·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is our black and tan APBT named CUJO @ 9 weeks old today.:woof:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I dont, but he is such a cute little guy! Is that a collar, or a chain used as a collar? I only ask because I've never seen a collar like that.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliment. It is a really lightweight chain "collar" that we got at the local hardware store ... we only used it to take this picture to give Cujo that big boy look at 9 weeks. Actually, Cujo has a regular black nylon collar that reads "bad to the bone" that we use as his everyday collar ... lol. And we use a rope collar/leash too... he seems to like it better than the nylon collar or the choke chain that we got him.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow, what a beatiful doggie, my patch is into sticks also, cujo holding it reminded me of my boy, I dont see to many black and tans were I'm from.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thnx... we always get the typical remark... "he must be mixed - is he part rottweiller"... kinda irks me and makes me laugh at the same time. Cujo was the only one in his litter of 10 with this color pattern. We chose him, or better yet he chose us, as he was the only one to stop feeding from his mom, stepped out from the dog house and came up to the fence where we were admiring the litter from... love at first sight. His brothers and sisters in the litter ranged in colors from all tan, white with tan, white with black, blue/gray with white, all blue/gray... but Cujo was the alpha pup and the only one that was black and tan. His dad was blue/gray with white patches and his mom was all tan. The choice was a no braniner... :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. It is a really lightweight chain "collar" that we got at the local hardware store ... we only used it to take this picture to give Cujo that big boy look at 9 weeks. Actually, Cujo has a regular black nylon collar that reads "bad to the bone" that we use as his everyday collar ... lol. And we use a rope collar/leash too... he seems to like it better than the nylon collar or the choke chain that we got him.
I did notice in the other pictures he has a few different collars :) Was just curious, it does give him a very big boy look! So you accomplished that! I really like his markings! Love how his ears look trimmed in tan :)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments, folks. For now, I personally like the rope collar/leash as it is easy to use and soft on the hands. IMO, the chain or spiked leather collars are nice to look at, although I do not think they are any stronger or better functionally. We will probably keep an adjustable nylon collar on him all the time as he grows, so he has a place to display his rabies tag, microchip tag and license tag. As he gets older though, we are looking to get a secondary leather harness similar to the Riley or Stillwater brands and/or a thicker and wider plain leather walking collar to go along with his nylon collar.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bumped up... so anybody out there with a black and tan APBT? Any pics? I know this color combination for an APBT is not the most popular, but it is one of the rarest as far as we can see. But we love our CUJO... And just to give everyone their props, every pit/staffie/bully pic we have seen on this site is cuter than the last... gotta love 'em! Thanks for looking...

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Here is a link to another thread here with several B&T and Tri's. While the color combination isn't as common as Red, Buckskin or Blue it really isn't rare. It does seem to be the up and coming next big thing with the Bully type breeders, but has actually been around since the beginning of the breed. :)

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/22991-question-trio-color.html

That is a very handsome pup BTW! :)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks again, folks! It is awesome to meet so many helpful, loving and informative fellow Pit-owners. And special thnx to GAPITS for the link. Since we have rescued Cujo in January, we have tried to read as much as possible to learn the history of the breed and all the different color variations of the APBT. It is amazing to see all the color combinations and patterns around... and although we see the occasional tri-colors around, we do not see the black and tan combination too much in NY and CT. We often get the "nice mix, must be half-rottweiler" comment... little do they know this color pattern goes all the way back to the Colby lines. Appreciate all the info... :clap:

·
Registered
244 Posts
thnx... we always get the typical remark... "he must be mixed - is he part rottweiller"... kinda irks me and makes me laugh at the same time. Cujo was the only one in his litter of 10 with this color pattern. We chose him, or better yet he chose us, as he was the only one to stop feeding from his mom, stepped out from the dog house and came up to the fence where we were admiring the litter from... love at first sight. His brothers and sisters in the litter ranged in colors from all tan, white with tan, white with black, blue/gray with white, all blue/gray... but Cujo was the alpha pup and the only one that was black and tan. His dad was blue/gray with white patches and his mom was all tan. The choice was a no braniner... :)
Yeah patch's Dad was a blue/gray, and mom was a brindle, funny how they pop out different colors..........ok your in the NY, CT area too, yeah your right I really haven't seen many in this area, maybe not rare to the country but rare in our neck of the woods :)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
great to meet a fellow member from the tri-state area! I can't wait until the nicer weather comes around to start taking Cujo out hiking and swimming around CT... :)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
definitely will do STAFFYDADDY... at 9 weeks old, CUJO is a handful, but in a good way. Great with my kids, other people and dogs. He loves his walks in the park and all the attention he gets the local PetSmart/Petco stores. Can't wait to take him hiking and swimming in the summer as he is already showing his athletic prowess!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts