Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

For periods longer than two hours would a feasible solution to containing my puppy/keeping her safe be to use a baby gate and confine her to my (small) tiled kitchen?

I recall doing this with my boxer puppies while they waited for me to get home from school. My parents would let them out in the morning before going to work and then place them in the laundry room with their respective crates, plenty of water and a pee pad. They left the crates open so they were free to enter and leave to drink and use the pad.

I would of course make sure that there were no hazards on the floor of my kitchen and ensure that there are plenty of toys and water on hand.

For additional information, my dog Lilly is five and a half weeks, acclimated well to our home and is fairly calm when left alone.

Would this be an acceptable solution for slightly longer periods of her being alone or are there some adverse conditions that could come of using this method?

Just been trying to figure it out since I have four hour commitments in a city about thirty minutes away from my home twice a week.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
283 Posts
:)kennel/crate training, kennels can be invaluable for the animals when they have been raised to use them on a regular basis. It is not "cruel" or "unkind" to leave your dog in a kennel for extended periods of time. The same can be said of leaving them in a fenced in yard... they will not play by themselves or entertain themselves, that is our job as responsible dog owners. Ever notice how a dog will beg to go outside, then when you let them out they turn aroungd and whine at the door? They play with you. On their own they become bored, which becomes destructive. Best solution is the kennel/crate. The dog will come to view it as their "fortress of solitude" when things are hectic around the house, will sleep in it at night, and helps in potty training:)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
i say this is okay for now.. but i garentee u by the time it hits4/5 months old it will become destructive. i did somethien similar to this with kenya, and she did great! now however (at 6 months) she is tearin into everything, and i crate her now...

crate training will be the end result but if u feel a litte funny doing it so young, i think ur solution is okay.... but jsut make sure u are prepared if their is a disaster when u come home...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can totally agree with the crate training..It works wonders! I put achilles in his crate when I go to class or work and he never goes to the bathroom in it or cries. I always make it a happy place for him by giving him treats when he goes to lay in his bed on his own or before I leave for a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips all. I am just really concerned about her because this is my first pitty and also my first time caring for such a young puppy. Growing up the youngest puppy I can recall owning was a month old at minimum and Lilly is just five and a half weeks.

I suppose this would help ease her anxiety and prevent her from ever getting full blown separation anxiety since she will have a small space to roam and her crate will provide a nice place to nap in the mean time.

Thanks again for the tips, especially the one about when shes older, but by then I think she will have enough bladder control to chill in her kennel for longer periods without going to the bathroom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts