Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear inventor of prong collar...I love you

Ok my 8 month old girl has been using a choker since she was about 3 months old and it has worked great for her until recently that is. As she is getting older and stronger she will actually pull her choker tight, which then makes it ineffective. I purchased a prong collar last night and from the second I put it on her and gave her the heel command she was glued to my side. No pulling at all. Its fantastic. I'm trying to put it on her for training purposes only that way she knows its time to work. Does anybody else use these collars for training only or do you use them all the time?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i've been contemplating on getting one

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
love my prongs best training tool i have for stubborn dogs!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
My girl actually has a scratch/cut on her neck right now from her choker. She got a hair up her arse and decided to take off running while on leash and when she got to the end of the 6ft leash that choker grabbed her and cut her.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I trained with a prong after trying all of the other options, aside from a choke chain. We still use it if we are going somewhere where she is likely to be really excited.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Both types of collar are training tools. If you are having to use them at all times they are not being used right. They are used to train a dog and constant use is taking the easy way out and not actually training the dog.

This is not directed at you but others reading about these collars.

I love prong collars and they have saved me a lot of training hassle with driven dogs. They are quick and to the point.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Both types of collar are training tools. If you are having to use them at all times they are not being used right. They are used to train a dog and constant use is taking the easy way out and not actually training the dog.

This is not directed at you but others reading about these collars.

I love prong collars and they have saved me a lot of training hassle with driven dogs.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sidney is the one that gets the prong collar the most. She's a bit stubborn. It's a great tool to have.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I have always used prong collars in my training methods with excellent results. It however isn't the only training tool that works. Tools are only as good as the people who are using them. Excellent training tool for hard dogs and shouldn't be used for all dogs. What may work for some may not for others and counter productive.

I helped train a golden and the lady wanted to try the prong collar, though i insisted productivity was in full swing she wanted to "speed" up this process and the only thing i could do after all the information provided was ensure she used it properly. Needless to say she got her money back after she saw my warnings happen. Dog was soft, instantly shut down and completely undid weeks of work.

Not all dogs will benefit with them, need to keep that in mind as well to anyone reading and wanting to try.

Smaller the prongs, greater the correction.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Having a prong collar on a dog is like power steering in a car ;)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
prong helped a lot with Sasha's walking.. Still use it for walks to keep her under control when she gets too excited.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Prongs are great but if you are teaching things like sit, down, stay, and other basic commands have two collars on the dog. The prong and the buckle collar. I do most of my training and teaching of new commands on a soft collar so I do not correct the dog for something they do not know yet. Only when the dog fully understands the command then blows me off will I correct. First on the buckle collar and if that gets no response then on the prong. Having both on allows you to switch back and fourth. Even my high drive driven dogs do not need to be corrected on a prong all the time, I want a correction not to shut them down. Prongs are great for many dogs (not all dogs like the example KMdogs gave) just don't over use them in training, when going for walks yes it is power steering!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I used a prong on both of mine and recently went away from a prong with sarge to a harness... He did well on the prong but has responded appropriately to the harness... Nikita is still young though so still gets the prong on walks when I know she will be excited... She gets the harness any other time though...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts