Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have crate trained several pups and even older dogs but Moose is proving to hate the crate. I am a stay at home mom so he has free roam of the house all day (of course with me watching his every move to make sure he doesn't have any accidents, lol). We crate him at night (from around 10:00 pm to 6:00 am) and he whines and screams almost all night. He will wear himself out and sleep for about 30 minutes, wake up and cry for an hour, repeat until morning. Thankfully, he does not wake up our baby and my husband sleeps through most of it but I'm sure tired. LOL! We have never dealt with a pup that did this. We had a few pups who would cry for an hour or so but after that realized we weren't going to let them out just because they were screaming and stopped. He does NOT stop. I have been working with him today for shorter periods of time trying to just get him used to being in there and letting him know he will get let out. I wait until he stops crying (usually when he gets too tired to scream anymore) and will let him out and praise him for finally being quiet. Then, whenever he is getting tired and goes to lay down for a nap, have him go in the crate again. I put toys and treats in there. Last night we put one of our other dogs in there and she would growl at him every time he started up so he did quiet down but you could still him whimpering and crying (just no god awful screams). She can't stay in the crate with him forever (she's an outside dog and kind of mean to be honest) and he needs to learn it's alright. I tried introducing it with positives at first (letting him go in at will and eat a treat) and he is fine as long as the door is open. He will go in willingly but if that door shuts oh lord... :( We do believe he is a lot younger than we had originaly thought now. Just by watching him and his behavior we are putting his age around 5 weeks. So, he is very young still and we know it will take time. Just never had to deal with a pup like this. He doesn't seem to be getting the point of it's a place to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
If she is that young around 5 weeks I would think she is missing everything and scared by her surroundings. They are not usually removed from their litter and mom until 8 weeks typically. Not because of needing their mom but for socialization. I would say she is just adjusting to the change of being alone. How long have you had her for? What was her schedule before she came to you? Can you have the crate as close to your bed as possible for a little bit to get her used to being near?

Here is a thread about it too, see if it has other ideas you have not tried.
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/29669-how-crate-train.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked my husband if we could put it in the bedroom but he said no because you can lay right next to the crate and talk to him and he will still scream bloody murder. So, husband said being in the bedroom wouldn't help, "just make it louder". I tried working with him today and I got him to stay in there quiety for about 30 minutes then let him out and played with him. He was such a good boy! I know he's pretty young, we have never had a pup this young. Even fostering. We have only had him a few days. I do not know much besides he was kept indoors and spoiled :) We didn't know his age when we bought him, they didn't tell us. But just by watching him and his behavior, how he acts, plays, etc. we are guessing around 5 wks. Maybe 6. He eats hard food but does have problems and most of the time more food falls out of his mouth than is going in but he eventualy eats it all. Just not sure how many more sleepless nights I can happily wake up in the morning and care for my baby and the pup. LOL!! He will get better though. Just looking for anything special we can do to help him ease into being alone in there. We tried a hot water bottle but that didn't help. Nothing seems to help him. As soon as the door closes he gets SO worked up and upset that nothing will calm him down :(

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Is it possible you could put the pup in your bed for a few nights till it gets used to it's new surroundings?That may make it feel more at home so that when you're ready for it to spend the night in the crate it feels more secure being in your home.
IDK just a suggestion.That always worked for me when getting a new pup.I would let the pup sleep with me for about a week before introducing it to the crate for the night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...holy crap. I just wrote a huge paragraph and it's gone. I tried to insert a smiley and it erased everything :( ugh. Anyways! Our home is not puppy safe at the moment. We are in the middle of renovating and have no vent covers, electrical outlets hanging out of the walls, etc. If he got off the bed in the middle of the night, he may chew something or get stuck somewhere that will hurt him. Besides the fact our bed is really high up and he'd fall straight down to the hardwood floor :( poor guy! I never let my dogs sleep with me in bed until they are fully potty trained. Pee and/or poop in the bed?! Eh... no thanks. I dealt with enough of that when my daughter was an infant. Hahaha! My husband would also flip if I tried to add another dog to the bed. Hehe. He is safest in the crate. It will also help with his potty training. He hasn't been having accidents besides when my husband 'watches' him :/

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
they usually don't pee and poop on you, at least my boy didn't. I would wake up when he started moving and I knew that he had to go out. Helps if you are trying to get them to potty train so sleep on the couch for a few days with the pup and take it out if the bed doesn't work for your husband. The sleep on the couch with the crate next to you a night or two to adjust and then start to leave the room. That way your husband is out of the equation. a week of sleepless nights might do a lifetime of good for your pup adjusting. Have you tried placing a blanket over the crate so its all covered like a den?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Good idea about the blanket ames.

I've never had a puppy poop or pee when I would put them in the bed with me and I've crate trained at least 5 dogs doing it that way.As soon as they would wake up and start stirring I would wake up and be able to take them out before they used the bathroom.
After I start putting them in their crate I put the crate in my bedroom so they still feel close to me at night.During the day I will put them in their crate in the room for a little at a time to get them used to it.But never take them out of the crate while they're whining.That's just showing them that they can get you to open the crate and let them out when they whine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts