Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my vet today about Lyza's ears. I was hoping he'd go ahead and crop and allow me to make payments, but he won't. I told him I guess I won't crop her then, because I won't have the money until June.

He said he could probably crop her then. And I was puzzled, but I think it's based on her current ear set and the fact that she's so small.

So, I was just wondering if anyone here has had their pup's cropped at that age?

I may call around and see if anyone would offer a payment plan, but I'm thinking that probably won't happen!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Most vets will not take a payment plan on something that is purely cosmetic and not an emergency. It's fine to just crop them at 5 months. I have had 6 and 7 months old dogs cropped without issue.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Ah,now you want to crop ;) hehe! I would not do it at 5 months but I am sure others will chime in and say they did their dogs ears at that age. I would just put it on a credit card if you want it done or yes, call around and see if others will take payments. Good luck!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah,now you want to crop ;) hehe! I would not do it at 5 months but I am sure others will chime in and say they did their dogs ears at that age. I would just put it on a credit card if you want it done or yes, call around and see if others will take payments. Good luck!
Well, that's the problem. My credit card doesn't have that much on it, and I won't get to pay it off until June! lol

I may see about selling something or doing some work for someone. I'm a full time student right now, and we are living on my fiance's income. I have my car title for emergencies, if I ever need to pawn it, but I'm not doing that for a crop! lol

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
My vet won't crop until 3 weeks after his last shot. So that makes him almost 4 months at that time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most vets will not take a payment plan on something that is purely cosmetic and not an emergency. It's fine to just crop them at 5 months. I have had 6 and 7 months old dogs cropped without issue.
Yea, I called the other vet in town and that's what they basically told me...which is what I was expecting!

Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys, I think I'm gonna work on getting the money up this week, and want to know exactly what to ask the vet for. I'm bringing these pics, would this be considered a medium crop with bell??

These are some of Lions Gate Kennel's dogs...they are not my pictures, I'm just using them for reference:

And this pic I borrowed from google...lol

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Those dogs don't have much bell at all. The more they come out on the side, that is bell. I personally can't stand bell lol. Try to find pictures that are facing forward with both ears visible.

Here are several of my cropped dogs and this is how you would want to see the ears for the photos:

Xena has a very short crop, almost a battle without bell

My girl Dumae who I was telling you came out un even. In person you can't really tell but this picture really shows it. Again not much bell. Between long and medium

Scorch-Short crop with a bit of Bell

Crixus-Short crop with a bit of bell

Justice-Show with no bell

Bailey- between med and long with more bell than I would like

Stack-Not as front facing as would be best, medium with no bell

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! I have been looking for some front facing pics but haven't been able to find any! I'm with you, not a fan of the bell!

I've read that with no bell there's usually more of a need to post/tape. Since my pup's ears are already half prick, do you think them standing would be a huge issue?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
There can be, but if you need to do that Lisa has posted great videos here on how to post them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, just wanted to update this thread. Lyza did get her crop on the day that I specified. It has been almost 2 months, and her ears, IMO, look fantastic!

If anyone is near me and would like to know my vet's info, I'll be more than happy to share!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Her ears did turn out really nice! Stark got his done at about four and a half months. He'll be five months in a day, but his ears don't stand very well so we'll have our vet tape them soon, once they're finished healing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Those dogs don't have much bell at all. The more they come out on the side, that is bell. I personally can't stand bell lol. Try to find pictures that are facing forward with both ears visible.

Here are several of my cropped dogs and this is how you would want to see the ears for the photos:

Xena has a very short crop, almost a battle without bell

My girl Dumae who I was telling you came out un even. In person you can't really tell but this picture really shows it. Again not much bell. Between long and medium

Scorch-Short crop with a bit of Bell

Crixus-Short crop with a bit of bell

Justice-Show with no bell

Bailey- between med and long with more bell than I would like

Stack-Not as front facing as would be best, medium with no bell
Your dogs all look great :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey, just wanted to update this thread. Lyza did get her crop on the day that I specified. It has been almost 2 months, and her ears, IMO, look fantastic!

If anyone is near me and would like to know my vet's info, I'll be more than happy to share!
They look great...where are you located? How old was she when they were done? I couldn't find a single vet that would do the cropping...the 1 vet I did find, refuses to do them after 10 weeks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow looks great! Did they just end up standing on there own or
Did you have to post them for a while? Because those looks perfect!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lyza was 14 weeks old when she was cropped and for a while I thought we were going to have to tape but my vet instructed me to massage her right ear (which was crinkled in the corner) daily. Eventually it straightened out on it's own.

I'm located in Douglas, GA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts