Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this effects anyone on this forum, but here is a link to Diamond Dog foods site for a recall they are having......

Diamond Pet Foods : Information

·
Registered
45 Posts
My pup was eating their puppy food and after a few weeks she just got really bad diarrhea. Now she is on taste of the wild and is doing GREAT!

·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I understand it, Diamond, ToTW, and Blue buffalo are all the same parent company.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. I am feeding Diamond currently, waiting on my wife to get home to check our bag.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
We feed diamond but not the naturals.. we feed the high energy and ain't never had any problems ;)

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i stopped feeding the Kirkland Lamb/rice which is made by Diamond a while back.. switched it up to chicken

·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woot my bag is not involved in the recall!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
We fed kirkland for a bit didnt like the results we seen so switched back to orijen and now over to Acana { same company as orijen} . Heard of a couple recalls from diamond the last year or so now.

·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information, but I switched from that to Acana, the diamond recall is effecting to many brands for my comfort levels.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
adam for the recall the biggest issue is salmonella which dogs wont get its people who have become sick. So if people take the right steps 1) don't eat dog food 2) wash hands after handling the food 3) clean dog bowls regularly 4) keep kids away from the dog food so they don't eat or handle it. Everything should be fine, this was recalled due to people not dogs becoming sick.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
On average Diamond, whether its entire lines or just one batch of specific feed, recalls, has quality problems OR contaminated at least twice a year, typically you hear about half of it. In recent years, majority of Diamond recalls are listed as "voluntary" which occasionally it is but this is another method the company uses to make it sound "better" than what it is..

This particular recall you are hearing more about the people than animals however there have been 3 cases locally of dogs becoming ill, directly associated with Diamond Naturals (2) and TOTW (1)

Anyone who believes the "higher quality" lines of lower quality garbage is actually better, i.e TOTW, Wilderness, etc are just being suckered in by marketing..

·
Registered
225 Posts
As you say, KM, Seems like I hear of Diamond recalls every few months, I can't believe people buy their product, guess they don't pay attention...and TOTW seems to have a following that's close to religious. People have told me they feed TOTW with a personal pride..like it's an accomplishment, or it makes them smarter than we who don't.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As you say, KM, Seems like I hear of Diamond recalls every few months, I can't believe people buy their product, guess they don't pay attention...and TOTW seems to have a following that's close to religious. People have told me they feed TOTW with a personal pride..like it's an accomplishment, or it makes them smarter than we who don't.
Hahaha, I feel the same way about raw. Like if you don't feed your dogs raw then you aren't serious, don't love your animal or are just too plain stupid to make the "right" choice. Feeding raw is a personal choice, NOT a scientific fact. I have done enough research to decide its not for us at this time.

I am not in love with TOTW, I didn't realize it was part of Diamond. I am still looking for the right food for my dogs health & my budget.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Hahaha, I feel the same way about raw. Like if you don't feed your dogs raw then you aren't serious, don't love your animal or are just too plain stupid to make the "right" choice. Feeding raw is a personal choice, NOT a scientific fact. I have done enough research to decide its not for us at this time.

I am not in love with TOTW, I didn't realize it was part of Diamond. I am still looking for the right food for my dogs health & my budget.
You have to remember kibble is new to dogs, relatively speaking.. Only the past 105 or so years has kibble been on the market and have dogs been eating it.. Before then, it was raw.. A dogs digestive system is set up to eat a vast majority of things and be able to survive and break it down, that does not mean, however, they are thriving.. People think because their dog has no "real issue" with a feed it means they are feeding a proper diet.. The reality is far from it..

In order for a kibble based diet to give what a dog needs it must be high in meat content thus also equaling high protein which not every dog needs.. High protein diets should only be given to those that are extremely active or actually worked.. In other words, your typical pet or show dog should not be eating 36% + protein feed as you are setting them up to be over weight as most do not know how to feed a proper portion AND long term added stress to the kidney which is also not needed for a dog in the hands of a typical owner..

Ironically, those very kibble based feeds are the ones that deliver the best nutritional value.. Well, i say that however quality also goes into play which has many variables..

Orijen, Acana, Natures Variety Instinct are the three i recommend heavily as they are the easiest to get a hold of.. There are a few others out there available in the United States however not many..

I personally feed a combination of kibble and raw. Raw when the hounds earn it but otherwise kibble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts