Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 10 week old pup is potty trained for the most part, she has few accidents but the problem is if i leave and put her in her crate she will poop all in it!!!, i take her out to use the bathroom, excessively and shes really good at it but its whenever i put her in the crate she'll poop in it, no matter if her toys, or pillow, or bed is in it she'll poop in it, i work 5-6 min from my home and on my lunch breaks i come home to take her out, once she goes i go back to work but ill put her in the crate, when i get off work sure enough there's an accident...any advice???

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
is the crate large enough that she can go to the bathroom and stay out of it? most dont like to sit in there waste so if you make it either so its a smaller kennel or try and baracade half the kennel with rolled up blankets or something that will take up space she may not want to go in there anymore. it really only needs to be enough room for her to stand and turn around atleast until she is potty trained then you can look at bigger comfier crates.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Make sure the crate is not too large and I would take everything out of the crate but maybe one hard toy like a nylabone or something easy to wash off. No blanket because if they can poop on it and slide it to the corner then they do not have to sit in waste. You want them to learn to be uncomfortable if they poop or pee the kennel.

Next how much are you feeding and when are you feeding? you might have to adjust the time you feed. How long is the pup crated?

Here is more info on crate training it might help to read it and see if you are missing something.
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/29669-how-crate-train.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks alot, the link helped alot also... as far as feeding, i feed her one cup of food in the morning about an hour before i go to work, then on my lunch break i come home and take her out to potty, then at about 4 i feed her again and take her out to potty, then ill take her out to potty periodically until bedtime.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I kinda have the same problem with Nila (1.5 years old). She does not poop in her crate but rather pees in it if I have any form of blanket or pillow for her to lay on. To solve this problem I removed everything from her crate and she does not have any soft surface to lay on until she can learn to not pee on it. I hate having to do this to her but I hate even more picking up a pee soaked blanket or pillow and having to wash it. She will get a new kennel pillow when she can prove to me that she will not pee on it :)

When I bought Nila's crate it came with a flat panel that you use to make the crate smaller until your dog grows into it. It helped alot with Nila and I suggest you either get a smaller kennel or find a panel that fits in your kennel to make it smaller. That is if you are using a larger kennel than what is correct for your pups size. Hope this helps you:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts