Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Well today about 3:30 ironically I was on this site?? And I noticed my pitbull (ashes) runs over to my cocker spaniel starts sniffing him and stands over him, my cocker is just laying down sleeping and a second later he starts having convulsions! I ran over to them but ashes wouldn't leave his side! She seemed as if she was worried about him, apperently he was having a seizure! :( I let him go through the process and took him to the vet since it's his first ever. When I brought him back home ashes was so GLAD to have her buddy back but we'll know tomorrow if he's going to be ok... I was just so shocked that Ashes had sensed his seizure coming on and I've read about that kind of stuff but never thought I'd witness it. I'm so proud of her because the way she reacted alarmed me that something was up.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Poor Cocker I hope its alright and this doesn't become a regular thing.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys and I also hope it isn't a regular thing I wouldn't want to put him on medications :(

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you have a gifted pup in Ashes. Hope things are ok with the cocker too.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Wow poor puppy I hope he makes a speedy recovery. YOur pitty is insane for being able to sort of predict what was happening.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow great story. Hope your doggy is going to be okay. My 16 y/o border collie survived a few. I thought the last one was it for him. I carried him around and had to hand feed him. This was last year and he's still with me. He's doing great except he has a permanent head tilt (cute).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Seizures are no FUN, we lost our OEB @ 3.5 yrs old cause of it. I'm glad your dog pulled through and you have a great dog that can warn you of it. my best to you and our dogs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pitbulls are well gifted. My dog Pitipoi (sweet pea) alerted my neighbor who is a elderly woman about her melanoma in her arm. A melanoma is skin cancer. My dog started to nible on it. I didn't know what that was but I realised that something was wrong about that so I told her to go to the doctor. With a simple look, the doctor confirmed this. Ashes knew that the other dog had something wrong because the dog was laying down and it was not time to sleep for him.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Oh man how sad. I hope the dog will be ok. Seizures are such a hard thing to have to deal with. We lost a great dog to them. I hope this was a one time thing and you don't have to go through it again.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sorry to here about your cocker. Ashes was intuitive to what was going to happen. Hope it is the only time. Good luck

·
20 Posts
My cat "Tux" use to have pretty bad seizures, but with twice daily doses of phenobarbital, we seem to have them under control.

He still has mild ones on occasion. If we don't notice, one of the dogs will usually come get us. You can tell they all get worried about him, but they know exactly what to do. They stay quite and stand a few feet back.

You may want to talk to your vet about emergency medicine to keep at home. You don't want to be stuck at home in the evening with them having seizures all nite.

In the mean time, if he does have another one. Try turning off the lights, and making the room as quite as possible.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I am so glad that Ashes was there, my Penny (RIP) suffered from seizures for 2 1/2 years, Orion my white dog had alerted us to several of her seizures, they know. I do hope the Cocker is ok, please keep us posted and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask, like Dr. Q's cat, Penny was on Pheno and Postassium Bromide, the drugs do help. Hugs to you all

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much guys! :) apperently it's a genetic thing so now we have to keep an eye on him and hope his seizures aren't a constant thing, But so far he has been his old self again but prob is now I'm paraniod to over excite him or play with him I'm scared he'll have a seizure.. I just didn't like witnessing my dog going through that.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Ok I really do mean this, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask, coming from someone who just had to put a dog down, not due to seizsures but we dealt with it for 2 1/2 years, I understand and can help, a little at least, I do hope that he has no more, you can keep up with everything he normally does, maybe slow the exercise and playtime down a bit but that is about all, they can do everything a normal dog can do, now ya just gotta pay attention when he has another, I HOPE HE DOES NOT, but if he does what the "trigger" was to have caused it. I am here for you and the Cocker if you need me. Hugs to you all

Reactions: ashes

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
awww thats pretty touching..see how smart does are and carrying:)..good doggie

Reactions: ashes

·
Registered
962 Posts
good dog Ashes.
i hope your little cocker does okay, many dogs live well with seizure medication.
i grew up with a golden retriever who had seizures, she was always able to get to my dad, no matter where he was, before one would hit. dogs have a definite sixth sense.
there are dogs out there that are used as service dogs that are able to let thier owners know when they are about to have a siezure.
maybe Ashes is training to be a doggy service dog:)

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
megz touched on it,and your dog may well have the sense.
theirs alot of time and research gone into dogs to develop the sense to recognize seizures and other forms of sensory or reactive illnesses.
theirs some rescue dogs that sense rather than smell presence.
it's not A new field of research,yet they are making improvments in leaps and bounds.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
How is the Cocker and Ashes doing today??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts