Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am having a huge, very expensive problem. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.....Every dog I've ever owned, I've crate trained. I've used the metal crate that you get from petsmart or Tractor Supply, etc with the plastic tray. I've got two pits, Sophie and Zeus. Each has their own kennel. Sophie does great.... but Zeus goes nuts. I've tried covering his kennel, I've tried putting him in there while we're home to make him feel sure that I'm coming back, I've tried different rooms.... He breaks out of the kennel. He tears them to pieces! he tears the wires and breaks the doors. What do I do? Is there a different kennel I could use for stubborn dogs? I don't know what to do and I don't want him running around the house.... he's a poop machine!:rain:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
or look for ones with metal trays vs the plastic ones . or may have to look into maybe using a dog run with a roof and buried floor if you have a yard, or using a proper chain set up instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't put him outside because of his skin. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of money on one of those kennels. I was just hoping there were something else to aleviate this.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
You can try zip ties first. zip tie that thing all over and see how it holds. Also, run him ragged and stuff a kong and freeze it for him before lock up. A tired dog is a good dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I have heard of people using the alcatraz crate but I cant seem to find it, I did how ever fond this other one, maybe its the one I was looking for but the name seems different.

Empire Dog Crate Heavy Duty Dog Cage - Dog Supplies

Is it anxiety or boredom? Is is anxiety try the thunder shirt might be a cheap alternative to your solution. Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment If its boredom get some better chew toys they can have unsupervised, deer antlers, marrow bones, freeze pumpkin puree or meat or peanut butter in a kong so it keeps your pup busy for a few hours instead of trying to get out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's anxiety, because when he gets out he gets in my bed and snoozes. Or just lays around the house. That's why I don't get it. He doesn't trash the house, I am going to look into these links and try these things out. I've been taking him on walks in the am and when i get home, but I will also step it up and run him.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
have you tried locking him in the bathroom intead? A friend has had success with that instead of the crate, her pup hated the crate but was fine in the bathroom( at the TP once but other than that its been great)

Also, most people can not walk fast enough for their dogs to actually get a proper workout. Do you know what a flirt pole or a spring pole is? What about fetching? If the weather is bad, get an old treadmill for your pup and run him on it with you watching TV and being lazy he can get a workout in. Walks are great for us and their minds, but just a walk will not address the energy that needs to be released.

Every dog is different, we walk for 2-5 miles a day, then we use his unbreakoball or jolly ball (my boy loves to herd), flirt pole, spring pole or tug toy for an hour, and then fetch, or keep away if I have a friend over lol, for an hour as well. If I go any less he acts up and might start trouble if I am not looking, lol. Sounds like your pup needs more fun and games cause that crate he has got beat lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've tried toys. I bought him a kong with the spray in it. He doesn't really care for it. I might try the treadmill thing. I'll have to find one. We tried the bathroom today, but I think it just gave him room to poop and lay. He got it everywhere, and I spent an hour cloroxing everything. I'm going to try it again tomorrow, but limiting his space. He doesn't show interest in toys, though. My girl sophie does. She'll chase anything. She shreds tennis balls like it's nothing. And knotted rope. But Zeus is just a big dope. He wants to lay around, and snore.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Okay, so I just skimmed this thread, and from what I understand you're having issues keeping your dog kenneled. I saw something on Modern Dog Magazine's face book page the other day about a couple who built a multifunctional kennel that doubles as a coffee table, lol. It was pretty cool... maybe that would be a cheaper route for you.. only instead of a coffee table, maybe an end table? Let me see if I can find it...if I can, I'll be back with the link.

*ETA- Okay, it wasn't Modern Dog... I'll have to remember where I saw it... if I find it, I'll be back with the link to the image. Basically, you could measure the current kennel you have him in and give a few extra inches on all sides, use plywood or something similar, and be sure to drill holes for breathing/air flow. You can decorate accordingly (staining/sealing/wood burning designs). Best of luck to you and I hope you get it worked out.*

·
Registered
901 Posts
Is Zues food motivated? I don't waste my money on the foamy stuff in cans. I found Beastley enjoyed natural peanut butter or yogurt with kibble or raw vegetables mixed in and placed in an extreme kong then frozen. BTW beautiful dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Freezing the kongs are the key, if its not frozen it takes them minutes to suck it out lol

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Sounds like the typical spoiled brat. Do you ever use the crate for "time out"?

