Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to purchase a nice strong crate any suggetions???
And the size, my pup is 7 months 40 pounds???
What about crate covers???

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I like the collapsable wire crates But i have a bunch of dogs and when we go away or out to a show its easier to take the crates with us when they collapse plus with the removable tray its alot easier to clean.even though your pup is only 7 months I would go with a large crate atleast or you may be buying another later on. If this is just for the house you could even go with an XL to give him some more room if he is left in it alot during the day , we have 1 of those it isnt convenient to take with you anywhere really but it works great for the house kennel.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Depends on the dog and how tolerate he is towards the crate. I own a Large size (i crate from mid west) wire crate and my dog does well in it.

But the dog a had before this one could chew thru a vault if she wanted to. I had to keep her chained up when nobody home and kept her loose when I was there.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
...I didnt buy a special crate cover. When my pup was young I would just throw a bed sheet over it over night and he would fall asleep. As he got older I weened him off of it.

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
I use the wire crates with the removable tray as well. The only issue I have with it is that the plastic tray after four years has cracked. I am not sure if you can buy just the tray replacement (need to look into that). These crates also can be problematic for escape artist dogs or dogs with separation anxiety. In those cases I would go with the solid plastic travel crates or a heavy duty metal crate.

As for a cover, I keep a blanket over the crate at all times, always leaving the door portion uncovered. This way the dog can have a sense of being in it's own private cave but not be completely shut off from whatever is going on around it.

ETA: A quick Google search informs me that you can replace the tray for relatively cheap :)

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I no longer use wire as I have had several of the wire pop off after years off use and injure dogs. At 7 months old you also need to be careful that you don't freak the dog out crate training at that old. So when you start make sure you are crating the dog when you are home at first so you know its not going to flip out an hurt itself.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Kane is 1 year about 62lbs give or take.

He's in a 42" crate at the moment. Its plenty big. I might upgrade to a 46" at some point.

I have one of those black wire ones. You can find them somewhat cheap on Amazon or check craigslist.

We've gone through 3 different crates sizes. 24 I think we started with / 36 / 42
And never used a crate cover.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I no longer use wire as I have had several of the wire pop off after years off use and injure dogs. At 7 months old you also need to be careful that you don't freak the dog out crate training at that old. So when you start make sure you are crating the dog when you are home at first so you know its not going to flip out an hurt itself.
What kind do you use

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kane is 1 year about 62lbs give or take.

He's in a 42" crate at the moment. Its plenty big. I might upgrade to a 46" at some point.

I have one of those black wire ones. You can find them somewhat cheap on Amazon or check craigslist.

We've gone through 3 different crates sizes. 24 I think we started with / 36 / 42
And never used a crate cover.
42" is what i was looking at

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
What kind do you use
I now use all plastic. Plastic can be an issue if your house is kept to warm as they collect more heat and some dogs do chew out of them.

Wire and plastic each have their issues you just have to see what works for you.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I had a wire crate when I first received my dog but now I found my spare bedroom to be the best for us. He doesn't chew or scratch so that makes it easier. He has plenty of room, his toys r in there and a bed or floor to sleep on. When home and if he needs/chooses to go in his room I put a baby gate up since we crate/rotate my dogs since my Mastiff has DA.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I have always used a wire crate also...but I have one female 11 months old that likes to break out of her kennel so she has a large plastic crate...that is the only plastic crate I have ever used, other then that I have never had problems with the wire crates with the plastic removable pans...great for taking to shows!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts