Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Gator and Caesar on their first trip to the dog park. They loved it. Had a blast chasing other dogs around. Poor Gator felt overwhelmed though. He is just a puppy and all the other dogs are MUCH bigger then he is. He runs away from the others and as soon as the dog catches up with him, he lays down and plays dead. Another "parent" there said that he is saying "Rub my belly if ya think Im cute" another says "PLEASE dont eat me! Im tooooo cute!"

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Did you take any pictures? Im not big on dog parks for many reasons especially with this breed, Id think twice about taking your pit mix there . Tons of threads on this issue on here if you look , gator may be ok he isnt labelled as a bully breed but there is alot of disease and illness to be caught at dog parks that alone keeps me away from them. next time you gotta take pics though would love to see them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning to take pictures but I lost my phone several days ago. I was soooo :mad: that I couldn't get those pictures. No one had a problem with them and this park is required to have records of shots and else on hand. I was also afraid of Caesar going to the park cuz he is MOSTLY PIT but everyone there loved to play around with him and spoiled him up with oohhhs and what a cutie. I was surprised.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I was planning to take pictures but I lost my phone several days ago. I was soooo :mad: that I couldn't get those pictures. No one had a problem with them and this park is required to have records of shots and else on hand. I was also afraid of Caesar going to the park cuz he is MOSTLY PIT but everyone there loved to play around with him and spoiled him up with oohhhs and what a cutie. I was surprised.
It's not because of others that we don't like dog parks :)

I read everything and I decided dog parks aren't for Sasha, or she decided that herself when she started showing her DA.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
Most owners in dog parks will act the same way TIL a dog fight starts up and then its the horrible pitbull and the many reasons they should be banned.
It would NOT matter if the other dog started the fight, was harrassing or bullying your pup they would still look at YOU and your PITBULL.
At best I would suggest you go when its empty or very few dogs whos owners are mindful of their dog and not off to the side gossiping ( if you must do dog parks ) though we would all suggest against it.

Remember you do not know if or when your dog will show DA ....

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Please read this thread if you haven't already. Dog Parks are not suitable for our breed because of the Dog Aggression that's been bred into our dog's even if your dog or puppy hasn't shown DA that simply means the dog hasn't shown it YET however genetically they are hard wired to fight therefore it's best not to risk it by taking your dog to a dog park and allow the dog to play with other strange dog's off the leash. There are better way's to socialize a young pup under controlled means by taking them to obedience classes or to places like Pet Smart where the dog can have controlled interaction with other dogs. Also if you have a pup it's best not to take them out until they have had all of their shots. This breed often thrives best in a single pet home but can be around other dog's within the home so long as they are supervised at all times and tolerate one another. Should you have any issues in the home that is when crating and rotating becomes the best option to avoid any further fight's or injuries to the pet's in the home. Remember your pet does not have to initiate a fight but if provoked they will most likely finish it. Dog Aggression is something that can be isolated, and may only occur with certain dog's or situations. Or it could be full blown where as the dog will not tolerate any dog no matter who it is. That is why it's best not to undermined the genetics of these dogs a lot of times DA comes completely unexpected to the owner because they were not prepared or didn't have a full understanding of the breeds genetics and what these dog's have been bred to do our breed has a long history of blood sports behind them this is what they were bred for and because of that the dog aggression is still very much alive in this breed nor can it be trained out of the dogs because it's genetic. DA is simply managed by controlling it and taking the proper steps to ensure the safety of your animals as well as the safety of other animals.

A good read for you....

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I read in another thread that Caesar is 3 years old. Please use caution. Some Pit Bulls turn on early, others not until they are 4 or even older. There are safer ways than the dog park to exercise and socialize. :)

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I wouldn't take any dog to a dog park, it doesn't have to be your dog who starts it and your dog can suffer. Either get a negative association with other dogs or lose his life if he does damage to the other dog.

My dog is a GSD mix, I wouldn't step foot in a dog park with him. Too risky.

If you get active with dog clubs, dog sports, etc, you can find plenty of people with stable dogs to do doggy play dates with.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Can we just be happy that they had a good time at the park? I understand you're trying to help, but not EVERY pit/pit mix is guaranteed to get into a fight at a dog park. I took Lina to the park this past Saturday and had a blast with other dogs there. I have some pics which I'll post a bit later.

But I think it comes down to being a responsible owner which most (if not everyone) here are.

I'm glad you all had a great time and certainly wouldn't discourage you from doing it again. I'm not into playing MMQ.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Can we just be happy that they had a good time at the park? I understand you're trying to help, but not EVERY pit/pit mix is guaranteed to get into a fight at a dog park. I took Lina to the park this past Saturday and had a blast with other dogs there. I have some pics which I'll post a bit later.

But I think it comes down to being a responsible owner which most (if not everyone) here are.

I'm glad you all had a great time and certainly wouldn't discourage you from doing it again. I'm not into playing MMQ.
would think that you would no better as well ... all it takes is one time and your right ,not every pit bull or pit bullmix will get into it but it can happen. Ask any of us who have had dogs get along for over a year together and then one day it changed { happened to alot of us, if it hasnt to you then great your lucky}. The thing is if another dog starts something this breed isnt usually one to back down and will usually end things then who is to blame? the cute lil family lab or your pit bull? is it worth the risk to you? to your dog? it sure isnt for mine. taking a pit bull to a dog park isnt about being a responsible owner, responsible owner doesnt put there dog in that situation. They dont set there dog up to fail.
If you want to take a chance that your dog will be one of the ones who doesnt ever have issues at the park , and wont have another dominent rude mannered dog to start something then thats on you. It isnt worth the risk IMO, and everyone here who has responded about dog parks are trying to educate other new owners who come on and get these dogs thinking they are dog park dogs and can all get along.

Reactions: aus_staffy

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
would think that you would no better as well ... all it takes is one time and your right ,not every pit bull or pit bullmix will get into it but it can happen. Ask any of us who have had dogs get along for over a year together and then one day it changed { happened to alot of us, if it hasnt to you then great your lucky}. The thing is if another dog starts something this breed isnt usually one to back down and will usually end things then who is to blame? the cute lil family lab or your pit bull? is it worth the risk to you? to your dog? it sure isnt for mine. taking a pit bull to a dog park isnt about being a responsible owner, responsible owner doesnt put there dog in that situation. They dont set there dog up to fail.
If you want to take a chance that your dog will be one of the ones who doesnt ever have issues at the park , and wont have another dominent rude mannered dog to start something then thats on you. It isnt worth the risk IMO, and everyone here who has responded about dog parks are trying to educate other new owners who come on and get these dogs thinking they are dog park dogs and can all get along.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
11,428 Posts

You don't take risks with genetics it's as simple as this if you don't want to worry about DA and your dog's fighting with other dogs get another breed no one put a gun to your head and forced you to buy a dog that has 100+ years of dog fighting behind them. It's irresponsible to own a breed that's genetically hard wired for dog aggression and then let them loose at a dog park because your dog has not shown any level of dog aggression. That's like me saying well I taught my kids not to play with gun's so I don't have to lock them up because I taught my youngsters they are not supposed to touch them. If god forbid my child picks up that gun and accidentally shoots his sister you think the judge is going to buy me telling him that I taught them not to touch the guns? The point is DA in this breed can be completely unpredictable so why take the risk when you have all the control not to allow it to happen in the first place? All your doing is putting someone else's dogs at risk when you have a duty to society and to your own dogs to be a responsible pet owner and protect your damn dogs. Is it fair that someone else's dog should be killed because I took my pit bull who has years of dog aggression bred into it to a dog park allowing someone's innocent pet to possibly get hurt or killed? And you wonder why society views these dogs in such a negative light? Keep your dog's in check and keep them away from dog parks and we wouldn't have these problems. These dog's are not hurting to play with other dogs it's not a requirement for these dog's to have other dog friends. Before people buy a pit bull they need to research their history and decide if a commitment to dealing with Dog Aggression is something they want to add to their lifestyle. If you want a dog bred to play with other dogs get a lab or something that is not genetically bred to kill anything on four legs.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
You don't take risks with genetics it's as simple as this if you don't want to worry about DA and your dog's fighting with other dogs get another breed no one put a gun to your head and forced you to buy a dog that has 100+ years of dog fighting behind them. It's irresponsible to own a breed that's genetically hard wired for dog aggression and then let them loose at a dog park because your dog has not shown any level of dog aggression. That's like me saying well I taught my kids not to play with gun's so I don't have to lock them up because I taught my youngsters they are not supposed to touch them. If god forbid my child picks up that gun and accidentally shoots his sister you think the judge is going to buy me telling him that I taught them not to touch the guns? The point is DA in this breed can be completely unpredictable so why take the risk when you have all the control not to allow it to happen in the first place? All your doing is putting someone else's dogs at risk when you have a duty to society and to your own dogs to be a responsible pet owner and protect your damn dogs. Is it fair that someone else's dog should be killed because I took my pit bull who has years of dog aggression bred into it to a dog park allowing someone's innocent pet to possibly get hurt or killed? And you wonder why society views these dogs in such a negative light? Keep your dog's in check and keep them away from dog parks and we wouldn't have these problems. These dog's are not hurting to play with other dogs it's not a requirement for these dog's to have other dog friends. Before people buy a pit bull they need to research their history and decide if a commitment to dealing with Dog Aggression is something they want to add to their lifestyle. If you want a dog bred to play with other dogs get a lab or something that is not genetically bred to kill anything on four legs.
:goodpost: well said sadie

·
Good with tools
9,786 Posts
Ive rescued/fostered hundreds of dogs. I can say half of them were able to live the dogpark lifestyle with a good leader. even then, 1 bad vibe is all it takes and its on. My perception of the other half would never be put in a situation where another dog would be hurt. I see no problem using dogparks for a pup as long as your aware that eventually the willingness to tear up another dog will come out. its burned into there brain . deffinately not worth the risk

