Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 10 month old Pit is crate trained. He sleeps in his crate and we put him in there for his safety and our sanity when we're not home. He does well in his crate. He goes right to it when told. Sleeps in it without incident. He actually seems to like it.

only problem is that he chews up whatever bedding we put in it. Every day he shreds at least one towel. Last week it was a nylon/foam liner which resulted in a trip to the vet and xrays. (he's ok). we crate him with several chew toys, but inevitably he shreds his bedding.

does anybody have suggestions for crate liner/beds?

(before you ask, he gets walked 3 times a day, up to a total of 1.5 hours per day, plus play time most days)

I've looked online at the Kuranda beds, has anybody used one of those inside a crate? They look a little odd for crating.

I've also looked at crate pads from Primopads.com and Dura Beds from cushionguy.com. both of those ziptie down to the bottom of the crate.

I'm hesitant to purchase one of these only to have him destroy it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My chewers have destroyed all the beds/liners I've given them too. I've also thought about the kuranda, and am interested to see if anyone w/ heavy chewers has had good experience w/ them.
Those frames on them look like they'd significantly reduce the useable area of the crate, might have to get bigger crates.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
If he is that bad I would use anything. I would hate for him to get a blockage from chewing something he shouldnt. We have one dog here that doesnt get a bed because of that issue....better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lol ya I agree with above just dont give him a bed , if he outgrows the chewing then you can think about but right now its just not worth the risk or the money you would be throwing away ., give him a good chewing bone or something instead lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
not if he isnt in there all day , you let him out when you are at home right? Id rather deal with the odd bald spot or raw spot then a blockage or choking dog.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My original thought would be to make a liner out of duck canvas and triple sew the edges so they'd be difficult to chew. He has a couple of canvas chew toys made that way that have held up for quite a while despite daily chewing.

The other crate liners I've seen have fasteners that tie the pads to the bottom of the crate along the edges so the pups can't get to the edges or corners to chew on them. But those also have foam liners. And if he does manage to rip one of those open he'd probably eat the foam.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not if he isnt in there all day , you let him out when you are at home right? Id rather deal with the odd bald spot or raw spot then a blockage or choking dog.
during the day he's only in his crate when we're not home. never more than 4 hours at a time.

however, he does sleep in his crate at night too. but at night he's not chewing. he never chews his towels at night.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lol I love to watch how "undistructable" objects hold up to our breed lol its like they are challenged and have to prove us wrong I havent seen muchnot get destroyed other then the kongs that arent really undestructable they just last longer then most lol. have you tried leaving like a beef knuckle or something yummy and hard like that when he has a blanket in there , does he still go after the pad when he has another option?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol I love to watch how "undistructable" objects hold up to our breed lol its like they are challenged and have to prove us wrong I havent seen muchnot get destroyed other then the kongs that arent really undestructable they just last longer then most lol. have you tried leaving like a beef knuckle or something yummy and hard like that when he has a blanket in there , does he still go after the pad when he has another option?
still goes for the bedding. he usually has 4 chew toys in with him, including a black kong with peanut butter (frozen).

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lol what a brat , Id just keep the blanket out until night time if he doesnt touch it at night let hiim have it. a few hours during the day iisnt gonna hurt him. My girl pep never has a blanket she seems to always kick it out during the day { we leave it open during the day when we here she loves it lol} and there isnt anything wrong on her from the plastic.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Puppies that chew beds get no beds..... ;) 75% of my kennel cannot have beds in their crates or they will eat them. Shaving or anything else is not good either as some dogs will eat those. My suggestion is to take any bedding out till the pup is older and try again. Again I have adults who do not get beds they will eat them and they only sleep in crates at night.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Diesel does fine in their bed next to our bed.. but if i was to stick a bed in the crate w/ him.. he's eat it, not just tear it up.. but literally eat it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here's what the carnage looked like after I left a brand new mat in Ben's crate for 3 hours.

Emergency vet visit cost $550! Luckily, we have pet insurance.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I would give him the bottom of the crate and leave it at that. He doesn't need blankets and its not worth the risk if he is a chewer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts