Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I have a pit who is about 3 years old and within the last year or two he has developed an allergy to flea and he is biting his lower back and base of tail until it is hairless and bleeding,Ive tried everything but cant seem to find a long term remedy.I have bought a flea collar the was expensive but guaranteed to last 7 months but only lasted 1 ( company refused to reimburse or replace) ive tried the expensive medicated shampoos,he is an outside/garage sheltered dog and is going insane.Can anyone help me out with some tricks or suggestions on meds.thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Flea collars don't work.

Nexgard or Bravecto are both good flea/tick preventatives. Both are in the form of chew tabs, Nexgard is monthly and Bravecto lasts 3 months.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Here is a sure way to stop the itching and start him healing up--bring him inside for a while where there wont be any flees. This will allow the medication you are giving him to take effect, and give him some much needed rest. Treat his outdoor area in a big way. This may help control the flee population.

Thank you,

Henry

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
If you suspect there are any fleas in your house, I'd suggest investing in some flea traps. Also, never buy a flea collar, like BCdogs said, they never work and are a waste of money.

As far as flea medications go I've always used K9 advantix II, but Frontline Plus is pretty good too, I've heard. Both of these (and most flea treatments I've seen) have to be applied monthly, but they've worked well in my experience.

Anyway, good luck. If none of these work, I'd suggest going to your vet.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
If you suspect there are any fleas in your house, I'd suggest investing in some flea traps. Also, never buy a flea collar, like BCdogs said, they never work and are a waste of money.

As far as flea medications go I've always used K9 advantix II, but Frontline Plus is pretty good too, I've heard. Both of these (and most flea treatments I've seen) have to be applied monthly, but they've worked well in my experience.

Anyway, good luck. If none of these work, I'd suggest going to your vet.
I used also the same, but this year I use the Frontline combo, bc there was a huge amount of ticks this year, worked very good, no fleas and ticks

·
Registered
3 Posts
My male was the same way, he reacted way worse too fleas than other dogs ive seen, try giving him a bath in dawn dish detergent, it is supposed to kill all the fleas, i did this and he stopped digging and scratching, it definitely helped alot. If he is inside then fleas are inside and no matter what you do it will keep happening unless you kill them like with some sort of flea bomb... I did this and give him a monthly pill that is very expensive from the vet and hes 100 percent better. Cant remember the name of the pill and cant find the package, i will post when i can find it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it may not be just flea. it could be an allergy. I have been doing a lot of research lately, I found that some grains were causing hot spots on Sadie. she is doing better now that she is on a grain free bran.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts