Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am trying to learn more about the American Bully, I have come to understand that as a rule, a lot of bullys seem more docile and less DA than APBTs.

Because of this, and the fact that it seems the number of people getting bullys vs APBTs is on the rise, I wonder if that will make a difference in the public's opinion of the breed (since most people and some owners think they are the same breed).

It stands to reason that if bullys are less DA, there will be fewer stories of "evil pit bulls" killing the family pet or neighbor's dog. And that perhaps this will eventually help the "pit bull's" reputation.

Just something I've been thinking about lately. What do you think?

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Doubtful because no matter what it is usually the actions of an irresponsible owner that cause the negative stories to get blasted all over the news. No one cares about the good any breed does, only the bad.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I agree with Lauren it doesn't matter people will always stereotype this breed and it's owner's or related breeds and will publicize off any negativity that surrounds either breed. Just the way it is. Best thing to do is to always be responsible for your dogs and lead by a positive example that is all we can do.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I think it would hurt the breed because you might have a person that thinks the Am Bully is the APBT so when they go to get their dog they could get a APBT which is DA very much so and they in turn dont train it right or they think it could be around other dogs and something terrible happens. They are two seperate breeds but because they are called the same it hurts both breeds.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I agree with Lauren it doesn't matter people will always stereotype this breed and it's owner's or related breeds and will publicize off any negativity that surrounds either breed. Just the way it is. Best thing to do is to always be responsible for your dogs and lead by a positive example that is all we can do.
I think it would hurt the breed because you might have a person that thinks the Am Bully is the APBT so when they go to get their dog they could get a APBT which is DA very much so and they in turn dont train it right or they think it could be around other dogs and something terrible happens. They are two seperate breeds but because they are called the same it hurts both breeds.
:goodpost: I agree with both

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know there are Bully breeders selling their pups as APBTs, but are there APBT breeders calling their dogs Bullys?

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
I know there are Bully breeders selling their pups as APBTs, but are there APBT breeders calling their dogs Bullys?
ive figued out that most BYBs will call them whatever the customer wants to hear... like you said most people dont know which is which

Reactions: pitbullmamanatl

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I do believe the American Bully does help the image of the American Pit Bull Terrier in the general publics eyes...with the new American Bully movement people are starting to see ALOT more of these dogs...being presented in a positive manner...
An ignorant person most commonly mistakes the fact that the APBT is a DA dog and mixes that up somehow in their head and thinks the APBT is an all around killer...who will attack a person as quickly as it would a competior in the box...which we all know to be false...but like I said...too many people do not know THE FACTS...now back to what I was saying...with people begining to take notice to the huge bully expos and shows going on all over the country...the media and general public begins to get the chance to look into our world and see for themselves the love that these animals have to give to anybody who crosses their path...therefore shedding a positive light on not only the American Bully...but the APBT as well...being that the majority of people see the Bully and say...'check out that pit'...
Now yes there are downfalls to this...one of them being that people see all of these American Bullies in a confined area and may think they can goto their neighborhood byb get a 'pit bull' and do the same things...which we all know could and most likely would lead to big problems...I think like with anything else...education is the key...
good topic

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
lol yupp! You want a Germadorbullweiler I got it for you!
:rofl::rofl: sadly someone would probly buy it and when it attacked something it would be called an APBT!

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
No I don't think it helps. I think people may be more fearful when they see a bully because of their massive size and then they are confused thinking it's an APBT. This is why we see stories of "100lb pit bull attacks" Most people have trouble identifying an APBT itself, without bringing in another 7 or 8 breeds that look similar and are also called 'pit bulls'

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now back to what I was saying...with people begining to take notice to the huge bully expos and shows going on all over the country...the media and general public begins to get the chance to look into our world and see for themselves the love that these animals have to give to anybody who crosses their path...therefore shedding a positive light on not only the American Bully...but the APBT as well...being that the majority of people see the Bully and say...'check out that pit'...

Lone Star, I guess that's what put the thought in my head in the first place. I've been looking at the various pics posted of bully shows, and noticing how calm, relaxed and non-threatening all of the dogs look and thought this could be a positive thing for both breeds.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I agree Luvum...
what is your overall opinion on the subject?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I dont think they help in actual honesty form up here and what i see in my area it probably hurts the apbt community. The gang people and thug wanna be's up here all have am bullys , I havent seen one with an actual APBT the am bully is a status symbol to alot of the 'wrong ' type of people up here and irresponsible owners dont make anything look good. They also dont ever call them am bullys most people are clueless when I say my dogs are am bully and i get responses like 'oh i thought it was pitbull, looks pitbull". And explaining about the ABKC papers my pups will have people look at me like i said CKC Lol. I know this breed is well established in the usa but its still fairly new up here atleast with breeders calling them am bullys there are byb's still refering to them as apbt. I think if we start educating people up here and explaining the difference between the am bully and the apbt , and breeders start labelling dogs properly and screening homes PROPERLY I think it could have a good effect on the pitbull name. making a breed look good comes down to more then the breed itself it comes down to the owners.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I dont think they help in actual honesty form up here and what i see in my area it probably hurts the apbt community. The gang people and thug wanna be's up here all have am bullys , I havent seen one with an actual APBT the am bully is a status symbol to alot of the 'wrong ' type of people up here and irresponsible owners dont make anything look good. They also dont ever call them am bullys most people are clueless when I say my dogs are am bully and i get responses like 'oh i thought it was pitbull, looks pitbull". And explaining about the ABKC papers my pups will have people look at me like i said CKC Lol. I know this breed is well established in the usa but its still fairly new up here atleast with breeders calling them am bullys there are byb's still refering to them as apbt. I think if we start educating people up here and explaining the difference between the am bully and the apbt , and breeders start labelling dogs properly and screening homes PROPERLY I think it could have a good effect on the pitbull name. making a breed look good comes down to more then the breed itself it comes down to the owners.
Agree, Angel. To many people the dogs are nothing more than a status symbol.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I am trying to learn more about the American Bully, I have come to understand that as a rule, a lot of bullys seem more docile and less DA than APBTs.

Because of this, and the fact that it seems the number of people getting bullys vs APBTs is on the rise, I wonder if that will make a difference in the public's opinion of the breed (since most people and some owners think they are the same breed).

It stands to reason that if bullys are less DA, there will be fewer stories of "evil pit bulls" killing the family pet or neighbor's dog. And that perhaps this will eventually help the "pit bull's" reputation.

Just something I've been thinking about lately. What do you think?
no...........

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes i think Ambullys are great ambassadors and create good publicity for the breed. Less DA being a major factor. They are just more suited to the average family as they are more docile.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Well since they are two different breeds how with different temperments how could anyone think that the one could be an ambassador for the other. While we are at if you call a Am.Bully an American Pit Bull Terrier and AMerican Pit Bull terrier an Am. Bully how is that helping anything???? It doesnt it will just cause more harm than good.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.