Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone takes their dogs while they are puppies to the dog park? My adult German shepherd does ok at the park, but my adult bulldogs I won't take a chance with.

I'm not a huge fan of dog parks but my brother got a 10 week old puppy and really wants to socialize it with both people and dogs once all shots and deworming etc are done.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes. Started taking Conner as soon as I could.
He loves everyone and everyone loves him.
If another dog overwhelms him, he goes submissive or backs away.
But, of course, never take your eyes off him.
I will say this and take what crap may come.
EVERY dog fight at the parks I visit is started by a Husky. We steer clear of them every time.

·
Administrator
4,835 Posts
A Day At The Park

He is just like other dogs I would always say; He loves to go to the dog park to play every day

Everyone loves him there, so it's ok; My dog won't fight--he wasn't raised that way

But then one day, right before dark, A troubled young man came into the park

He had by his side the biggest dog I'd ever seen, And unfortunately for us, both were quite mean

We asked very nicely if they would just go; The dog answered with a snarl and the man with a harsh "NO!"

Well his dog was a terror, threatening to all; Then he started a fight with a Lab over a ball

They fought pretty hard and the man would not intervene; Then here comes my dog and pushes right in between

He grabbed that big dog and thrashed him around; And with one quick jerk threw him down on the ground

The Lab was able to escape; I heard everyone cheer; But my dog was now in a frenzy and would not let me near

When he finally let go, what I saw stopped my heart; That big mean dog had been torn apart

The authorities were called, the big dog was now dead; But they didn't take the big dog; they took my dog instead

We all tried to explain that my dog saved the day; But because of his breed he was taken away

You see my dog was a Pitbull and they don't get any breaks; One small incident is all that it takes

A dog had died; And though he hadn't started the fight, My dog was held responsible for what happened that night

He was deemed a danger to all and sentenced to death; And I hold him now as he takes his last breath

It's my fault that my dog is being killed today; Please listen for a moment to what I am going to say

Everyone warned me about his potential to fight; I said it won't happen, I am raising him right

And now my dog is paying the ultimate price; Because I was stubborn and wouldn't take the advice

He only did what he was bred to do; Learn from our story; don't let it happen to you.

·
Administrator
4,835 Posts
I don't recommend dog parks at all for the reason above. I run Shorty Bulls who are drivey, but not genetically predisposed to dog aggression. I only go to dog parks with a group of friends and familiar dogs. My boys don't look like pit dogs or bullies so won't be judged and executed by the masses. But your dogs. Almost everyone on here's dogs, should NOT be going to dog parks. Schedule play dates with familiar dogs and friends. Stay away from leash free areas with your bulls.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
a recipe for disaster. supervised playdates only.
no matter the breed you have.
and also... dog parks are cess pools. fleas are the least of your worries. by brother's dog got canine herpes from his dog park in FL.

Reactions: EckoMac and jttar
1 - 5 of 5 Posts