Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 month old pit puppy that i got from a friend about a month and a half ago. She is an all around great dog, very friendly to all we meet and loves my kids as well as all other dogs. however sometimes when she is relaxing or sleeping I or my oldest son will get her attention to ether go out to go potty or to go to bed for the night and she will growl at us or even bit she has tried to bit me a few times when I'm disciplining her (I have never put forceful hands on her nor have i ever spanked her) and she bit my son the other night. (she didn't break the skin.) I just got a few emails from some rescues that deal with pits and only pits (i wanted someone that truly new the breed) and they told me that it would be best for the dog and for the breeds reputation to put her to sleep. It will be the hardest thing i have ever had to do in my life but if it has to be done it will be done. my kids absolutely adore this pup and don't want her to go to as they say rainbow bridge. I'm afraid that as she grows it might happen again and that time it could be worse.

And no it is not the normal puppy play bit. her teeth were showing towards me i couldn't see if her teeth were showing towards my son but i could tell it was not just puppy play.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Some might say that you should put her down, and I know that a full grown dog who shows HA should be put down. But I think with proper training she could be trained to stop. It sounds to me that she may be trying to assert some type of dominance. She's comfy, and doesn't wanna do what you're telling her to do, so she tries to win the fight. I would try using a treat to coax her to do what you're wanting, without having to get close to her, and slowly she will realize that listening to you and not growling gets her a reward. I'd work with her on it for a month or so, and see if she improves. If she doesn't she may need to be put down.

Now that's just me and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of different responses, but I just think at her age she can be 'fixed' of this issue.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Get her evaluated by a pit bull savvy behaviorist. No one can give advice over the internet IMO on something potentially serious like this. The dog and situations would need to be seen by someone who knows what to look for. Also, talk to your vet about possible health issues which can cause behavior problems. After that there won't be any second guessing on what is the right thing to do, whether it be training or having to put her down because of a faulty temperament. I hope it is a training issue and can be helped; sadly that isn't always the case. I'd also suggest contacting the rescue or breeder that the pup came from and explaining what's going on; they may be able to help with the eval.

Reactions: Nizmo

·
Registered
125 Posts
Please remember that anything said in the forums is strictly opinions, and seeking out a professional who can spend time with you puppy would be the #1 option....talking to your vet would be another.

It is my opinion that any Pit Bull (short of medical issues that cause the aggressive temperament ), can be trained. Due to the stubborn nature of the breed, it will require ALOT of patience, But is always worth it.

I have taken in rescues from fighters, hoarders, and just plain irresponsible owners, And have never had to put a Pit Bull down for a behavior issue. Of course the high sprung energetic ones had to be re-homed under special conditions (i.e. no children, no chains, etc), They all recovered from their traumatic experience.

Especially since this little guy is still a puppy, There is definitely the ability to train him properly.

Be sure to have you vet check him out in case it is something medical as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Get her evaluated by a pit bull savvy behaviorist. No one can give advice over the internet IMO on something potentially serious like this. The dog and situations would need to be seen by someone who knows what to look for. Also, talk to your vet about possible health issues which can cause behavior problems. After that there won't be any second guessing on what is the right thing to do, whether it be training or having to put her down because of a faulty temperament. I hope it is a training issue and can be helped; sadly that isn't always the case. I'd also suggest contacting the rescue or breeder that the pup came from and explaining what's going on; they may be able to help with the eval.
:goodpost: Best advice right here
What I have in bold is something to remember, its the truth.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I say that if it didn't break the skin then it isn't a bite.

I agree with patch get your pup to a behaviorist. I would say no I would work with the pup for a more than just a month or so before i pts but then that is me and i do not give up on anything with out a good fight. If you think it is too much for you to handle maybe you could find someone with pitbull knowlegde to foster the pup until a home could be found.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I agree with going to a behaviorist in this situation. It's hard for us to tell what happened and how she reacted, but a behaviorist can "see" it themselves and tell you what to do.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
:goodpost:
Evaluating would be the best thing right now. We had a bulldog like that. Mary Jane would do the same thing as a puppy but only when she was a sleep. If she was woken up fast or we tried to move her when she was sleeping she would bite at us. Ryan took her to be evaluated and she really had a great temperment we think it may have been that she was from such a big litter she was scared of being squished. Ryan spent a ton of time and effort training her and she turned out to be one of the best dogs I've had the pleasure of meeting. She even helped our friends kid learn how to walk, staying at he side and letting her hang on to her fur.

Only a professional will be able to really work with her and tell you what is going on. She may be able to be trained or she may not but that's the first step. Good luck with your pup. I hope it is the same issue we had and you can get her trained.

·
Registered
366 Posts
in my opinion i wouldnt put her down for the simple fact that you can fix this dilema. what you need to do is show it that you are dominant in your household. the alpha will lead the pack while the other follow. as soon as you aquire this title in the dogs head then you and your family will be able to do more with her. she will be more eager to please, as well as show more respect for you and your kids. you cannot have one of your children being bitten by one of these powerful, magnificent animals. and never the less you dont want to be bitten yourself. what i did to gain the title is played with Red, took him for walks, made him active in thigs other than destructive behavior. if he tears something up let him know that isnt alllowed in your household. spend time with him to show him that you are trustworthy and mean him no harm but dont be affraid to punish him. this is my 2 cents, good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
#1- Get a full vet check up to make sure there is no underlying health problem
If I was in your situ...and I have been a few times with several different breeds. The next time the pup shows aggression flip him/her and pin him/her until she submits completely. It may take awhile with a dominant pup and she/he may fight and scream and act like you are hurting them but as long as you only apply the force you need and not are not rough you wont be. Keep doing that EVERY time your pup acts dominantly. Do not let this pup on furniture beds ect. Do not let this pup walk out the door before you or go down the stairs or anything else in front of you. Make sure you properly walk the pup at least once a day. (properly means no leash pulling ect the pup MUST walk beside or behind you) Do not allow this pup to put its feet on anyone ex. jumping up. PLEASE STOP using treats to train your dog it really is the worst possible way to train. This pup sounds to me like she/he is having dominant behaviour issues which can be corrected easily 99% of the time by consistent training and excercise. IMO you should never put down a puppy especially this young for behaviour issues as with some proffessional help and or consistent training this can easily be corrected.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
In my opinion, she is warning & challenging you right now. She is still a pup & trying to move up in the pack rank. It's important not to show fear, not to move away, and not to give her what she wants when she shows this behavior.

I agree with everyone who said to have her evaluated by a breed professional. This is the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
16 weeks (4 months) is the age in which a dog will try to assert itself. You just need to set the puppy straight. I cant imagine a vet would euthanize a puppy.

And any rescue thats going to suggest you put a 4 month old puppy to sleep after a few emails shouldnt be in business.

My pit/mastiff mix did the same thing at the same age (only growled), and he quickly learned that was unacceptable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't put her to sleep, I'm sure she is trying to find the limits... She still a puppy. With the right training it will be better. Patience :)
Good Luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
im not as experienced as most ppl here when it comes to this i am theres no need to put her to sleep man up and beat her a** i got one of my pits when he was 7months he tried to bite my face one nite when he got p---- in short i beat his a** showed him who top dog was now hes my best friend wouldnt harm me loves me to death its just a respect thing dat my opinion

·
Registered
771 Posts
see a behaviorlist also please search the leadership program thread on here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
16 weeks (4 months) is the age in which a dog will try to assert itself. You just need to set the puppy straight. I cant imagine a vet would euthanize a puppy.

And any rescue thats going to suggest you put a 4 month old puppy to sleep after a few emails shouldnt be in business.

My pit/mastiff mix did the same thing at the same age (only growled), and he quickly learned that was unacceptable.
how did you stop you rdog from doing it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts