Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im having a huge problem with my puppy digging. I cant get him to stop.... anyone have expierence with diggers? or know how to stop it.....? My backyard is starting to look like land mines are blowing up in it.! :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So im having a huge problem with my puppy digging. I cant get him to stop.... anyone have expierence with diggers? or know how to stop it.....? My backyard is starting to look like land mines are blowing up in it.! :(
This is what the outcome is after the digging.......:confused:

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Haha I love his facial expressions he knows he did something he shouldnt of lol, my dog Shorty likes to dig to... He has 2 holes in the backyard that he works on were theres some dirt.. Happy he doesnt do it to the grass lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha I love his facial expressions he knows he did something he shouldnt of lol, my dog Shorty likes to dig to... He has 2 holes in the backyard that he works on were theres some dirt.. Happy he doesnt do it to the grass lol.
Yeah i guess your right atleast its not the grass.... lol well ill just have to keep filling the dirt holes and let him have at it... better than destroying my house! :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i guess your right atleast its not the grass.... lol well ill just have to keep filling the dirt holes and let him have at it... better than destroying my house! :)
He could have just got out side and started or been out for a little while. It doesnt matter to him. lol he loves the gooshy mud better than anything. Ill hear him grawling and barking outside and i know hes in the mud. He sticks his head in the middle of the mud and goes at it. usually he comes out just paws and head dirty as you can see in the pics....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Before you can solve it you have to determine why he is digging. Dogs dig for many reasons most common are, to make a cool den hole to lay in(very common), hunting bugs/moles(a terrier trait),seperation anxity,escape, or just out of boredom (easiest to solve)
and they can all be solved in differnt ways

I think boredom is the most common for most pet APBTs. while APBT do make great pets the vast majority of owners dont realize the physical/mental requirements of the breed a simple game of fetch now and then or a walk around the block may be fine for some breeds but not APBTs which is why most pet bulls are boderline obese and bored to the point of destructive behavior

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before you can solve it you have to determine why he is digging. Dogs dig for many reasons most common are, to make a cool den hole to lay in(very common), hunting bugs/moles(a terrier trait),seperation anxity,escape, or just out of boredom (easiest to solve)
and they can all be solved in differnt ways

I think boredom is the most common for most pet APBTs. while APBT do make great pets the vast majority of owners dont realize the physical/mental requirements of the breed a simple game of fetch now and then or a walk around the block may be fine for some breeds but not APBTs which is why most pet bulls are boderline obese and bored to the point of destructive behavior
I think he digs for fun??? hes not outside long enough to do it because of heat..... i try and walk him but i almost drag him...lol half the time he stops and just flatens himself on the ground so he doesnt have to walk. lol and i run around and play fetch with him, and he is always outside with my other dog and they play tug and chase each other... I honestly just he likes the feeling of the gooshy mud? lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
... I honestly just he likes the feeling of the gooshy mud? lol
My daughter has the same issue with my granddaughter. lol

a friend of mine has 3 JRTs with many digging issues and his yard looked like a moonscape including an undergrond bunker complex under the shed that would rivial anything the taliban has. but he had an exterminator out for mole control and built a lure coursing track to help exercise his dogs now he actualy has grass (except on the track) and is considering starting to attend some terrier field trials in the future, but both his wife and his dogs are much happier now

He still has the bunker complex

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Mix a lot of cyan pepper into the dirt that you refill and let him dig that up a couple times and see if he wants to dig anymore.....

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
get a spring pole. digging is usually from boredom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts