Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup thinks she is the boss, she growls and attacks like a boss. So I pick her up and lay her down on her back . Is this a good thing? Am I being assertive with her?
My pup has bite inhabitation. How do i get rid of this? Several examples please.
Also, she likes to put her paws on the sofa and just bark ! Sh*t is annoying!! Please help me stopp this .
Totally Appreciate this

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Have you crated her yet? Crating a dog helps with alot of whos boss issues. Also are you taking any obedience classes?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Well I have bit my dogs before so I see nothing wrong with what your doing. It works for some dogs not for others. That is why I asked if you where doing any training classes as she really needs to been seen by someone in person. My pups are raised with proper manners form day one so I really don't have much info to help with ones that are a bit unruly. We have some good trainers here tho that could probably help when they log on.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Make sure you aren't overdoing the alpha rolls. With softer dogs, it can really mess with their head, although I don't think that's an issue with you.

We could alpha roll Roxie all day and she'd know her place and accept it, but Kane is softer personality-wise than her. We tried it with him when he was a puppy and it freaked him out so bad the one time we did it, he submissive peed.

EDIT: I think that one incident is the reason, to this day, that Kane has problems with submissive peeing if we scold him too harshly -- even though we give the same scolding to Roxie who doesn't have the same reaction.

How does she react to the alpha rolls? Does she struggle really hard, and keep struggling? Struggle really hard and then accept it (shown by not moving, laying her head to the side, avoiding eye contact, licking her lips, etc)? Or immediately accept it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure you aren't overdoing the alpha rolls. With softer dogs, it can really mess with their head, although I don't think that's an issue with you.

We could alpha roll Roxie all day and she'd know her place and accept it, but Kane is softer personality-wise than her. We tried it with him when he was a puppy and it freaked him out so bad the one time we did it, he submissive peed.

EDIT: I think that one incident is the reason, to this day, that Kane has problems with submissive peeing if we scold him too harshly -- even though we give the same scolding to Roxie who doesn't have the same reaction.

How does she react to the alpha rolls? Does she struggle really hard, and keep struggling? Struggle really hard and then accept it (shown by not moving, laying her head to the side, avoiding eye contact, licking her lips, etc)? Or immediately accept it?
Well, as a terrier, I suppose she would struggle w.o end. Yes she does'nt make eye contact. I growl in her ear, and when I let her go, she seems very submissive .

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Not necessarily. If Roxie is being particularly out of control and we alpha roll her, she will struggle for a few seconds, 10-20 seconds, and then back down by laying her head to the side, avoiding eye contact, and just lying there.

IMO, alpha rolling should only be used to make a point that you are in control and they need to listen to you. That's it. The second your dog understands that point, you should allow them up. It sounds like your dog is getting the point, by avoiding eye contact when you roll her over.

Wen you let her go, what does she do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts