Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you on here like uncropped ears and will tell me to just leave my dog's ears alone. I personally like the majestic look of the crop. Its not just for pitbulls, but in all breeds that have a crop. So with that said, for those of you who have experience....

CHINO IS 8 WEEKS. HOW OLD SHOULD HE BE????

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Some vet will crop up to 6 months old most starting at 12 weeks old. Some vets will crop yonger, but not many I have found.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
It all depends on your personal vet. If he does it at 10 wks, that's all well and good. I've known of vets to do it as young as 4-6wks, but it costs much more! Just keep in mind, any time you put an animal, or human for that matter, under anestesthia, you're taking a risk! I like either style, depending on the individual dog, the body/head style. The only dogs I have owned with cropped ears were my two conformation dogs... all my other pitties have always been left natural. Why put your beloved companion's life at risk just b/c of the trend or b/c you like the look? That's a rhetorical question, and no offense intended.. just what I think to myself when it comes to my personal dogs. I'm in no way telling you what to do with yours.. just answering your question to the best of my ability, and rambling on b/c I can't sleep and have no one to talk to!! Let us know what you decide and please post before and after pix!! I love looking at pix, no matter what age the dog is!

Reactions: StaffyDaddy

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It all depends on your personal vet. If he does it at 10 wks, that's all well and good. I've known of vets to do it as young as 4-6wks, but it costs much more! Just keep in mind, any time you put an animal, or human for that matter, under anestesthia, you're taking a risk! I like either style, depending on the individual dog, the body/head style. The only dogs I have owned with cropped ears were my two conformation dogs... all my other pitties have always been left natural. Why put your beloved companion's life at risk just b/c of the trend or b/c you like the look? That's a rhetorical question, and no offense intended.. just what I think to myself when it comes to my personal dogs. I'm in no way telling you what to do with yours.. just answering your question to the best of my ability, and rambling on b/c I can't sleep and have no one to talk to!! Let us know what you decide and please post before and after pix!! I love looking at pix, no matter what age the dog is!
well thank you! at this point im set in my decision i just wanted to see what age is good..

the vet did bloodwork to test for reaction to anesthesia and all went well. I love my boy, and I did my research before even being 100 percent sure.

Hope you can get some rest.. Im drinking a beer watching fresh prince of belaire on nick at nite lol

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
You're quite welcome..I'm always happy to help! Wish I could have a drink.. I'm 6 1/2 mos pregnant, and although it's okay to have a glass of wine... all my mama has is bourbon or natural light beer (i don't like bourbon, and I can't stand natty light)! Baby has been kickin since 7am and ain't stopped yet! She's gonna be active, that's for sure! Glad everything went well with the pre-op tests... best of luck to you and Chino!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
i belive the best age to get a crop is between 10-12 weeks of age. they are old enough to have some vaccines and stil young enough not to remember anything and the cartiledge in their ears are still soft. I got kenyas ears cropped at 10wks.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i belive the best age to get a crop is between 10-12 weeks of age. they are old enough to have some vaccines and stil young enough not to remember anything and the cartiledge in their ears are still soft. I got kenyas ears cropped at 10wks.
good stuff. man you guys are such a help!! i plan to do it the DAY after his obedience class so he has 6 days to heal up before going again

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
how short you going? keep in mind, that being around other dogs when his ears are healing, they will try to lick them so keep the cone on him :)

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well right now he is learning LEAVE IT so the dogs interact, but they dont let them play too much.. and yeah, it sounds messed up but im gonna leave that darn elizabethan collar on as long as it take because it should get him used to it if he ever needs to have it on again..

and im going with the 2 on that chart

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
nice nice, 2 is a good size for the stockier dogs... and they are much easier to clean and take care of... yeah kenyas collar only came off at night when she slept in bed with me... other than that she HAD to ahve it on. i was not about to have her rip a stitch when they scabbed over. one really good thing i got out of gettin her ears done is, she has no problem letting me clean her ears.. i clean then twice a week (cropped ears get DIIIRRTTYYYY) and she loves it.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
My vet doesn't do it any less than 16 weeks because of the risk durring anestesia...also at that age the vet can see how the ears are going to stay ontop of their heads.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I went back and forth about the ear crop, and decided against, just because I was concerned it would make people overact at how mean she looks, but now I kind of wish I had done it. She's nearly 6 months, so I have considered asking the vet about doing it at the same time she is spayed, but I just can't decide. Good luck, and post pics

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back and forth about the ear crop, and decided against, just because I was concerned it would make people overact at how mean she looks, but now I kind of wish I had done it. She's nearly 6 months, so I have considered asking the vet about doing it at the same time she is spayed, but I just can't decide. Good luck, and post pics
well what i have heard is that earlier on its less traumatic, but if she's going to be spayed..lol... im sure that it would be fine. My friend got his dogs done right around 5 months and he was JUST FINE..

i really dont think they look mean, it makes our breed look elegant :D

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
honestly, I would say more than 8 months old is too old. When I bring my pups home they don't even realise it's happened. They expect to run and play the next day after all the anestesia wears off like they never went to the vets.... YOU'RE the one who freaks out saying to yourself "OMG what if they bust a stitch!" lol As long as you don't pinch them or anything they aren't aware of anything...well.. the cone that clips the door way when they try to run by is a pain in the butt lol.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well.. the cone that clips the door way when they try to run by is a pain in the butt lol.
i just pictured chino running at the door..BUMP... running at the door...BUMP... running at the door...BUMP.... *woof woof*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts