Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering for those with conditioned APBT's, when you take them on walks, do you ever get rude stares or comments about how your dog is too skinny? Do they suspect you of starving or abusing your dog? Just wondering because I know how people can be when they think stuff is their business.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I actuallybhad some one call the police on me saying that I am putting my dogs through a keep and I must be fighting them.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I have totally gotten that quite a bit with Dosia and he's not really conditioned. He mostly stays in shape running around the yard like an idiot lmao :) I have been doing drag work since I want to pull with him but I don't think he looks as good as the conditioned dogs around here.
People can be so irritating, they always say you starve them, or they're being abused. You can totally tell the difference between a conditioned dog and an imaciated one.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Just wondering for those with conditioned APBT's, when you take them on walks, do you ever get rude stares or comments about how your dog is too skinny? Do they suspect you of starving or abusing your dog? Just wondering because I know how people can be when they think stuff is their business.
Bella is only 8 months and I don't condition her other than hand walking but I have gotten comments on how muscular she is. She is pretty ripped I think for a puppy LOL! Can't wait until she is older so I can really work her.

However, not an APBT but I walk my best friends Great Dane pup alot and he is only 9 months and 95 lbs already. He is skinny, but this breed grows way up the first year and fills in the second. I get comments on how skinny he is and that he needs more food. I have seen a few people give stares and dirty looks. Some people I explain and others I pay no mind to. Some people just don't know anything about dogs and always think the worst. This boy eats 7 cups of food a day and gets treats so he is far from starved and he is growing up nicely :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I get it all time! I actually got into an argument at my AKC club and someone had complained at the condition of my dogs and they were starving. Oddly enough that weekend I had just gone to an ADBA show and my dogs did very well. It never went anywhere because people know I show my dogs to breed standard and I take very good care of them.

I went to an agility show in Colorado and I knew most everyone there. This one lady I did not know said awww good for you for rescuing her, did you just get her from the shelter? LMAO I was like umm no she one of my agility dogs and I raised her from a pup. She just gave me a look that could kill! lol fun times!

Oh and I love when people ask me is Siren is a rescue because her crop is so short, they give me the look when I tell them no she is my show dog and I cropped her ears. ;)

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
i get if from everyone including family, but most just let it go and whisper so skinny behind there hands, it dumb lol i had to tell my neighbor today to stop feeding my dogs there makiing them sick i am doing just fine with feeding them myself and my guys arn't all that crazy conditioned just excersised appropriatly and fed right!

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great replies! Keep them coming. Rudy that is scarey! What did the cops say?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i get if from everyone including family, but most just let it go and whisper so skinny behind there hands, it dumb lol i had to tell my neighbor today to stop feeding my dogs there makiing them sick i am doing just fine with feeding them myself and my guys arn't all that crazy conditioned just excersised appropriatly and fed right!
They were feeding them! LMAO! I can see from your pics that they aren't that skinny.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Yea it's annoying...people think my dog is too skinny...yet I tell them her weight has been maintained at 44lbs for a long time, she has proper muscle coverage, etc etc. Thing is I've taken her to 2 vets and one of them gave her an ideal weight rating, and the other just commented on how good she looked. I also get the "is she still a pup" question a lot...because she's only 44lbs...haha

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Yes I get it. Just last weekend we at a large parade with Crixus and Xena and we walk by these older people and I hear on lady go "on my those dogs are to thin" I turn around and snap " no they are healthy and in proper condition" Her face dropped as I don't think she was expecting a response. My neighbor who I fight with also claims I need to feed my "starving dogs."

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
They were feeding them! LMAO! I can see from your pics that they aren't that skinny.
i know right! i swear if i get one more how skinny the cheza is or killa imma snap, they better quit i told them today to stop there making them very sick wear going to put up a 6 foot privacy fence and if that doesn't work i swear imma call immagration on them!!! :mad:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
It's the same with dogs as it is with babies now a days.People think a baby/dog should be overweight to be healthy for some insane reason.

·
Registered
420 Posts
ive had all of the above happen to me... people here in the city are used to seeing house dogs... they arent used to seeing a conditioned dog... "wow why is he so muscular? are you giving him steroids? if you are you need to stop cause you can see his ribs... he's too skinny for roids... OMFG i give them the stare of death and simply tell them they have no idea what a conditioned show dog is so don't make assumptions.. I dont tell you your dog is fat... I mind mines so you mind yours... if that don't work I basically tell them to go F*** themselves.... :) Its a NY thing...lol... CROOKLYN BBAAAABBBBYYYYYYYY...... LOL

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I do not condition my dogs, but they are in very good shape on their own from genetics, proper nutrition and normal playtime and walks.

I have had a couple of people comment on them looking thin, but most people also have FAT to the point of obese dogs which they for some reason perceive as "normal" and healthy. This I find very sad. Thus, it is no wonder that they would think a dog in good shape is too thin.

On another note, I've honestly seen some dogs that people say are conditioned at shows and other places who totally lack muscle tone and look sickly thin to me... See where you can help others understand this topic better that is by explaining about how you will see good strong muscle development, a shiny coat and good energy level in a healthy dog at a good weight; where as a dog who is starved or underweight has things like muscle atrophy, poor dull coat and overall is weak.

Reactions: 9361

·
Registered
225 Posts
I get the reverse from some people, but stemming from the same kind of misunderstanding. My male AM Bully isn't conditioned, but he's in general good shape, the right weight...and I've got to say, he looks great walking with his shiny black coat and muscles rippling.
But, even some ' dog people' offer that he's 'fat'.
I explain, he's not fat, he's an AM Bully, very broad chest, heavier boned than the avg dog...I point out his tuck and waist...no loose skin, show that there's no excess fat on his flanks because his ribs are right there...but it never makes an impression, the same people will say again, nice dog, but he's fat.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
It's the same with dogs as it is with babies now a days.People think a baby/dog should be overweight to be healthy for some insane reason.
And people wonder why there is an obesity epidemic spreading across this country!!!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
And people wonder why there is an obesity epidemic spreading across this country!!!
I know.I was thinking the same thing.While my kids were babies the dr would always tell me to put more weight on them even though they were fine.And shopping for clothes was always a hassle because everything was too big.My son here is considered too skinny for his age.He's 6.I've noticed it's the same way with dogs to people that don't know any better.Or even some that do or should know better.Fatter is healthier:hammer:

Attachments

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
a friend of my fiance told me that once comparing them to her dog.. i said "no, your dog is just fat" ... he looks like a keg

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Ugh.. yes. This one idiot REALLY pissed me off @ PetSmart. He wouldn't leave me alone!

I was walking indie on her prong, because she gets too excited @ petsmart, and isn't as receptive to my commands. (Which is why I take her to stores all the time.. I'm just working her!) So, we see this associate, and he approaches me. First thing he says is he hates seeing dogs who live in prong collars. I immediately stated I was working her, and as she had another collar on w/ the prong, wasn't it OBVIOUS that she didn't live in it? Then he goes on to point out the crop and her weight, and ask if I rescued her recently. I said NO.. she's conditioned, and in show shape, and I've had her since she was 9 weeks. He kept trying to talk to me about her, but I just walked off. Even though it's the nicest petsmart in the area, I'm not going back thanks to that idiot.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Great replies! Keep them coming. Rudy that is scarey! What did the cops say?
They stopped me while I was drag seeding Dooney out by the house. I simply handed them a show flyer let them look Dooney over and invited them in side. They left and said they were just following up on a call.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts