Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read up quite alot on feeding my pup RAW food but still am not fully understanding. Alot of the things i read have ALOT of words in or abbreviations that i do not understand.

Could somebody that feeds there dog(s) on a RAW meat diet explain to me a simple yet effective RAW meat diet as if you was telling a 10 year old lol.i understand there has to be balance in the diet such as vegetables, eggs and different kinds of meat on different days of the week and i understand i have a long way to go and alot more reading up before i can actually start feeding my pup on a raw diet but could somebody please show me a basic list of what they feed there dog from monday through to sunday on a average week and if there are any nutrients that a dog cant just get from this diet and has to be added separately and just basically explain everything to me as if you was righting a book for dummies.

would be much appreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
eggs arent good for dogs actually egg shells are better to give then the yolk and white. If you want to get started this is the best site to read it gives a week by week plan as to what to feed and when to add the next step.
How to Get Started | Prey Model Raw

also can use the search button at the top there are tons of threads on raw diets and how to feed and what they need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks alot! exactly what i was looking for and its easy to understand! and one more question... maybe its a really stupid question because lots of people feed there dogs RAW but this wont make my dog aggressive or give it a "taste for blood" will it lol? i just want to make sure as i have a little sister who is 4 and sasha(my pup) is totally fine with her atm loves to play and never jumps or nibbles her and would definatly like it to stay that way!

thanks for the advice and the link u gave!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
nope it's myth. the thing with they get the taste of blood has been going around for ages and is not true. What that stems from is farm dogs usually once they kill something like a chicken they realize what that is and the prey drive kicks in and once they get into that habit they usually wont stop. We have had to rehome a couple farm dogs to the city over that issue. But it never made them aggressive to people ever, just natural prey drive in dogs when they killing live animals. And feeding raw diet wont make them DA or Animal aggressive either , if they are its just the natural genetics in them making them that way , not the food.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only other question i have that doesnt seem to be covered in that link is if i store the raw meat frozen how long does it needed to be defrosted for and does it need to be 100% fully defrosted or shuld it b a little bit frozen or what, maybe a silly question but i have no idea lol

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
rice, and potatoes are your filler

always include greens, collards, etc

fresh Raw NOT ROTTEN (many confuse RAW with ROTTEN)
Fish, poultry, lamb, deer, beef, etc..

NO RAW PORK.. ALL PORK ALL PORK even what PEOPLE EAT has the trichinella worms and CANNOT be cooked out.

portions.. all depends on your dog, just remember his stomach size is roughly the same size as the dogs head.

Cold/Frozen food SPEEDs up the metabolism so if you feed CHILLED food and CHILLED water you'll need to work the dog more and feed it more. Room temp is best.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Good post fire, I meant to mention the pork but it slipped my mind. I know on that link I gave above it does give a week where you add pork and I know some who do feed it, although I heard the same info fire just mentioned and opted to NOT feed my dogs pork. Just isnt worth the risk IMO , there are so many other options out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yh thanks for the info i read that link and im pretty sure there wasnt a week with pork in it, it was chicken back and leg qauter, turkey kneck, beef heart, canned fish and couple other things dont think it was prok though but yeah thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts