Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup is 5months now and i was just wondering...is it too late for me to crop her ears? I've been in a money crunch so i haven't had the opportunity to look into it until now. I'll have enough money for it in about a month. Will 6 months be too late for me to do it? thanx in advance everyone.

·
The M.F. Problem
4,932 Posts
All depends on the vet......
I talked to a vet who did them as early as 5 days old(retarded and pointless) and I ended up going to a vet that had no age restriction. I had my Bandogges ears don when she was 5 months and 1 week old. She had no problem with bouncing back, didn't fuss with them at all, and she really didn't seem tender around the ears either.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Most vets around here will not do them after 16 weeks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you live in Arizona I have a Vet that will do it up to 2 years old. She puts them to sleep and puts the clamp on them to make a them even. Then she burns the blood veins in the ear and stiches them up. I have pictures if you like.

·
The M.F. Problem
4,932 Posts
If you live in Arizona I have a Vet that will do it up to 2 years old. She puts them to sleep and puts the clamp on them to make a them even. Then she burns the blood veins in the ear and stiches them up. I have pictures if you like.
Who's your vet man? I'm in Phoenix, by metro. Anyway, mine didn't even cauterize the veins, he put the hemostats on em' for a minute and then tied the internal stitching around em'.
My girl raven was 51lbs when we went in for that, so he needed a bit more anestesia, but it was worth the extra dough. Yuck though, when they go under they lose control of their bowels....... It just falls out with no pressure behind it. *Gags*

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
it really depends on how the ears set naturally. some ears are better candidates for cropping than others. your pups ears set about like my male Jax's. I wouldn't recommend cropping now but this is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I wouldn't do it at that age. Most are done between 8-16 weeks. But there are some vets who will pretty much do it at any age....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do you realize how painful this would be at that age!!! That is more inhumane than a dog fight to crop at the this point in the dog's (5 months or two years especially). I had a dog that was done at 6 months and I will never crop ears again because of it without some serious consideration. Look at my male faucee in the pic for the MOTM pictures, see that limp ear, nerve damage. I was in the vet's home(lived next door to the office) threating to kick his a$$ (they are a extension of my kids) because I was not properly adviced of the risk, I have never seen so much blood, and nothing more than a dog that was to old to have a ear crop done. I was back at his home less than 2 hours after I picked him up. I research the vet also, had the creditials and the referrals to buy my confidence and I paid him $325 more than anyone else in town to have this done because of his college, experience, and referrals. Vet for over 35 years!!!

This is at your own risk and I would weigh the options of this before you do it !!!!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Hey shadowgames thanks for the info !!! I don't know anything about crops because I prefer natural ears .. But I was going to ask why they prefer to stop cropping after a certain age ... I was not sure if it was due to psychological issues health problems or what that would cause problems for the dog by doing a crop past a certain age. Good Info :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I really don't believe in the mental issue because of the breed and the heavy abuse they will endure for humans but the blood flow in the ears are at a mature stage, the nerves in there are totally and fully devolped. On top of it, if you have a high strung dog like most APBT that will do anything to get those things off where as a pup doesn't have the ability to like a mature dog. I good hard shake or two will break a suture(spl?) very easilyThis is my opinion nothing more or less. I have had a super bad experience twice now and I really don't think I will crop again in my life, plus it gives the dog a more aggressive look IMO most times. Nothing is benificial to the dog with ear crops except a different look, I do love the look just something I just don't plan on doing. It is a big pain in the butt. You also clean the dog's ears more often, they are more prone to ear infections also with cropped ears.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Just wanted to echo that I wouldn't crop past the optimum time of 8-12 (or maybe 8-16) weeks. There is a reason that some things are done very young. After that, the only reason I'd crop is for medical purposes. (I didn't crop my show dogs, so I don't see the point of cropping a pet dog if you've already missed the window.)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I really don't believe in the mental issue because of the breed and the heavy abuse they will endure for humans but the blood flow in the ears are at a mature stage, the nerves in there are totally and fully devolped. On top of it, if you have a high strung dog like most APBT that will do anything to get those things off where as a pup doesn't have the ability to like a mature dog. I good hard shake or two will break a suture(spl?) very easilyThis is my opinion nothing more or less. I have had a super bad experience twice now and I really don't think I will crop again in my life, plus it gives the dog a more aggressive look IMO most times. Nothing is benificial to the dog with ear crops except a different look, I do love the look just something I just don't plan on doing. It is a big pain in the butt. You also clean the dog's ears more often, they are more prone to ear infections also with cropped ears.
Yeah that makes sense ! Thanks I have always loved the ears I think they bring out alot of personality in the dog.. But sometimes a crop can do alot for the head of the dog... I guess it's all in personal preference I personally don't see a need for it other than for looks and IMO I think it makes them look mean alot of the time but this is just my opinion :goodpost:...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts