Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im new here and i had some questions about cropping my puppies ears..... Hes getting them done next week and im not sure what the way to go is with the cut? Is longer better or shorter... ? Or is just not cropping his ears in general better? Will he have and problems if they are cropped?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Well im new here and i had some questions about cropping my puppies ears..... Hes getting them done next week and im not sure what the way to go is with the cut? Is longer better or shorter... ? Or is just not cropping his ears in general better? Will he have and problems if they are cropped?
Well not cropping his ears in general would save him pain thats pretty much it, I like the cropped look if you want an idea of length look at my pup Shortys ears and see if you like it. I went with the shorter crop. He will not have problems with them if you clean them regularly they do get dirty quick.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not cropping his ears in general would save him pain thats pretty much it, I like the cropped look if you want an idea of length look at my pup Shortys ears and see if you like it. I went with the shorter crop. He will not have problems with them if you clean them regularly they do get dirty quick.
Great thanks...... I think im going for the longer look. For some reason i like a little more ear on him.... lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, got any pictures of your pup?
Yeah there should be one on my profile.... and im trying to add more now but it wont let me. the picture on my profile is the first day i got him. He was so little compared to now! Hes getting huge! Hopefully i have some in his album tonight... if you cant see them hes a blue nose..... all blue with a white chest. and gorgeous eyes!

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is a lot of aftercare involved in cropping so if your not going to have the time or patience I really don't suggest it IMO. In the long run medium/ shorter crops tend to stand easier therefore you wouldn't have to tape them as much, if at all.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
:goodpost:
There is a lot of aftercare involved in cropping so if your not going to have the time or patience I really don't suggest it IMO. In the long run medium/ shorter crops tend to stand easier therefore you wouldn't have to tape them as much, if at all.
Also the plus side of a shorter crop, Shortys were on for about 15 days if I remember right an then removed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:goodpost:

Also the plus side of a shorter crop, Shortys were on for about 15 days if I remember right an then removed.
The vet didnt say anything about taping them? and all the pictures ive seen of puppies right after the surgery just had the staples or wheatever they use? is it better to tape them?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I like the cropped look but if you aren't showing him I would just leave them natural. There is alot of care after you crop. Although it is your pup and you can do what you want :) good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
The vet didnt say anything about taping them? and all the pictures ive seen of puppies right after the surgery just had the staples or wheatever they use? is it better to tape them?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you're going with a longer crop they'll need to be taped to make sure they don't fold over again. With some shorter crops they can stay up on their own.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
A crop is not that hard to care for. Unless you have another dog that will bother the sutures I don't see issues. You can put a cone on the dog so they don't tear them. They are easy to maintain as you let them scab up and heal. I personally like cropped ears so I do crop some of my dogs. I go for shorter crop as it looks better imo. Long crops for Danes and Dobies are they type that would need type. A normal APBT type crop usually wouldn't need tape unless they are not standing properly.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think if you're going with a longer crop they'll need to be taped to make sure they don't fold over again. With some shorter crops they can stay up on their own.
Shorty has a pretty short crop and his were taped anyways, and sutures... Were takin out in about 2 weeks and were perfect.

Make sure to keep up on the pain meds and antibiotics... Very important..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts