Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions on this topic so I'm just going to throw them all out there. This is not for Helena though. Just for general knowledge.

Someone once told me that if I let my dog pull me on walks it would build muscle. I know walks are good exercise, but does letting the dog pull and add resistance make a difference?

Is attaching weights or heavy chains to the collar beneficial in adding muscle? I heard this was a bad thing to do, as a dog should not pull with it's neck but with a proper pulling harness. But I still see this done.

This would go along with the first question, as the dog is pulling on a walk with a collar, is it bad for the neck? If a person plans to let their dog pull on a walk for building muscle would they want to use a harness instead?

Personally I walk Helena on a collar and have trained her not to pull hard. And I'd always use a walking/working harness if I wanted to drag weights.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I would not let a dog pull on walks there are real ways to condition that don't encourage bad behaviors. Hanging things from the neck is going to damage the neck. The neck does not need that much strain. Weight training should be done with a proper weight pull harness dragging weight or with a proper weight vest that evenly distributes weight.

Girl we need to go play a game!

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Im not sure who told you that but they couldn't be more wrong. Not only on walks you would be losing control over your dog if you just let her "go at it" but you would also be putting resistance only on her neck which 1. can cause injury and 2. isn't going to condition.

People have all these "conditioning tips" that they claim works. Proper food, lots of walking/jogging, spring pole, flirt pole, tug o war, etc all can create a well conditioned dog. Not all dogs are going to be the same and genetics will also play a major part in the overall conditioning results.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Personally Charlie doesn't get to pull on the leash on our walks. I live in a city and feel it would be irresponsible for people to see a "pit" dragging me around. I just take him on a 10ft leash and he gets a little excited and pulls at first, and at the park he pulls to try and get the ducks/geese, but overall I can't stand a dog dragging someone around. It makes you look like your not in control of your dog; this is all assuming you are talking about walking her in the city. If you are out in the boonies the resistance of letting her pull would be beneficial, but there are other ways to get the same work out imo. I have started doing light drag weights with Charlie recently, and think that this will achieve much better results than letting him drag me around. Although at shows I don't discourage Charlie pulling on the leash whatsoever, but we have a special leash for that. He knows long leash = don't pull and short means he can pull; now if only I can teach him its ok to show some attitude in the show ring as well. I just need someone to bring a German Shepard or Husky to a show and he will go absolutely nuts lol! When he was about 10 months old and we were biking one day 2 male Husky's attacked him and now he HATES Husky's and German Shepard's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
On our walks Preacher wears a skijoring harness and is allowed to pull but he will also heel on command when needed.

We also do WP and Light Drags But he is in his WP harness for them.

Calypso is still a pup and allowed to act like it on her walks, but during every walk she will have several short obed lessons

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I never let D pull me on walks, as Holly said it can encourage bad behavior. I do let him drag me on my board but he's trained to slow down and stay at my side if we go too fast or I make him heel.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
We do resistance walks with a light drag sled. Or just a round weight on a chain. Pulling in a collar, eh, not so much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Since this was brought up as conditioning questions I am assuming you ment for ADBA show,
and if you talk very many owners who show in ADBA or compete in other venues you will find that long hand walks with resistance (harness not collar) are the base for most conditioning programs

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
I would not let a dog pull on walks there are real ways to condition that don't encourage bad behaviors. Hanging things from the neck is going to damage the neck. The neck does not need that much strain. Weight training should be done with a proper weight pull harness dragging weight or with a proper weight vest that evenly distributes weight.
:goodpost::goodpost:

·
Take no prisoners
554 Posts
when I walk my dog on the working/walking harness then he knows he can pull. If I walk him on the collar then he knows to walk like a good boy. If your dog knows when it is okay to pull and when its not I dont see anything wrong with it.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great replies everyone. I didn't think it was right but I just wanted to ask... A couple of people have told me this in fact, a friend and my own boyfriend... lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts