Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend was killed on his motorcycle this past sunday. He left behind a 1 yr old blue nose pit. She is very sweet and is good with kids. I am considering taking her but want to make sure I am the right fit for her. I currently have a 15 yr old jack russell terrier and have experience with Jack Russells and Boxers. I am very active outside (running & mtn biking). I am going to see her tonight.. with my jack russell to see if this is a possibility.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
you should do a proper introduction on nuetral ground. how is your jr with other dogs? has the jr ever had any other dogs in the home before?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
dog aggression is deffinately something to be concerned about and this isnt always present when they are younger this can kick in at age 1 year to 2 years on average but can be anytime really. It can be mild to maybe just a select dog, or a select sex or can be more extreme where its every dog. So it is deffinately something to think about , the way alot of us manage multiple dog homes is by crate training { even if you just crate train the pitbull in this case since the JR is a senior dog may not take to something new like that} and rotating them if ever a problem arises. You would also be advised to crate the pitbull when you arent home or able to supervise the dogs together never leave them unattended small things can trigger fights. Your activity level sounds like it would suit this breed they love getting out for walk s and runs and hiking whatever you want to do they are usually down for { mind the dog parks not a great thing for this breed, not sure if thats something you do with your JR }. There are lots of perks to this breed they are such great family dogs and will do anything for there owners if treated well with lots of love I have never met such a loyal breed as this one. I do agee with redog on using a neutral place to do a meeting if possible having an extra hand with you will help maybe get her on a leash and meet up for a walk off her property see how they handle that.
Im very sorry for your loss of your friend, I hope this dog works for you and your home but if not I think you are doing the right thing by looking into it before jumping in, she is probably mourning her owner and being bounced around isnt going to help.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
First of all I am very sorry for the loss of your friend, second welcome to the forum. Depending on whether this dog is right for you will depend mostly on how willingly you are to deal with and accept dog aggression as part of the breeds genetic make up. Generally these animals are very willing to do anything to please their owners. They are great with children and can sometimes even be around other animals provided you understand that this will most likely not last forever so at some point you must be ready to crate and rotate. More often than not though they will eventually not be able to play with other dogs so you having other dogs currently could be a problem however Da is very easy to manage with common sense and is a small price to pay for such a fantastic loyal and loving breed. These dogs are typically high strung and require a Good amount of exercise daily but because you are active yourself you both will enjoy running or walking Ect. Last but not least blue nose is not a bloodline or breed its simply the color of a dogs nose a dog being blue doesn't make it a pit bull in fact most blue dogs are usually American bullies or staffs. If you do not have a pedigree on the dog its safe to assume you have a mix of some sort. So just giving you a little education as most people think if it looks like a pitbull than it is. The American pitbull terrier would be the breed name as pitbull is not a breed and a generic term used to lump several bulldog type breeds into one category. Let me know if I can help u any further.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
the idea is to make a good, educated decision. so some things you might want to find out up front would be if the dog has ever shown any signs of dog aggression. If she is crate trained already or if its something you will have to work on. these are just some of the small details you should understand before you even get the mindset of bringing her home. Dont be bummed if she wont work out, theres other options we might be able to help with

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. She does have pedigree papers, and she is crate trained. As far as I know there have not been any agression issues yet. She has been very socialized with adults, kids and other dogs in her neighborhood so I am hoping that this will help her in the long run... just breaks my heart she has lost her dad who was by far the best match for her.
I really do want to make sure she ends up in the right place whether it's with me or someone that is a better match.
I will repost later when all is settled...
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.. my jack is pretty old and has slowed down quite a bit. my plan is to have them meet .. take them for a walk together.. let them hang out in a neighbors back yard for a while.. if all goes well I'll do the same tomorrow and try to do a trial over the weekend. I def don't want to jump into anything. I like the crate rotating and do think that would work. I'm not sure how long my jack will be around so after she goes it would be a one dog household again. both dogs are great with other dogs so I am hoping it goes well.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
If you are ok with the idea of crate and rotate I would go that route and not risk a DA issues from her. I am sorry about your friend and am happy to see you are doing what you can to help his dog.

Reactions: Firehazard

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
so sorry for your and the pups loss. That would be so hard to deal with good for you for trying to step up and work out a solution. I hope it works out for the pup! Even if you JR and the pit do not show DA initially it COULD develop further in life, especially since the pit is still a puppy. Please do not ever leave them alone together, ever, their entire life. ALWAYS be present and NEVER leave the pit alone with any animal. And please do not go to dog parks. Good luck and I hope it works out.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Thank you.. my jack is pretty old and has slowed down quite a bit. my plan is to have them meet .. take them for a walk together.. let them hang out in a neighbors back yard for a while.. if all goes well I'll do the same tomorrow and try to do a trial over the weekend. I def don't want to jump into anything. I like the crate rotating and do think that would work. I'm not sure how long my jack will be around so after she goes it would be a one dog household again. both dogs are great with other dogs so I am hoping it goes well.
This sounds like the best solution Da a lot of times in this breed is most often very unexpected meaning the dogs could be playing happily and them bam a fight breaks out this happens all the time even with dogs who were raised together since birth. That is just one of the things you have to be aware of that way you are not left with any surprises or worse dead dogs. Bulldogs don't always have to start the fight but if challenged they will usually be the ones to finish it. It's great that your going into this with realistic expectations that way your not setting the dog up to fail. Often times people don't understand this breeds genetics and they think that training and love can override genetics when that is just not the case. Training can help you to manage and control dog aggression but it won't whisk away 100+ years of dog aggression that's been bred into these dogs. Crating and rotating is the smartest and safest way to go and has never failed any of us. Your dogs don't have to be best friends and can be introduced on leashes and you can take it gradually from there. You don't need to push them if they seem to not want to interact much just leave it at that. I wish you the best of luck and hope this will work out for you and the dog. You sound like your ready to take him/her on. Please keep us up to date and make sure you post pics of your new addition if you end up taking him home with you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I currently have a JRT and a pitbull. They get on fine and lv each other.

I would be more worried about the JRT than the pitbull, if the JRT is not set in his ways and is not DA then you should be fine :)

BTW I have a 10month old pitbul and just introduced a new cat into the house and they have gotten on so well together. It all depends how the pitbul was brought up and if its hit the DA stage yet

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
nothing here to add.......... all :goodpost:'s !!! :clap: Some good peeps in this mug...

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I currently have a JRT and a pitbull. They get on fine and lv each other.

I would be more worried about the JRT than the pitbull, if the JRT is not set in his ways and is not DA then you should be fine :)

BTW I have a 10month old pitbul and just introduced a new cat into the house and they have gotten on so well together. It all depends how the pitbul was brought up and if its hit the DA stage yet
How a dog is brought up has no bearing on genetics, DA is based in the gene pool nothing more than this. You can "bring up" a bulldog however you like, a stable bulldog is a stable bulldog. These dogs were breed to be eager and friendly towards humans and DA..In basic terms.. How you raise them has little affect if bred to "true" standard. While yes if you shut a hound up in a cage 24/7 naturally theres only so much a life can take before it takes "revenge" however we aren't talking about the extremes.. Just basic information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Millie has a home. She went to another friend who has two teenage boys. She is doing great and gets tons of attention. All has turned out well in this tragic situation... Thanks again everyone

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Glad she found a great home , good job on looking into it all before commiting you made a great choice. Should send the new owners this way would love to hear updates on this dog. Sad situation but hopefully a happy ending for this pup .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts