Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my situation, and the people who voice to me in this thread will be the deciding factor for whether or not I keep her.

I got a pup from this lady at my work. I am also a student. I wake up for her at 6 so I can take her out to pee and eat, then poo. In general I have to be at class 8-9 hours, so that makes for her being in the cage from when I leave to when I get home (my roommate is a stupid bitch and its a long story). The pup is 11 weeks old.

So here is my question: I don't want her developing some kind of condition due to those 8-9 hours of neglect. Will it be in her best interest if I found her a new home? Also, I must say that if it weren't for my roommate or if I would have had a back yard, I know I am the best option for her...I am EXTREMELY protective and I try and feed her the best. I have already potty trained her and kennel trained her.

Please help and READ ALL OF THIS POST. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I dont see this being an issue for most dogs however being a puppy she may not be able to hold it that long and you may come home to messes, how has she been so far? alot of people work normal jobs 8 hours or so and have dogs and they are fine. As long as you make the time you have at home count then its fine. Like you said getting up early to get her out to the bathroom and maybe a good play time to tire her a bit, if energy is left to pent up in her you may have some other issues arise. Things like whinning , barking, destroying crates, ect if she doesnt get enough exercise as she gets older. If when you get home you can do the same get her out right away for a walk and play and she is able to be free for the rest of the day Id say its ok. Now if your someone who goes out alot and has a party lifestyle where she would be crated for more time ontop of that then you may want to think of a better suited home for her. if your willing to make it work with her then it will be just fine , its up to you and how much your willing to put into it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
another option I dont know if you have this there but we have dog walking companys here with trained people { not random off the street stranger} who will come and walk the dog once a day and let them out . Could always look into something like that if needed, just make sure its a 1 dog walk and not where they take 5-6 dogs out at once.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont see this being an issue for most dogs however being a puppy she may not be able to hold it that long and you may come home to messes, how has she been so far? alot of people work normal jobs 8 hours or so and have dogs and they are fine. As long as you make the time you have at home count then its fine. Like you said getting up early to get her out to the bathroom and maybe a good play time to tire her a bit, if energy is left to pent up in her you may have some other issues arise. Things like whinning , barking, destroying crates, ect if she doesnt get enough exercise as she gets older. If when you get home you can do the same get her out right away for a walk and play and she is able to be free for the rest of the day Id say its ok. Now if your someone who goes out alot and has a party lifestyle where she would be crated for more time ontop of that then you may want to think of a better suited home for her. if your willing to make it work with her then it will be just fine , its up to you and how much your willing to put into it.
I used to be a football player/sprinter. I can tire her out like no other! She is surprisingly good at being able to hold in her bathroom, I am not worrying about just washing the blanket. I am not a huge party person, the only time I would spend away on top of that would be studying for tests. Although on occasion I do go out with my friends maybe 1x a month.

She is still young so that's mainly what worried me. But you think its gonna be okay...I will keep her. Shes a good pup, I mean she is still young and teething, but shes not been here for a week but she learns SO fast.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another option I dont know if you have this there but we have dog walking companys here with trained people { not random off the street stranger} who will come and walk the dog once a day and let them out . Could always look into something like that if needed, just make sure its a 1 dog walk and not where they take 5-6 dogs out at once.
I would but I couldn't afford it for sure. Is there any way I can make her den more habitable so her time is spent more enjoyably when I am gone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know it's tough because of your busy schedule but as angelbaby suggested, there are options out there if you are truly committed. It is really up to you. I'm sure you will be fine. Just make time for the pup when you are free as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
just make sure she has a secure water bowl in her crate the ones that clip on are best { mine like to tip them over lol} but with potty training you may want to just do water inthe morning and then when you get home until she has it down or she may have to go alot when you arent home. You can offer a blanket in there as long as she isnt a chewer as you dont want her to choke. If you have something tough enough like a kong or antlers are great , something she can chew on but not chew peices off to choke on or digest. May just keep her busy . dont leave anything stuffed , or soft where she can eat and cause a blockage. gets easier when they get older. hopefully she is tired from work outs int he morning and sleeps a few hours atleast lol.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Forgive me for being rash. But there are alot of folks in the same situation. Please please for your sake, the breeds sake, and for folks like you who care about the breed, suck it up. The satifaction will far out way the hard work in the end. Besides my animal rescue already hasmore pit mixes than I can shake a fist at. As of right now im at work 60+ hour a week turning no profit. Living in a one bedroom. With 2 dogs of my own. 5 fosters who are almost 8 weeks old. All simply because I give a damn. It aint easy but I sure as heck sleep better at night

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forgive me for being rash. But there are alot of folks in the same situation. Please please for your sake, the breeds sake, and for folks like you who care about the breed, suck it up. The satifaction will far out way the hard work in the end. Besides my animal rescue already hasmore pit mixes than I can shake a fist at. As of right now im at work 60+ hour a week turning no profit. Living in a one bedroom. With 2 dogs of my own. 5 fosters who are almost 8 weeks old. All simply because I give a damn. It aint easy but I sure as heck sleep better at night
I respect that!!

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know it's tough because of your busy schedule but as angelbaby suggested, there are options out there if you are truly committed. It is really up to you. I'm sure you will be fine. Just make time for the pup when you are free as much as possible.
just make sure she has a secure water bowl in her crate the ones that clip on are best { mine like to tip them over lol} but with potty training you may want to just do water inthe morning and then when you get home until she has it down or she may have to go alot when you arent home. You can offer a blanket in there as long as she isnt a chewer as you dont want her to choke. If you have something tough enough like a kong or antlers are great , something she can chew on but not chew peices off to choke on or digest. May just keep her busy . dont leave anything stuffed , or soft where she can eat and cause a blockage. gets easier when they get older. hopefully she is tired from work outs int he morning and sleeps a few hours atleast lol.
Thank you guys so much. I almost gave her up today, but I KNOW it...I just have a feeling that if I take care of this dog it will somewhere down the line take care of me.

This wasn't an easy decision at all. I have a very good heart, so this moral decision wasn't for my benefit...it was 100% for her. And my chest would LITERALLY hurt knowing she was crying when I left (my pos roommate treats her like garbage, and forced me to keep her in my room).

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Ya darn right that dog will take care of you. A dog is only twice as good as its owner. Like my old man always said " you can lock your wife and your dog in two seperate trunks but only one is gonna lick you when they get out". Please dont try though

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
. Like my old man always said " you can lock your wife and your dog in two seperate trunks but only one is gonna lick you when they get out". Please dont try though
LMFAO , one comes out licking one comes out swinging lol better make sure you remember who is in which trunk.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
id get the biggest crate possible, or a little play pen like they do with babies.
If the pup is not fully housetrained then getting a big crate for it to stay it for that long will not help it.It will use the bathroom on one side of the crate and sleep on the other.
To the op,as long as the pup is getting plenty of play,exercise,and socialization while you're not at school then he should be fine.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
id get the biggest crate possible, or a little play pen like they do with babies.
Well right now shes hovering around 20 ish lbs. I think by the time she is 4 months she will be at least 30-35 lbs. So right now I am gonna keep her in the crate I have (enough to get up, and turn around comfortably, but not enough to poop in one end and retreat)...then when I move away from this hell hole I am getting her a house with a nice backyard to run and play. The semester ends in may, and my lease ends in July. So just a couple months left and I will find her something better.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I would also get a lock on your room if you can, if your roommate is a piece of shit, you don't want them messing with your dog, good or bad, when you are not around.

As far as the hours go, the puppy is young, and once she learns and grows and knows what is and is not chew-able you maybe able to leaving her in your room. If you find a new home, good for you. If you are bringing her to a rescue or a shelter it would probably be 23 hours in a cage, so the 9 you are having 'em do is nothing!

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would also get a lock on your room if you can, if your roommate is a piece of shit, you don't want them messing with your dog, good or bad, when you are not around.

As far as the hours go, the puppy is young, and once she learns and grows and knows what is and is not chew-able you maybe able to leaving her in your room. If you find a new home, good for you. If you are bringing her to a rescue or a shelter it would probably be 23 hours in a cage, so the 9 you are having 'em do is nothing!
No I would never take her to a shelter ever. Even if that was the last resort. I know most of them euthanize dogs after a certain time. I don't want that in the back of my head. I was gonna giver her to someone via craigslist, but I don't know how much better that would be.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
No I would never take her to a shelter ever. Even if that was the last resort. I know most of them euthanize dogs after a certain time. I don't want that in the back of my head. I was gonna giver her to someone via craigslist, but I don't know how much better that would be.
exactly! :) you a good owner for wondering, some do not even care. I am sure it will work out great once she is adjusted (and you are too, lol)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts