Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my 8 week old puppy. The crate i have for her is huge so i divided it so that she only has but so much space. After i feed her i put her in until she wines and then i let her out and she does her business on the wee wee pad. She still urinates in the crate on her pillow and it she just lays down in it. Laying in the mess doesn't seem to bother her. Any tips on how to get her not to do this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
She may be associating the wee wee pad with the pillow in her crate. Is there a reason why you are potty training on a pad?? If possible its best to potty train her outside even if shes young, take her out of the crate and immediately take her outside. When my pitbull was a pup at 5wks I was letting her outside every 4hrs bc her bladder was so small. Try potty training outside or if you cannot then you may have to leave her without the pillow,I use old towels,they are easier to throw in the wash and my dogs like to make nests out of them :) Laying in her own pee may cause skin issues so try to fix the problem ASAP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She may be associating the wee wee pad with the pillow in her crate. Is there a reason why you are potty training on a pad?? If possible its best to potty train her outside even if shes young, take her out of the crate and immediately take her outside. When my pitbull was a pup at 5wks I was letting her outside every 4hrs bc her bladder was so small. Try potty training outside or if you cannot then you may have to leave her without the pillow,I use old towels,they are easier to throw in the wash and my dogs like to make nests out of them :) Laying in her own pee may cause skin issues so try to fix the problem ASAP
I've read around and I see a lot of people say not to take her outside until she's had all of her shots. I would take her out in my backyard but I'm also nervous about fleas. The pillow she has is white just like the wee wee pads. I put a white pillow so I can tell if she pees on it or not. Maybe since they are they same color she thinks it's ok to go there.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
the "isolate them till they're 16 weeks" rule is obsolete. It does more harm than good keeping them isolated during an important socialization period. They should be meeting, like, 100 different people each week at that age.

As far as the crate training goes, I would take her bedding away, and make sure there's just enough room for her to lay in the crate. Get her used to not peeing, and then you can try giving the bedding back, though there are some dogs that just can't ever have bedding in their crates.

I would also try taking her out on a schedule... every hour, or half hour, whatever you can feasibly handle. Waiting till she whines to take her out is teaching her that whining= getting out of the crate/ attention, and that is NOT something you want to be teaching her. :) When I had to work and Indie couldn't hold it for a long time period, I set up an X-pen with her crate inside.. I tied a kong inside her crate w/ peanut butter stuffing, and then provided a cement patio block in the X pen (on top of newspaper), for her to pee on.

Google: Ian Dunbar Potty Training method for more info on that method.. but it worked!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the "isolate them till they're 16 weeks" rule is obsolete. It does more harm than good keeping them isolated during an important socialization period. They should be meeting, like, 100 different people each week at that age.

As far as the crate training goes, I would take her bedding away, and make sure there's just enough room for her to lay in the crate. Get her used to not peeing, and then you can try giving the bedding back, though there are some dogs that just can't ever have bedding in their crates.

I would also try taking her out on a schedule... every hour, or half hour, whatever you can feasibly handle. Waiting till she whines to take her out is teaching her that whining= getting out of the crate/ attention, and that is NOT something you want to be teaching her. :) When I had to work and Indie couldn't hold it for a long time period, I set up an X-pen with her crate inside.. I tied a kong inside her crate w/ peanut butter stuffing, and then provided a cement patio block in the X pen (on top of newspaper), for her to pee on.

Google: Ian Dunbar Potty Training method for more info on that method.. but it worked!
Maybe I didn't make her space in the crate small enough. I will try to find something else to use to lessen the room in there for her. Everything I've been using for her bedding is covered in urine until tomorrow when I do laundry so we'll see how she does tonight without any. One of the main reasons I didn't already take away her bedding is because I wouldn't be able to tell if she pees on it. By the time Im awake it'll most likely be dried. With the pillow I knew she went on it because of the huge stain lol. I set alarms to wake me up every 2 hours so I can check on her.

I'll look into the Ian Dunbar potty training in the morning. I appreciate your reply. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to start taking her outside in my yard to use the bathroom. Will she be ok as far as fleas?

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Does your yard have fleas? If you treat your yard you shouldn't have to worry too much about it. At the puppy stage she'll be easy to pick them off of her if she does get some.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does your yard have fleas? If you treat your yard you shouldn't have to worry too much about it. At the puppy stage she'll be easy to pick them off of her if she does get some.
I'm not too sure. I'll treat it anyways. I took her out on the side of the house for a bit and she enjoyed it. Immediately peed and then start running back and forth. So far so good. :woof:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts