Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dirty Girl
926 Posts
omg, I LOVE my dehydrating liver treats I bought. You must let me know how well this works!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We do too Kayla! I just ran out and picked some up from the butcher. I'm doing pork livers right now. They don't smell too bad to me. But smells don't bother me too much anymore. So it could just be me :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Dirty Girl
926 Posts
How'd ya go it?! Like oven temp and time?

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
OMG I gag everytime I make them. I have actually used the side burner on my Grill for the first times so I can boil them outside ad not inside. Then I run an extension cord outside to my dehydrator and drive the neighborhood dogs nuts when thy walk past lmao. I feel kinda bad. I watch the owners wonder why their dogs want to get to my porch so bad. Lol. Mel stands watch too like he can do anything if they did make it to it lol.

I find if you dehydrate for like 4 hours then use scissors to cut them into little pieces and then continue to dehydrate for a few more hours it worked better for me than cutting them while frozen. They are slippery little buggers!!! Hahaha. Do you have to blanch before the oven? Or is that just when you use a dehydrator I wonder. I know with the dehydrator try want them blanched to reach 160 degrees. I would imagine the oven would be 160 so I'm also curious :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything I read said to do 170 in the oven 6-8 hours until they are like a jerky. My oven is busted unfortunately so I have to crank it to 500 for it to work. They were in the oven for around an hour and a half doing it that way-and until I figure out what's wrong with the oven that's how I have to do it. I'm going to leave the second batch in a bit longer and see how they turn out though. I let the dogs try a piece and they loved it though. Breaks apart really easy so I can tear pieces up into smaller ones for training them. The pork liver really doesn't smell that bad haha. I want to do beef next and try it out I just didn't see any at the butcher when I was there.

·
Dirty Girl
926 Posts
Yeah I love that they break up easily. I'll have to try that when my freezedried treats run out.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The store bought ones we did have I didn't like how crumbly they got. The whole bottom of the bucket was just little crumbs about an inch high. I hope this second batch turns out good too. The dogs have been drooling so these will work great for training :)

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Everything I read said to do 170 in the oven 6-8 hours until they are like a jerky. My oven is busted unfortunately so I have to crank it to 500 for it to work. They were in the oven for around an hour and a half doing it that way-and until I figure out what's wrong with the oven that's how I have to do it. I'm going to leave the second batch in a bit longer and see how they turn out though. I let the dogs try a piece and they loved it though. Breaks apart really easy so I can tear pieces up into smaller ones for training them. The pork liver really doesn't smell that bad haha. I want to do beef next and try it out I just didn't see any at the butcher when I was there.

hahahaha how do you make cupcakes!!!???? lol

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't :'( lol I don't bake. My poor husband. He never gets anything special. Just dinner lol. I told him today "did you see what I bought finally???" He looked really excited like I was making a dessert and then I showed the livers lol. When I bake food I have to add an extra 20-30 minutes to cook time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts