Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my dog has a cut inside her paw where the pad meets the skin on the inside but anyways what do you guys do so take care of cuts? I've been cleaning it and applying ointment but was wondering if you guys had any other opinions.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
That is a hard place to have a cut. If it is minor you are doing the right thing. If it is really bad and deep you can pack it full of furazone and wrap of with coflex. Both you can get at a feed store you might also Need an Elizabethan collar to keep him from bothering it. Of course clean it good first with anticeptic not hydrogen peroxide or alcohol.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
alohaz
depends on how bad the cut is. if the bleeding stopped, and she's acting normal, i would just wash with antibacterial. maybe some peroxide with a q-tip. and skip the ointment because she will lick it off and make herself sick. unless you wrap it up. i've used baby socks in the past.
paw lacerations usually heal quickly. but if she's limping and showing signs of pain, i would clean, check for foreign objects, ointment like aquaphor, bandage, sock, and lots of crate time. limit her exercise for about a week and re-assess.
pomaika'i

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
i know peroxide can induce vomiting when consumed in larger quantities. is it not okay to swab a laceration with it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have found with pad injuries that ointment tends to keep the would soft & open longer. We like to use the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid)

One of the best things we found (in the last 20+ yrs) for a pad wound is a simple salt (iodized salt) water flush at least 4 times a day. It's simple....all you need is warm water, add enough salt so that it is salty to taste. Flush or soak the dogs foot in the salt water for a minute or so. Do this at least four times a day, for 5-7 days. Keep the dog crated during this time. You should notice healing within 2-3 days.

The iodine in the salt will promote healing from the inside out and help keep the would dry at the same time.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
i know peroxide can induce vomiting when consumed in larger quantities. is it not okay to swab a laceration with it?
I woudn't. Go to the pharmacy like walgreens or CVS and get some betadine or they have several types of anticeptic wash. Hodrogen peroxide is harsh and does not promote healing, there are much better options now. I like a chlorhexidine wash of some type you can find that at the store too.

We have found with pad injuries that ointment tends to keep the would soft & open longer. We like to use the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid)

One of the best things we found (in the last 20+ yrs) for a pad wound is a simple salt (iodized salt) water flush at least 4 times a day. It's simple....all you need is warm water, add enough salt so that it is salty to taste. Flush or soak the dogs foot in the salt water for a minute or so. Do this at least four times a day, for 5-7 days. Keep the dog crated during this time. You should notice healing within 2-3 days.

The iodine in the salt will promote healing from the inside out and help keep the would dry at the same time.
:goodpost: I like to KISS too! lol
I have found though with trial and error that with any deep laceration or puncture they heal really fast with the furazone. Normally I would agree to let it air out as staying moist can make it longer to heal but I swear by the furazone and in just a few days it is almost healed and I do not have to worry about dirt getting into to it. Crate rest is also a great idea.

If you ever get a reason to try the furazone, try it. I was amazed on what it does and how it heals. You need to put a lot on the wound then wrap it up.

I think your idea is good BTW I'm not saying that just offering the furazone to try sometime. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys I appreciate all the help. I've been cleaning her paw twice a day and applying ointment, she seems to have healed up just fine.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
i like bag balm, to help healing. had a friend that swore by it for people and animals. it has antiseptic propertys and it promotes rapid healing friend bought a puppy that had acid burns from being left in fecal matter from its last kennel. healed up in a day or 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts