Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some baking and made plain doughnuts. I tossed one to her when they were done. It's few and far between she gets table goodies. She doesn't beg at the table she knows to go to a different room on her pillow when we sit at the table to eat. I was curious how many other people give their dog treats?

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
I don't feed my dog table scraps, normally. The only scraps she gets are raw veggies, or raw meat when I'm prepping a meal. Other than that I don't like filling her up with crap. :p

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
My dogs get on occassion a raw beef bone from the butcher shop, raw bits of meat or some homemade doggy cookies. I never feed crap to my dogs (table scrapes of any kind)
when they get treats it is raw or dog cookies and put in their own dishes.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Okay. I'm going to admit that I give Kane table scraps every now and again. Maybe a french fry or two. A potato chip. But not more than once, maybemaybe twice a week.

I usually stay away from giving him raw meat because otherwise it comes out of his butt as napalm, lol.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
All my dogs get scraps. Snoop sits next to my daughter waiting for anything that falls off her highchair or anything she hands him lol.

Steak or left over meat they get, stews and soups not overly seasoned. They enjoy a wide selection of things and never beg or whine for it.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Raw fruits or veggies when I am cutting them up. We don't feed our dogs people food other than that. Loki has a very sensative digestive tract. If a cheeto falls on the floor and he gets it before we can pick it up and throw it away it's guaranteed that his tummy will be making some odd noises the next day. Poor guy.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
With all the stuff they put in food now a days,I'm not sure how safe it is for us to eat,let alone our dogs.
I kinda over fed my old lab/rot mix,and she had weight issues for a long time(till I moved from home lol) I believe it shortened her life,so I vowed never to do that agian. So if I do give Bruno or Beia something,it's usually cookies that I bake for them. I have a dog treat recipe book.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
lol sounds like im by myself here , me dogs get all sortsa stuff lol luna is my biggest fan she usually gets scrap peices of steak or fat after dinner. they do get the occassional french fry or if loki is going through drive thru with us tehy usually throw him in a free burger. the biggest thing is a bit of yogurt on there food as a treat or peices of cheese or deli meat. we dont usually feed anything raw and Cali doesnt usually ever get any scraps she has a sensitive tummy although lately discovered she really likes apples and hasnt had a bad reaction with those so they may become her "special " treat. My house is like american pit's the dogs like to sit near the kids when they have snacks and mooch off them , they do get crated at dinner otherwise the kids prob wouldnt ever eat there vegis lol

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I get real mad at mum, she feeds her dog EVERYTHING, and started it will Grace, i soon stopped that!
I will only give them bones as treats or my eaten fruit that i cant be bothered taking to the bin. my pet hate is begging dogs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't feed my dog table scraps, normally. The only scraps she gets are raw veggies, or raw meat when I'm prepping a meal. Other than that I don't like filling her up with crap. :p
i will agree with this statement... when i give red treats i will look at what is in the ingredients before i give then to him... he likes peanut butter, raw meat (chicken is a favorite) raw veggies (for some reason he likes gapes, so when i give them to him i will take the skin off... the cellulose is hard to digest no matter if it is you dog or a human. not only that but fat is also had for them to digest it will keep them full, and will make them gain weight. it is one of my pet-peeves when someone else feeds my dog anything that i dont approve of and its had to break them of the habit of begging. there are so many thing you can treat you dog with that is actually good for them in diffeent ways... Red also likes fish, which most dogs do. if you have any salmon or something that you wouldnt normally eat give that to him as a treat... as long as you dont cook it and it isnt expired you dog will love it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would have to disagree with the raw salmon as a treat I believe someone on here gave me an article to read thinking it was pitbullmama where it talks about salmon poisoning in dogs I think it stated it needs to be cooked or frozen for a week or something to kill the parasite or bacteria that causes illness in dogs. { my boyfriend fishes and was giving the dogs raw salmon when he was cleaning them up and after I got the info on this we have stopped doing this} ill have to search for the link it was on here , I will do that when I have a bit more time and post it here for you fortyfoot. unless you find it by then :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would have to disagree with the raw salmon as a treat I believe someone on here gave me an article to read thinking it was pitbullmama where it talks about salmon poisoning in dogs I think it stated it needs to be cooked or frozen for a week or something to kill the parasite or bacteria that causes illness in dogs. { my boyfriend fishes and was giving the dogs raw salmon when he was cleaning them up and after I got the info on this we have stopped doing this} ill have to search for the link it was on here , I will do that when I have a bit more time and post it here for you fortyfoot. unless you find it by then :)
thanks for this... you are the first to inform me on this. i can see what you are saying bkuz there are some elements in the water that arent good for anyone such as mercury. but if you use it as a treat every now and again you will not see any drastic harm. I usually add fish oil or salmon oil to my dogs food for the extra nutrition they need for their brain, their coats, joints and their muscles. it will also help with some pains as well especially arthritis.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pinkie gets raw meat scraps when I am butchering after shopping, but only if she stays out of the kitchen the entire time with only the original "out" command. I do however have a 2 year old who is one messy ass eater, and Pinkie gets to "vacuum" after my daughters high chair has been moved back to its storage corner. I do pick up the really crappy stuff, but she gets the meats, rice, veggies, and pasta. She loves cauliflower!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Just because you feed your dogs table scraps doesn't mean they'll beg. :D Kane has never begged; he's got it in his head that whenever I'm eating something, in order to get some of it, he has to go to "his spot" and lay down and not look at me. Then I call him over and he has to sit politely to get anything. I make him work for what he gets. :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Just because you feed your dogs table scraps doesn't mean they'll beg. :D )
Very true. None of my dogs beg. Giving table scraps is also not feeding crap depending on how you eat. We eat all meats and veggies, potatoes, ect so there is not much we eat that is not ok for the dogs. Mine also are not effected by weight issues lol..

It depends what scraps and how much you give.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I feed mine raw meat treats and raw fruits and veggies, apples and carrots being their favorites. Not often mind you & never in the kitchen. They are not allowed to be in there & they know it, though sometimes they try and sneak in there.
They never beg either, only time they ever get hand fed treats is when we`re doing training. They never get people food by hand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts