Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our ten month old pit seems to have an easily upset stomach. He's on his 4th bout of diarrhea in two months. One of the bouts was set off when he ATE his bed.

Been to the vet several times and prescribed antibiotic/antidiarrheal. Just about any small change in his diet seems to set him off. I started switching him over to a new dry food (Nature's Variety), hoping to try to get him off grains. But a few days ago he got "the runs" again.

This time the vet suggested skip the meds we try mixing a probiotic into his food for a month or so.

he's back to eating cooked rice and ground beef for now...but has had diarrhea for 4 days in a row.

Wondering if anybody has any suggestions for dealing with this??

·
Registered
901 Posts
Boil some rice and boiled chicken and add a little PURE pumpkin. You can get it in baking section at your local store. Make sure it says PURE pumpkin. Make sure he stays hydrated too.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Did he get the runs after you switched? Some dogs cannot handle grains and the sooner you can switch the better. If he just started the grain free food make sure any treats or anything else you give by mouth has no grain. If he cannot tolerate grains and you are feeding rice..... I would just switch as soon as possible to grain free and see if it helps. The probiotics is also what I would do.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
i understand how frustrated you must be. my 2yr old male had some of the worst digestive problems over the last year. he had bubble guts every 2 or 3 weeks. and i felt so bad for him.
several people (including performanceknls) suggested Taste of the Wild. i was also referred to metronidazole for clearing out bad bacteria. and finally i read about a supplement called OptaGest.
i did 4 days of brown rice / boiled chicken + metronidazole to reset his system.
then went to TOTW (lamb formula) + OptaGest.
that was 2 months ago and he hasn't had a problem since. his poop isn't the firmest but it's well formed and solid. every dog is different but maybe you can try something similar.
4 days is getting serious. hydration is critical. maybe put unflavored pedialyte in his water (50/50 mix).
good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
i understand how frustrated you must be. my 2yr old male had some of the worst digestive problems over the last year. he had bubble guts every 2 or 3 weeks. and i felt so bad for him.
several people (including performanceknls) suggested Taste of the Wild. i was also referred to metronidazole for clearing out bad bacteria. and finally i read about a supplement called OptaGest.
i did 4 days of brown rice / boiled chicken + metronidazole to reset his system.
then went to TOTW (lamb formula) + OptaGest.
that was 2 months ago and he hasn't had a problem since. his poop isn't the firmest but it's well formed and solid. every dog is different but maybe you can try something similar.
4 days is getting serious. hydration is critical. maybe put unflavored pedialyte in his water (50/50 mix).
good luck.
:goodpost:

OptaGest® for Dogs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I had my 7 1/2 month old puppy on TOTW and he had the runs all the time. I recently switched him over to Nature's Variety and so far his poop has been solid. We'll see how he does.
Not sure if it was the food that helped him or the fact that I cut the amount of food I feed him. With the TOTW I was feeding 2 cups twice a day and on NV he is getting 1 1/4 cups twice a day.

How much kibble were u feeding?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We've been feeding him about 4 cups per day. He's still growing, putting on about a pound a week, and it appears to be all muscle. He's pretty lean. He was 51lbs last week at the Vet. He was 40lbs when we took him home 10 weeks ago. He is going to be very big when he stops growing. Our vet thinks about 65lbs.

We're still giving him rice and ground meat twice a day. As his diarrhea clears up I'm going to switch over to 100% Nature's Variety (rabbit formula). He was doing well on that up until a week ago.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Some grain free food can be too rich for some dogs and you just have to fine the one that will work. I tired all kinds of grain free till I found tat TOTW worked for one of my dogs. If he was pretty good on the NV then stick to that, it's all about finding what wil work for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey im having the same problem with my 5 month puppy, i finally got his stool more firm but i just wanted to see what you guys consider "diarhea" and unhealthy. i know liquid stool is horrible, but what if its not liquid jus really moist but thick. (sorry for the visual) lol. Also What if it begins good (the stool) but ends with liquid? Just curious thanks

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
i agree. "cow pie" consistency might be normal for cows. but considered diarrhea in dogs. these dogs have a short digestive tract to begin with. they don't have alot of surface area in their intestines to absorb nutrients. so if the food is moving too fast your dog is missing out on valuable protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, etc.
body mass in only one indicator of proper health. of course it's important, but you will notice improvement in other areas. once i cleared up my dog's diarrhea, he shed a ton of hair and it grew back darker, thicker, and super glossy. and just recently i noticed when trimming his dew claws, they actually "cut" off instead of "cracking" or crumbling in the shears.
not to mention his energy is through the roof.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Just remember, we people like change and variety...a dogs belly don't. When dogs have runs they can dehydrate quick, so keep water near. Keep on same food when you find correct one. There is no magic feed out there. Dogs bodies either accept it or they dont.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts