Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not trying to offend anyone here but I see posts at times about people who's dog is sick and they can't afford to take it to a vet and so I was wondering....do people really weigh the costs to own a dog or any other pet for that matter before getting one? If you can't afford what the food, vet bills, vaccinations, boarding, etc are going to cost then you are better off not getting a dog in my opinion.
Now please don't get me wrong, I know people run into hard times and so forth and that is understandable, but it is the dog that suffers in the end if care cannot be afforded and the dog has to be euthanized or given up to the shelter in some cases.

Thoughts?

Reactions: DOMN8R

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
when i got my dog i was an electrician apprentice. i was able to take him into the vet for anything he needed, shots dewormed, any thing else that came up. i was able to buy him supplements and spend 120$ on food every month.
s*** happens, i lost my job. but even if i had a job, the people that i got him from wouldnt be able to find him a better home than he has now. i have no doubt in my mind about that.
do i feel bad that i cant provide for him at the moment? yes, very much so. but through thick and thin, he is my dog, my best friend, my companion. and i know he wouldnt rather be with any one else. no one could know or love Nismo more than me, i know this for a fact.

but to answer your question, yeah i do think people get dogs with out ralizing that they do cost a lot of money. craigslist, pet finder, and the HS can vouch for that. just like how a lot of people dont research the breed they get before hand.

sometimes things dont go as planned, and in this economy, nothing really goes as planned. so now i realize and feel for some of the family's that are going through what im going through. so when i get a job, im going to really try and help anyone that deserves it any way i can.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i got my dog i was an electrician apprentice. i was able to take him into the vet for anything he needed, shots dewormed, any thing else that came up. i was able to buy him supplements and spend 120$ on food every month.
s*** happens, i lost my job. but even if i had a job, the people that i got him from wouldnt be able to find him a better home than he has now. i have no doubt in my mind about that.
do i feel bad that i cant provide for him at the moment? yes, very much so. but through thick and thin, he is my dog, my best friend, my companion. and i know he wouldnt rather be with any one else. no one could know or love Nismo more than me, i know this for a fact.

but to answer your question, yeah i do think people get dogs with out ralizing that they do cost a lot of money. craigslist, pet finder, and the HS can vouch for that. just like how a lot of people dont research the breed they get before hand.

sometimes things dont go as planned, and in this economy, nothing really goes as planned. so now i realize and feel for some of the family's that are going through what im going through. so when i get a job, im going to really try and help anyone that deserves it any way i can.
:goodpost: Well said. I am praying for you all. :)

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Bad things happen to good people all the time. You never know what life's going to throw at you. The commitment between a dog and his owner may be the best thing the dog will ever have.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bad things happen to good people all the time. You never know what life's going to throw at you. The commitment between a dog and his owner may be the best thing the dog will ever have.
As I stated in the original post, that is something that is beyond control and was not what I was referring to. It is the ones who rush out and get a dog at the shelter because it is cute, and they are and I understand the need to want to save one as I did, but if you cannot afford the costs down the road maybe it's not as good of an idea as originally thought? Let's face it, dogs can be VERY expensive and since we got Tasha 2 years ago we have probably spent $2,000 in vet bills alone and she didn't even have any "major" problems. It's almost like having a child you know, except the dog doesn't talk back! :rofl:

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I also had a steady job when I got Helena, but that was over 2 years ago. And it's been a rocky road (health wise for the both of us) and I'm unable to work. Actually I've never had a dog that has had the problems Helena had before I got her. Almost all of my dogs growing up died from old age and the one that didn't my parents had put to sleep. And go figure the one put to sleep was the only pure bred registered dog, he was a Dalmatian. All the rest were pound puppies.

Helena's got a good daddy who does the best to take care of the both of us.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Right now I have 8 or 9 dogs at my house[cant keep track anymore haha] I spend over 750 a month for food, flea and heartworm med and a few other meds that my orphans need. if I have a dog get sick or hurt it can cost 500.00 extra for that month. I understand the problems that owners come across and in these tough times its understandable. if its a choice between feeding your kids or keeping your dog alive , theres not a lot of options. my sheltyer is taking in way too many dogs from the public lately but there is no other choice. so if a member here is in need then Im gonna try to help raise money. its worth a shot to me to try and keep pitbulls out of the shelter and in their homes where they belong

·
Registered
224 Posts
Indi was not a very planned adoption at all. We wanted to get another dog before Kallie was too old to be able to play with her and Kallie needed a friend since she was use to being around other animals from puppyhood. I came across Indi on petfinder and showed her to my bf. We took her home the night we met her and the foster. I am one of those better safe than sorry people when it comes to health problems so the dogs have been to the vet several times for small infections, UTIs....blah blah..and so far nothing has been too expensive. They are eating good, playing with tons of toys, and up on all of their meds :) Pets are a responsibility and while you can never know what is going to happen you should never try to handle more than you know you can. Try your best, if dogs could talk that is probably all they would say.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
When my husband and I got Loki we were both working full time jobs making good money. I was laid off before Loki turned 1, but found another job right away. My husband lost his overtime late last year and we have been trying to make do on what he is making but it's not always easy, especially when life slaps you in the face.

If it's not unexpected vet bills it's that the car needs new tires, or the plumbing has sprung a leak or some other unforseen event. In these economic times you just don't know what life has in store or just how you are going to pay for it. Right now, I am grateful to be able to provide food for my furry kids. Two years ago when we bought our home and then got Loki we didn't expect the economy to tank and we surely didn't expect to be in constant fear of losing our jobs or we certainly wouldn't have taken on another mouth to feed.

If I've learned anything in my 28 years on this earth it's that you can plan all you want but ultimately you do not know what life has in store for you and no matter how hard you try you simply cannot plan for every instance you might be faced with.

Reactions: buzhunter

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Not trying to offend anyone here but I see posts at times about people who's dog is sick and they can't afford to take it to a vet and so I was wondering....do people really weigh the costs to own a dog or any other pet for that matter before getting one? If you can't afford what the food, vet bills, vaccinations, boarding, etc are going to cost then you are better off not getting a dog in my opinion.
Now please don't get me wrong, I know people run into hard times and so forth and that is understandable, but it is the dog that suffers in the end if care cannot be afforded and the dog has to be euthanized or given up to the shelter in some cases.

Thoughts?
Does that work wives too? Because after my first son was born my wife fractured her feet 2 metatarsals on both feet. If I knew then what I know now about her feet then I wouldn't have married her. Just kidding but that is the same way about a dog or a cat too. You just have to know that you will have to do something when the time comes. My 2 cents

·
Registered
146 Posts
nope never thought about it..i got my first dog when i was 19 and thats my akita zoe ..i still have her ...i have always had a decent jobso taking care of her was not bad..i did have pet insurance and a cool vet so i got hooked up...now i have two more dogs and they are well taking care of...im just lucky to have a good job...plus im the type of person that if i feel like getting a new dog i get it .

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Didn't think about it before I got Neela... now, after neela...it takes a darn good dog for me to even think about taking another one on. Neelas vet bills have definitely shed a new light on the financial end of dog ownership.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Thoughts?
:goodpost:
Very true. Most people generally think that all a dog needs is fed,watered and walked and dont think about the road ahead. Raising a dog is much like raising a child. They require 'round the clock care just like children do and it aint cheap at all, especially if you have more than one.
Yes, hard times fall on every one from time to time, but that should also be something considered before taking on the resposibilty of an animal. We have a savings account that we opened specificly for the dogs and we put $350 in there every two weeks for vet appointments and emergencies. This way there is always a back up plan for any unexpected emergencies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts