Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, ive had my pup Brinx for a little over 6 monts now. When im at work my brother keeps him along with his 12 year old pit weve had since he was a pup. Ever since we brought Brinx home at 8 weeks they have been best friends...however now that Brinx has gotten much bigger and probably a little more annoying with his persistent playing a biting, they both got into it a little too rough a few weeks ago. Brinx is fine but he had multiple cuts and a few puncture woulds in result of the fight. I took him to the vet and they said he was fine and put him on antibiotics just in case.

Well, he did fine on them for about 4 or 5 days but ever since then hes had diarrhea for almost 2 weeks now. Consistently pooping 4-5 times a day and sometimes nothing but liquid. Ive tried pumpkin over the past few days with his food and no results and hes been off the antibiotics for that time as well. He went to the vet a few weeks before the fight because i noticed his stomach was distended almost as if he was pregnant lol. They put him on a combo of pills and a paste for 2 days and that helped his diarrhea and was back to normal until he got on these antibiotics. Not saying they were the cause but now that hes off of them I would imagine he would be back to normal...not so much.

Any suggestions?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
he could have eaten something he's having trouble passing.. it'll give dogs the runs.. its happened to diesel a few times

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
:goodpost:

If you haven't switched his food, it could be what is stated above.

I would let him fast for 24hrs and just keep him hydrated with plenty of water and some pedialyte from time to time. That would let him clear up the stomach.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
descended belly makes me think worms, when was he last wormed?
Sorry your pup and your brothers dog got in a fight hard way to learn that lesson, hopefully you have read up on a few things on here about DA and dont allow those 2 to play atleast unattended anymore { I wouldnt even allow to play again period}

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no worms, I had them test for it when I brought him in the first time

hes been on Orijen Puppy every since the day I got him, he does like to eat sticks and I try to watch him while were outside but he gets into everything lol. I was also thinking that but I would of figured he would of passed it by now?

i haven't tried letting them play yet but i figure even if watch them real close the next time and they are aggressive towards each other they might have to be seperated for good :(

I remember my vet telling me last time i went in to feed him boiled chicken and rice in substitue for his kibble to help with diarrhea...true? Im really not trying to take him again just for loose stools and pay another $200 vet bill!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya take him off the kibble and go to boiled chicken and rice see if he improves. If he did eat something there are some things that they cant pass it causes a blockage and usually they either cant poop or it will just be water like the only thing that can get past that blockage. If thats the case feeding him isnt a good idea as its just causeing more back up. The only solution for impaction would be a vet visit and depending where the block is usually involves surgery. { they would have to do an xray or ultrasound to check for this issue}.
I would start the boiled chicken today , remember it takes a few days - week to notice change sometimes.

I would think twice about allowing them to play together but its your call , things can happen very quick evenwhile watching them , 2 males your more then likely not going to be able to have them together anyways in the long run . I just dont see the point on taking the risk.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Ugh my dog ANY antibiotics or change he has the runs for weeks. When he was neutered it took me 3 months to get him solid again. Stresses me out worrying and must stink for him. Now when he has an infection or something I know will mess his belly up, I instantly go to the fix. For the first week I add a tablespoon of plain yogurt with a drop of Apple Cider Vinegar to his kibbles. Then at night I add a tablespoon of pureed pumpkin. after a week I stop the yogurt/ACV and just stay with the pumpkin.

The boiled rice/chicken or beef never really worked for my pup's belly, seemed OK, but the next day I slowly switched back to kibbles, it was back to yuck. As long as he is playing, eating and drinking you are OK, just a PITA to have to deal with. Try a few options and good luck!

3,968 Posts
ya take him off the kibble and go to boiled chicken and rice see if he improves.
onyx got into some orange peels once gave him nasty watery runs. put him on rice n white chicken meat, it did wonders. every time they have an upset sthomach i use that. does a great job with binding everythng up.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
My GSD had a crazy sensitive stomach when he was younger. I had to feed him boiled chicken and rice for a while. Eventually got him over to more convenient food after his stomach settled for a while.

Maybe its the high protein? I had Kane on ToTW(23% protein) until he was a good bit older and then I switched him over to Orijen Regional Red.

Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

Stool was hard for the first time this morning, I was just about to take him to the Vet because of it but it seems to be getting better. However I've noticed a small amount of what looks to be blood in the stool. Nothing major but can definitely see little red streaks/spots. Right after the fight my brother had noticed it as well but not every time?

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
if he has diarreah for that long his colon could be irritated and that can cause a bit of bleeding. If it continues for an extended period or if it gets to be more noticeable higher amount of blood then get it checked out. Im assuming since you noticed it is bright red? id be more concerned if it was that black tar color . As long as he is improving though Id just watch him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts