Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Lisa do you know of a good place to get some? I'm cutting out a lot of Belle's fun "bones" and whatnot and am looking for something durable that she can chew on for a long time

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Pm whitney she had a deal on them awhile back.

I love it when we have deer atlers around here. We have a few that we had in the yard for a few years.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
thats funny. i had never heard of em before until i stopped into a local pet/grooming shop here that sold them. said they were safe and don't splinter. sounded good to me but were expensive... i didn't think to check when i went to the feed store for cow knuckles... u think butchers would have those layin around? probly more around hunting season and such but what u think? and does it matter what kind of antlers? its all pretty much the same anyhow right? pretty naive on anything having to do with hunting and deer... my bad :)

205 Posts
I would not give them to my dogs. They are much harder than bone, and have many sharp edges. Also, a hunter is not going to give away or sell large racks, so the ones you do get are small, narrow and sharp. They would cost way more than buying leg bones from a butcher too. I just do not think they are practical. I personally think they would pose a health risk(choking, wearing down of teeth, and possible intestinal problems like blockage). I worry enough about all the raw bones my dog get, let alone something harder and smaller.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I guess you have never seen one a dog has chewed on Howard. I have always given my dogs deer atlers and I have never had any trouble with them splintering or the dog choking. I have had my dogs get their mouth stuck in a cut off piece of leg bone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts