Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 60 lb male APBT is about 20 months old and full grown.

I have NEVER seen him jump. If I hold a treat up above him he will stretch up and stand on his back legs and try to reach it but won't jump.

My concern is that I just bought a house with a fenced backyard, the fenced portion is about 0.75 acre. The fence is a 4' tall chain-link with a 4' vertical wooden slat fence in the front yard. It is fully contained and I have been letting him run in the backyard unsupervised for no more than 30 minutes at a time. Mostly he just explores the perimeter, or lays on the deck in the sun. He will look through the fence but I've never seen him jump up on it with his paws. I really don't think he will try to jump it but I'm sure it is physically possible if he saw something outside the fence he REALLY wanted.

My dog is not DA and just stares if he sees another dog through the fence. I'm not worried about him getting out and chasing after something but if he were to somehow get out and run in the road and get hit by a car (people drive about 45 mph past my house as I live in the country).

I don't have the budget to rebuild the fence taller right now as I'm fixing up the house. What would you do? I don't want to chain him in such a nice yard. I'm considering putting a couple strandes of high tension galvanized wire above the fence about 6" apart to make it a 5' fence.

Open to all input here. Do some APBT's just never learn to jump things?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
The rule of thumb with this breed is you should always expect them to show DA at some point. Some of them are late starters and turn on at a later stage in life. Others are just flat out DA out the womb. You really have to look at your dog not for what he has shown you but for what the breed is known for and genetically Dog Aggression is part of this breed's make up. Even if your dog never displays it you must always assume he will at some point this is why people end up in trouble with this breed they don't think ahead they only look at what the dog has shown them when the truth is that could change tomorrow. I wouldn't allow the dog to roam free in the fenced back yard unsupervised if the fence is not tall enough to where if he wanted to jump over it he could.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
My Mikado never jumped a day in his 6yrs of life. He never jumped into the car he would pt one foot up and then the other and then pull his back legs up. The same way he got on the bed and the recliners. Have you had him to the vets to see if he has any issues that would prevent him from jumping? Are you planning on leaving him out there during the day while you are gone or is he just outside while you are home? I would never ever leave any of my dogs outside alone whilst I was gone.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
My girl is only 7 months and can jump from standing onto a 5 foot wall like its nothing. This girl has some serious spring action in her legs. I put up baby gates in my house to keep her out of certain rooms and we have a 4 foot fence around my yard. I wouldn't doubt that she couldn't jump them cause I know she could. She never goes out in my yard unsupervised. Just because they never attempt to doesn't mean they can't :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Jumping is something that needs to be taught for some dogs, all dogs can jump some just prefer not to. (unless they have a structural problem) I have a 4' foot fence in my front yard and I let my dogs out there to go potty but only some of my dogs. The rest of them are in the back with kennels that are 6 feet tall. I only trust my really old dogs in the front (all my dogs know how to jump) but if I hear anything that sounds like they got excited I bring them in. Your dog is probably ok they way you have it know just keep checking on him there is no way to know if he will jump for sure unless he does it. So there is always a risk but your dog sounds like my old girls just hanging out and no ambition to jump, that could always change.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you had him to the vets to see if he has any issues that would prevent him from jumping? Are you planning on leaving him out there during the day while you are gone or is he just outside while you are home? I would never ever leave any of my dogs outside alone whilst I was gone.
He had a physical at 1 year and he has no physical issues that would prevent him from jumping, he is very limber. I never leave him outside while I'm gone from the house, only while I'm in the house and when he knows I'm in the house he seems to be really relaxed in the backyard, usually he just lays out or plays with his tug rope.

Just scratchin the surface... they can do a lil more than jump ;)
YouTube - PIT BULL SHOW Hluboka 2007 (High Jump - Gryf 215 cm)
Wow!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That is good that he is in good health. Mikado was the only dog I ever had that never jumped a day in his life. Vendetta on the other hand can easily jump 6ft. I have seen her jump higher. Something I wish she would not do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
chino was the same way, he would never jump to save his life. I started training him on the spring pole and he jumps like a freaking jack rabbit now. He cleared my 4 foot fence the other day with no problem. My pups spend a lot of time outside now that its warmer outside, so im going to look into a hot wire to keep them off the fence. I know it sounds harsh but its better than risking him jumping the fence and getting hit by a car, or chasing some kid down the street

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
My dog never jumped my 4 ft fence until my neighbor decided to reach over it and try and give him a cookie. It was like a light bulb went off and he then started trying to jump the fence. Thank you neighbor!!

Anyway my point is, you might want to prevent things from getting into your yard more than your dog getting out of it.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
sometimes i wish mine couldnt jump....lol.... Tyson will clear a 6' fence like its nothing!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I think I'm going to put up some tension wire above the fence to discourage any jumping and maybe keep other dogs out as well. Axel got out of the gate yesterday as I was bringing my motorcycle through and immediately he ran off exploring into the neighbor's yard! Curiosity of what is over there may one day give him the incentive to try to get out, can't let that happen.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
well I think I'm going to put up some tension wire above the fence to discourage any jumping and maybe keep other dogs out as well. Axel got out of the gate yesterday as I was bringing my motorcycle through and immediately he ran off exploring into the neighbor's yard! Curiosity of what is over there may one day give him the incentive to try to get out, can't let that happen.
That is the key word.... Incentive! if it looks good enough and the fence is not high enough they could get out.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My Gizmo would jump 6 feet high fences but ONLY when we asked her too lol My current dog now Ashes seemed like she didn't jump...we were very wrong. She also clears them now lol they look like cats doing it ha ha

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Over 1 year later and my dog has still never jumped the 4' fence! He will however jump 5' vertical to grab his rope tow if I tease him with it, so I avoid doing that!

·
Registered
225 Posts
So, I guess if there's something sufficiently interesting on the other side...he's able to go over the fence to get to it. Hope that doesn't happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My boxer was the same...he could jump like a pogo stick after a soccer ball, but would never jump into the truck. Heck, he wouldn't even jump into the lowered car!! He would put his front paws on the seat and wait for someone to lift his back end in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts