Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Technically at 6 weeks old you can give them the 4-way or even the 7-way puppy shot...but those are a lot of vaccines to put in a little 6 week old pup's system. Personally I would just to the basic Parvo/Distemper shot if you have a high risk in your area. Then you will need to wait 3 weeks and give the shot again, then wait another 3 weeks and do the shot for the last time. So a total of 3 shots spread out over 3 weeks.

However, if the risk of parvo/distemper is not common in your area you can wait till 12 weeks and only have to give the shot once and the dog will have full immunity. It's up to you but any dog under 12 weeks will need 3 sets of the same shot.

I'd wait till 12 weeks personally, since I am not crazy about over vaccination. But definitely get them started if you are in a high risk area. And deworm the pup too!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told she was already dewormed. And will need it again in 3 weeks but not sure! I wanna get the shots over with. I hear that you could give them the parvo 5way. But I'm not sure, this is my first time owning a dog without its first shots!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Most people start shots at 8 weeks.... But folks also start at 6 weeks, it's up to you. :) I'd deworm her as well because if they didnt give you any actual proof of deworming, they might not have done it. Parasites are so gross so I'd probably get a deworming that kills all sorts of worms like Panacure or one that the ingredients are pyrantel paomate/praziquantel... They are available at Tractor Supply stores as well as at pet stores. Depending on where you live Tractor supply sells the shots as well so you can just vaccinate the pup yourself. It's not hard and it's what I do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New owner to 5.5 week old pit pup!

I'm new to this site. Found it on google & would like to welcome myself and my babygirl Nina. Not sure what kind of pitbull she is. But she's very beautiful ! & she's already spoiled. I bought her from a couple not sure why she was given away at such a young age. But she was born December.31,2013. ImageUploadedByPG Free1391793460.034345.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1391793474.248749.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1391793485.288604.jpg

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
I'm new to this site. Found it on google & would like to welcome myself and my babygirl Nina. Not sure what kind of pitbull she is. But she's very beautiful ! & she's already spoiled. I bought her from a couple not sure why she was given away at such a young age. But she was born December.31,2013. View attachment 43898 View attachment 43906 View attachment 43914

She is a happy puppy, that is all that is important :)
Welcome to the fam!

She is pretty doggarn young to be separated from mama.
What are you nourishing her with? Is she already eating puppy food?
Do you have a vet apt set up for her yet? Shots!!
Any questions?? :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's eating hard puppy food which I mix with a tad bit of water to soften it a bit. She eats it perfectly fine about every 5hrs & she's going potty as well. I was thinking of setting her an appt at 8wks along with her shots & dewormed :) any tips on potty training, would like to start her early as possible.
I take her outside about 10 mins after she eats/drinks then a half hour after.
She mainly eating, going potty & sleeping :)

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Get some puppy formula for her to mix with the food. Since she is not on her mom's milk, supplementing the formula until 8 weeks along with the puppy food is a good idea.

Cute pup!

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Man Ive never really liked that puppy formula for pups that are eating healthily, but its just my humble opinion..
Id look into trying to find some raw goat milk from a farmers market or a local breeder..
Glad the young pup is doing great! Get those shots in her !!! :) Since youre away from mom go ahead and make the apt for as soon as possible. Try to keep her from "out in life" for a few weeks, especially like petsmart and places like that.. Wait until you know she has shots first..
Potty training is just repetition and the waiting game. Set an alarm and every 30 mins take her to the door, (scratch door with paw, or little bell or something) to get her used to asking to go out.. After that, its all just repetition and time :)

Reactions: ::::COACH::::

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Important question!!

My puppy will be 6 weeks in 4 days she was eating powdered formula with water mixed with it.

I now decided to give her hard puppy food and cold water. Dog food " royal canin" which this food goes up to 8lbs.

Would that be upsetting her stomach causing her to have runny, pudding looking poops.

Should I give her warm water with her food?

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
She is still very young. If this is a new food it will upset her stomach.
Also If it an inferior food her stomach isn't set up for the grains and starches in the food.

A good quality puppy food, hit with some water and allowed to "soften" is just fine.
If you have access to goats milk use that instead of water.

If the bowels don't change in a day or so get her to the vet!
Also.. get them shots in her!! it will help with bugs.. also the Food Grade DE will help!!

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
With a pup that young I would mix the puppy formula with the food, microwave it about 10 seconds, stir it up and then serve.

We got Camo as a rescue at 5 weeks and i fed him exactly that way. 3 weeks later he has grown over 2x the weight when we got him and is looking healthy.

At the 7 week mark I started just mixing the dry formula powder with his food , as he was able to eat un softened kibble by then.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
She is still very young. If this is a new food it will upset her stomach.
Also If it an inferior food her stomach isn't set up for the grains and starches in the food.

A good quality puppy food, hit with some water and allowed to "soften" is just fine.
If you have access to goats milk use that instead of water.

If the bowels don't change in a day or so get her to the vet!
Also.. get them shots in her!! it will help with bugs.. also the Food Grade DE will help!!
I did that also with Lola ( she was 6 weeks) only not fresh milk, I'll gave her in powder form (link) Holistic Puppymilk » Farm Food Natural Dogfood

http://www.farmfood.co.uk/dogfood/premium-quality/Farm-Food-no1/feeding-advice.html

Well i think you could buy that also in the USA
Good luck with you're puppy

·
Registered
870 Posts
Would that be upsetting her stomach causing her to have runny, pudding looking poops.

Should I give her warm water with her food?

As I said in other post, you need a vet appointment.

Hookworms is likely, since I doubt the mother was regularly given meds for this, that passed through the milk to the pups.
Pups get first treatment for worms/coccidia through the mother, when bred properly.

Hookworms in Dogs | petMD

A person I knew didn;t take my advice and got a pup from a BYB. Didn;t have money for the vet. Pup died. Same symptoms you described.

But only a vet can tell ya.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I deworm my pup again to make sure she doesn't have worms would it hurt her if someone already did.

The couple I got her from say the dewormed her but she has a pot bellied big / looks bloated.

But no worms in her stool.

Not even sure when they dewormed her if they did. Just want to make sure my pup is worm free before her pet visit.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
As long as it's been at least a week... usually the pups need to be dewormed several times prior to going to their new homes. Also, worming pups is ineffective if the mother wasn't also wormed. Or, you can schedule a vet appointment for a health checkup/well visit and allow the vet to do a stool sample (as is routine in a checkup like this) and they can correctly dose and worm the pup for you.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Did the person you got her from give you any kind of shot record to show deworming and boosters that were given, if any? If not, I'd say it's safe to say she didn't receive anything. Not all worms will come out in her excrement. It's best to get her in to a vet, especially since you just got her, so you can go ahead and get her on record with the vet, and get her a well check up and started on a vaccine/worming regimen.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts