dogs..lol

Any help I can give I will do my best! I'm all about getting more people involved in showing!!
Thank you!
I'm in Connecticut I'm going to pm you :)

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Wish i could help,but those are about all I do to train mine. One thing i can say is a lil advice that was given to me. I was told that your dog is not burning calories till he is breathing through his mouth. So when we work everything up till that point is just warm up. Before show i do a two ad type thing training twice on days I have time. Last thing is I wonder what you are feeding him?

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wish i could help,but those are about all I do to train mine. One thing i can say is a lil advice that was given to me. I was told that your dog is not burning calories till he is breathing through his mouth. So when we work everything up till that point is just warm up. Before show i do a two ad type thing training twice on days I have time. Last thing is I wonder what you are feeding him?
He's on a raw diet.
Thanks for the excercise comment- I will up it somemore then lol.
I'll incorporate warm up time into it. I just walked him for about 10 mins before workouts. I'll keep an eye on it and can use that as a judging point

·
Registered
41 Posts
then I tried to cut food down, at least to leaner types of raw meat.
When feeding raw, never feed leaner meat in an effort to drop weight off your dog. Fat is needed for energy. If you take the skin off chicken or remove fat from beef cuts your dog's body will break down muscle tissue to provide the energy for activity. I have seen some people do this and you can see the dog looks like skeletor even though it's being worked and fed.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
He's on a raw diet.
Thanks for the excercise comment- I will up it somemore then lol.
I'll incorporate warm up time into it. I just walked him for about 10 mins before workouts. I'll keep an eye on it and can use that as a judging point
Good Idea I can walk Dooney four miles in this weather before he starts to show signs of burning calories. Then it is off to light drag sled or Flirt pole. Water break and more work.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
It takes work that why when i show up to dog show with my one dog and hw looks good then I see some one like Lady Rampage show up 5 plus all looking great I feel like I am in over my head.LOL

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When feeding raw, never feed leaner meat in an effort to drop weight off your dog. Fat is needed for energy. If you take the skin off chicken or remove fat from beef cuts your dog's body will break down muscle tissue to provide the energy for activity. I have seen some people do this and you can see the dog looks like skeletor even though it's being worked and fed.
I meant like leaner cuts of beef
And skinned chicken
Doesn't neccessarily mean fat free. You need fat-good fat. I know this. But with a consistent work out regimen and more protein less fat and carbs works well in burning fat. You need a healthy balance among them. If I'm wrong- someone correct me. I'm all up for ideas.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good Idea I can walk Dooney four miles in this weather before he starts to show signs of burning calories. Then it is off to light drag sled or Flirt pole. Water break and more work.
I need a quick walk to warm up. Then flirt pole or weight pull etc. Then walk again lol.
It takes work that why when i show up to dog show with my one dog and hw looks good then I see some one like Lady Rampage show up 5 plus all looking great I feel like I am in over my head.LOL
yea her dogs look awesome

1 - 20 of 36 Posts