Just make him feel that the crate is his spot. Keep it open, put toys in it, feed him in it, praise him with treats or kibble (however he responds best) when he is in it.

Sooner or later he will come around just be consisitant.

And by the sound of the "poop machine" just looks like he needs a little training overall

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
By 'he got it everywhere" do you mean it was runny? (otherwise, it doesn't get everywhere) He sound super stressed out by either the confinement or you leaving. Either way, you have a couple of options. I would try leaving him (with great chew toys) in the bathroom again (provided he didn't try to chew out) and see if he settles in and normalizes it, or I would probably see my vet and start him on reconcile (or similiar) invest in a crate he CAN'T get out of (like the Alcatraz) and start crate training over, like he is a pup.
I've never dealt with a true separation anxiety dog, though I have had a few escape artists. Their issues with the crate stemmed from trying and succeeding in getting out, then trying again to see if it worked again. If it works once, they can be pretty damned determined to make it work again. Those types of dogs just need a more secure crate, then they give up, Dogs with true anxiety will hurt themselves. You know your dog, we don't. Only you can tell what is behind his actions.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Check Ebay, and check it by spelling different ways. After 2 days of me looking i found just what i was looking for but it took looking @ a thousand of them. Ive seen the EMPIRE crates and KONG crates (basicly the same) for around $250 free shipping. So take your time and look. Idk how old he is but if you have been having this problem since he was a pup you got your work cut out for ya, if you got him as a adult and he had never been subjectd to a crait you might be able to train him to like it.....leave it open why your home and put his favorite bed or treat in there so he goes himself...eather way u got a Pig Headed Bully. Hahahahah.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the advice, I'm going to do my research. When I said "he got it everywhere'', it wasn't runny, but the bathroom is relatively small, and he walked in it, then jumped on the walls, on the toilet, sink, etc. He DIDNT however chew the toilet paper. BUT, today he did chew off the door trim :/ So big kennel it is. Honestly, he'll take a treat when it's given to him, he'll take it politely, and that's about it. I can't say honestly treats or toys ''drive'' him. My girl Sophie is retarded over balls and ropes and kongs and my shoes, lol, but he just watches or just lays around like Whatever. I'm guessing he just doesn't like the confinement. He gets out, and he climbs in my bed or the couch. He will walk in and out the kennel leisurely to sniff around or whatever. Thanks for all the advice :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't see anywhere how long he was in the crate or what size the crate is/was. Both might be contributing factor to his need for escape. If this is happening while you are a work, is a covered outdoor kennel an option? Larger and a little more stimulation.

Good luck and I hope you find your solution soon.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
dunno if anyone has suggested it.. find a fruit or vegetable that your dog doesnt like the taste of and always spits it out.. and rub that all over the crate. Once a crate has a weakness need to discard it or cannibalize another crate for use. .. personally I just make a garlic spray and rub the areas on a new crate that he likes to chew.. ALSO get the BLACK kong bone OR the RED SOLID BALL (softball size) .. ONLY THESE two products I have been able to trust in the crate with my dogs. I always put them in just boiled broth or left over roast juice and let them dry. Then they are very desirable to the dogs especially if "fetch" is a routine and they have ball drive anyway.

Those two I have recently adapted into my routine together. I've always used the alternation of and direction of chewing, after Sadie's incident, I had one myself and well I found that the pineapple some dogs detest and some dogs eat like everything else. Garlic in concentrate such as smashed garlic put in a small spray bottle and filled with water shake it up and bam.. But my dogs eat mainly raw meat all year and kibble in the late winter and late summer with fat/greasy/gruel type compound. So again test and see what your fruits and veggies your dogs avoid.. SUCH AS LEMON OR LIME , cut it and rub it on your damaged crate and see if he chews on that spot.. trial and error..

Then again you could just not tolerate that mess :stick:

Hahah JK ( I don't promote whacking your dog, now hitting your crate with a shoe from down the hall cause you catch them in the action of chewing.. COMPLETELY FINE!)

GOoOd Luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts