Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , Brock has his 1st show soon ( my 1st show as well) and he picked up the habit of sitting whenever we stop from sid . I cannot seem to get him to stay standing without bait in my hand . any1 have any input ?
( i am not handling him , the breeder he came from is )

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. I had this problem with one of mine. I used to kind of put my foot under her, barely touching her just to remind her not to sit. I didn't have to leave it there, as soon as she felt it she would remember "Oh yeah this is the standing thing". They learn, the more shows you do.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Correct him every time he sits down instead of luring with a treat. Like when he sits. Tell him no and pick his but back up. Then praise. No treats.

I usually tell them to stay and keep my hand near their belly so I can stop them from sitting.

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
There are actually a couple of tricks you can use. As many others suggested the more practice the better, but I have actually seen handlers utilize stacking blocks (raised little platforms at all four corners to teach foot placement). Also depending on the registry you are going to be showing in, bait is actually allowed. Another handling trick if your registry does not allow bait and it's the only thing working, but the bait in your pocket and rub it into your hands to get the scent then use your had to get the dogs attention off the scent.

Good luck and remember to have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I have actually seen handlers utilize stacking blocks (raised little platforms at all four corners to teach foot placement
Can you go into that in a bit more detail if possible? I've never seen that and I'd like to see how it works.

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
Can you go into that in a bit more detail if possible? I've never seen that and I'd like to see how it works.

This is the kit from Happy Legs, it's something you can order online. It's not exactly cheap, but I have seen homemade versions as well.

Homemade Version

Simple Stacking Block setup.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Cool! Thanks, Devin. Never seen anyone do that before.

·
Bully Enemy #1
157 Posts
ty for all the help
Your welcome! I hope our tips are helpful and like I said remember to praise. The more positive reinforcement the better because it will give your dog plenty of confidence and it will learn what you are expecting of it.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
we show in adba and you can carry a rock in your hand and toss it up and down to keep the dogs attention and keep their attention off the other dogs... i have a female that stands fine but is very distracted by the other dogs and it works very well with her

·
Banned
319 Posts
what kind of show? adba or ukc? do yuo have an online pedigree for your dog?

just curious :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I teach the stay first, I start with a sit stay, then teach the down stay then teach the stand stay. Stay means stays you are not allowed to change positions. You teach a stand stay I use treats to lure into a stand then say stay. Since they already know sit and down stay it is clear that it means do not move and works good for the show ring. IDK that is what I do. I never had the time for the stacking blocks but I know many breeders who use them with different breeds.

·
Banned
319 Posts
I agree, nice pedigree. :) kick some butt in the ukc ring for sure!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I originally got him just for weight pull but his breeders really wanted him in conformation so we are gonna give it a go . Hes a good size boy . he was 60 lb at 6 month . hes almost 8 now . Hr has 2 littermates hat are champions and 1 thats a win away.
here is a pic from a few days ago .

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Your welcome! I hope our tips are helpful and like I said remember to praise. The more positive reinforcement the better because it will give your dog plenty of confidence and it will learn what you are expecting of it.
:goodpost:

This is very important as you do not want your dog looking scared in the ring. You want a happy confident dog.

I agree nice ped and a nice structure to work with, but for UKC I would tone him up a bit and get some more definition to his body. For AKC his condition would be fine, but most ( not all sadly) UKC dogs should be conditioned and judges like to see a dog with a more definition.

·
Registered
776 Posts
yeah i would normally have increased his work a lil to tone him up but this show was kinda sprung on me . being that he is just 7 months old , i dont like to short him on food too much , i kinda like him wer he is for growing. michigan is a pain to condition a dog in in feb lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts