Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tyson is a year old now...and his mother just had another litter of puppies. We are definitely going to get one, and I really wanted a female. I'm just worried about them getting it on. (don't know how else to put it). Tyson is getting neutered next week...so I'm not worried about puppies. Its still a little gross to me though because they have the same mother.
I have never had two dogs that were related, so I wanted to get some input. Would it be better to get a male? I need to make a decision and I really want a female...but I would love some opinions from people that know what they are talking about.
The puppies are 3 weeks, so we have a while...but I'm ready to pick and put my deposit down.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Go with a female. If they get it on, they get it on... your dog is neutered so don't stress... after all it's only gonna be gross to anyone who knows they're half siblings and thinks along those lines. it's just nature. To deter him from mounting her I would have her spayed early... it won't guarantee it won't happen, but she won't give off the girly hormones to make him go stupid.

Reactions: StaffyDaddy

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
get the opposite sex than Tyson but always be ready if you have to separate them.
The question to ask your self before you get a new dog is,
"am I willing to separate them later in life if they do not get along, like crate and rotate"
If the answer is yes, then get a puppy
If the answer is no, do not get a puppy and just love Tyson.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
I would take your dog over there to meet the new puppies, and see how he does around them. Also, I would choose a gender which would please YOU, and not your existing dog. Bringing in another dog just so that our pups can "be friends" or "siblings" is not a well informed decision. But, if you want to make things easier, I would go with the opposite sex, as two males will eventually bump heads. As long as your boy now is getting fixed, I see no problem in bringing in a little female, if that's what YOU really want. :D

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
get the opposite sex than Tyson but always be ready if you have to separate them.
"am I willing to separate them later in life if they do not get along, like crate and rotate"
:goodpost:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the help guys!! Tyson is my baby and he comes first...he actually does great with other dogs. I don't know if you have seen it, but there is a post on here about a 4 day old puppy...I raised a beagle/jack russell mix from 12 hours old...and now he is 6 months. He is going to live with my sister. Its hard to get rid of him but I knew I didn't want to keep him and she really wants him. But he is male, they both are not neutered at the moment, and get along great.

Tyson has never been aggressive towards him, although I know it can always happen. They play together all of the time. But I'm not a little dog person, and we have known since the first day if the puppy made it, my sister was getting him.

So...Hopefully Tyson will do great with another dog, but I know there is always a possibility that he wont. I think I'm ready for that. I really do appreciate everyones thoughts and responses.

3,968 Posts
awh soo cute! im liking the 2nd one!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I like the fist one to, wait no no, I like the second and the third. $%*t, I like them all.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
oooooh does the first one have a little brindle in it? my rudi had a little brindle when she was little, we picked her out at 5 weeks, and now it has come out a lot more and i love it. i like the first and second, but the first the most :) so cuuuute

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I really like the markings on the 2nd one! But it's important to remember you should pick a happy and alert puppy. The puppy should come to you readily, interested and may be a little nippy. Don't pick a pup that shys away and hides in the corner. So above all, color and markings shouldn't be what makes you choose the pup! I admit to being guilty about choosing the "cutest" pup in the litter before I knew better. But Helena is an awesome dog. Although she was only female and the runt, she was the boss of her litter. She pushed her brothers around all the time! lol It is hard not to pick the most eye appealing pup. I think it's ok if you have your mind set on a female, because it generally works out better with any breed of dog. I had a dalmation male and a small mixed dog as a child (so this wasn't my responsibility at my age) But the Dal got to be about a year old and the little dog went after a piece of steak he had and the Dal almost killed him, and that happened more than once. I remember pulling the Dal off my little dog when I was like 8 or 9. I was in the backyard alone playing with the Dal and my dad unknowing that I had Patch out, let my little dog out. I know crazy that I broke up a fight like that! Both were intact.

Although Onyx my 3 mo old pup is a near spitting image of Helena, I didn't choose him based on that. We picked him up first and he was excited and outgoing. He was pretty middle of the road, def not shy, but not the most dominant in the litter.

I hope you enjoy your new pup!

Oh and mounting and humping another dog isn't really "getting it on" Most times dogs do this as a test of dominance. Either the dog getting humped submits, or fights back. Even our puppies were doing that to establish their order.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
amen She's Got Heart, whatever you do don't pick based off of appearance. In all honesty you should wait until these pups are at the minimum of 6 weeks old before chosing your puppy. They are like little piglets right now and you can't tell anything about the over all build of the puppy nor it's personality.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
OMG they are all so cute! I would definitely get a female, as you have a better chance of them getting along. Nothing is guaranteed though, so be ready to crate and rotate if need be. I have 1 male and 2 females, only 1 is a pit, but honestly my EB is the grouchy old man. I don't worry he will start anything, but I do worry he sends Lady the wrong signs and will piss her off lol. My 2 girls love each other and are inseparable, for now, though my pug is so submissive, and has such idol worship for Lady, I don't really think that will change. If you get 2 boys, you are inviting trouble IMO. Some multi male households do well, but even in other breeds that aren't know for HA multiple males often bicker or fight. I would get the new pup spayed asap, before the 1st heat, that way you don't have to worry about hormones or mammary cancer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much!! I'll definitely keep all of this in mind! I'm going on pictures right now, but I'm going to see them Saturday!! So I'm pretty excited!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts