Go Pitbull Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
The article is spot on. People do not think about what it takes financially and personally to own a pet. I think one of the main things folks should think about is the life time of a dog and are they willing to stay the course. My friend lives near the mountains and is continually finding pets that folks have dropped off for the coyotes or maybe they think that the dogs and cats will go back to nature. Ugh

·
Registered
27 Posts
A lot of us are on limited funds, myself included. Best thing to do is keep a credit card free for emergencies. As they get older you can get a lot of little costs that add up to a bit, such as teeth removals, little bumps that have to be removed or looked at ect. We don't do a lot of going on vacations, eating out or other expenditures so that helps as well.

The biggest one we had was back when Lump was around 4 or 5 he ate a fish head. Here in Oregon, that is not such a great thing, they can get fish head disease. (parasite, thats quite dangerous to dogs) Takes about 2 weeks after the fact before symptoms occur and when they do they come on strong. Over night he went from being a little fatigued, to the next morning thinking we might loose him, he couldn't even walk. After almost a week at the vets he pulled through, but it was costly and scary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is a reason why I never wanted a dog, even though I love them. My SO always wanted one so we adopted our pup. I love him dearly but I get anxiety thinking of how much it could cost if he ate this and that. I keep an eye on him at all time cause all I can think of is him eating a sock and it costing us $5k cause I know I couldn't just let them put him down. I wish my neighbors read this. They don't have jobs and leave their 3 dogs tied up in the yard all day. It's really sad...

41 - 48 of 48 Posts