·
Registered
776 Posts
Here is the meat of the matter .. every chance you take with a dog that even looks remotly like a pitbull to any1 in the are /that gets ahold of the information , is a chance you take with not just your dog but ours as well . Every bad event , even if it isnt your dogs fault , is another number for the statistics. Walk your well behaved dalg thru town , ON A LEASH UNDER CONTROL~ let the world see them behaving well UNDER YOUR CONTROL! stay away from uncontrolled dogs and use good judgement . Dogs in a dog park are not under any1s control...
BSL is real ... dont help it

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I think people get the wrong perception about this forum and what it means to be a responsible APBT or Pitbull owner. The new members show up and don't know any better so we take our time to tell them what the rest of the people at those dog parks are not going to tell them the TRUTH that get's perceived as being mean or jumping on the newbies when in reality we actually care a great deal about the breed and the dogs and are trying to reach out to the new comer's and tell them the truth hoping they will take heed and appreciate what someone else won't tell them we can have the best mannered dogs at the park but we can't predict what other strange dog's will do or even what the owner's will do. Most of the people at those dog parks are not only there to socialize their dogs they are there to socialize with other dog owners not paying any attention to what goes on around them. I enjoy the right and the freedom to own this wonderful breed and I don't want that right taken away from me because of other irresponsible dog owner's you have to look at what's at risk and out weigh the benefit's and the risks... The breed is in serious trouble of being banned and out lawed all over the world. Is a dog park really worth not being able to own this breed someday? Because regardless of wether you believe your dog will hurt another dog or not you can't say for sure when those genetics are going to fire up DA can be so unpredictable with these dogs not all of them are ready to kill anything in their path way some are selective and some can show it once and it may never show again but one thing is for sure we all know that the breed has a history filled with DA it's just in them to fight. I love my dog's enough that I am not willing to take such a risk it's just not worth it to me when I do something stupid with my dogs it doesn't just affect me and my dog's it affects the entire breed I think people forget to think about that there is a chain reaction effect that these mishaps have on the breed as a whole. I can't in good conscious tell someone it's ok to take an APBT to the dog park when I myself know it's wrong. Now to the OP that is your dog and you have to live with your choices should anything happen no one here can force you to listen but I urge you to take out the time to do your research and looking at the risks involved forget about what your dog does and doesn't do and look at the possible risks involved and ask yourself is it worth it? If you think it is than by all means keep on going to the dog park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tell my clients no matter what breed of dog you own you should never go to a dog park. Not only are they are breeding ground for disease but you cannot control what other people bring in. Your dog may not start the fight but many times a pit type dog will finish it. Once years ago I was walking my dogs down a path by the fenced dog park and a fight broke out. A really sensitive lab puppy was being submissive and all of a sudden all the dogs in the park attacked the puppy. It is pack mentality, the owners were just sitting there no one knew what to do. I put my dogs on a down stay, jumped the fence, grabbed the puppy and threw her over the fence to save her. I got bit by several of the dogs there and they were labs, shepherds, and other breeds that you would not think would attack someone. When I was a vet tech we would get dogs there were in fights and had to be stitched all the time from the dog park. It is not a good idea for any dog to go to dog parks but especially a breed as strong as ours. Who will get blamed if the poodle attacked a pit and the pit killed it...... not the pits fault but then you see on the news pit bull mauls poodle..... What about the behavior problems that can come along if your dog is attacked at a park? I have seen many dogs gets defensive or even DA after being attacked and are now fearful of other dogs.

In all is it worth it? No not really, find a fenced in area and play fetch or have a few friends who's dogs all get along for a play date but say away from dog parks.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
You can go to Basketball courts, or tennis courts that are fenced in. You can get a long lead and be able to toss a ball in an open field for your dog to fetch, but please do not go to dog parks. there are so so many reason to avoid them, don't take the risk of what MIGHT happen, that's setting your dog and others dogs up for failure.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I came home yesterday to find Roxy with a little cut (looked worse than it was) above her eye after my wife had stopped a minor fight (that Roxy had started as usual). These are two dogs who have lived together for over six years. If that had been a strange dog at a dog park that Nitro had drawn blood from, who do you think would be blamed?

The way I look at it is this: You buckle your seatbelt every time you get in your car but how many car accidents have you had?

3,968 Posts

yea some apbts will never or have never got in a fight their entire life span. and some apbts are super great at dog parks. but a lot of the times its not even your dog you have to worry about. just because someone is a great owner doesnt mean everyone at the park is. and it doesnt mean there is no dog at the park that wont start a fight. i have seen many fights at dog parks between various breeds. i think dog parks are not such a great idea in the first place. its like taking a gamble. i preffer to let my dogs run free in spaciouse areas with no roads or houses anywhere near by. i know some people don't have that, but theres other means of safely socializing your dogs and letting them exercise. not trying to argue or offend. just seemed like a good point to bring up..especially if u go to a park where it doesnt matter if the dogs are fixed or not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts