Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Collar Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

So im kinda new to all these purebred issues and honestly first time owner of an AmBully xl. I know he's not standing as he should but what your seeing is basically how he looks regardless of his posture. I know there is sway back, high rear and roach but im not that familiar in which it would be and what they mean for my dog in the short and long run. Any information would be appreciated and his age in this photo is 13 weeks old about 38lbs. I'm only feeding his his coloric requirements. Not trying to bulk him or add Weight at all.

·
Administrator
5,627 Posts
I agree with FluffyLove, the dog is in an awkward pose to determine. In that picture the right front elbow looks bowed and it does appear to be swayed back. I would bring him to the vet and have them check his conformation, joints, hips etc. just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it is just what FluffyLove says, a weird growth spurt. Please post some more pictures with him standing straight and still.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay understood. Tried to get some better pics. I hope these help if not I'll attempt when he's up again. Yeah I took him to the vet for sure and was checked for joint issues and all that and they made no mention of it.
Dog Chinese crested dog Carnivore Purple Dog breed

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Companion dog

·
Administrator
4,793 Posts
You'd need a proper stack. But also, looks like a puppy and they usually go high in the rear for a bit while growing. I have a friend who has an English Mastiff and we called him At-At (like from star wars) for 6 months while he walked around with his butt in the air. He's perfect conformation now.

Reactions: JoKealoha

·
Administrator
5,627 Posts
Yeah, those pics are better. As long as the vet wasn't concerned it probably is just related to growing. He is a handsome boy, I love the brindle.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there -
i also have an XL. your pup definitely looks like a "high-rear". One of the 2 are most common with XLs so no need to worry. i have a one who just turned 6mos and he went from a few lbs over 70 to well over 80 within a 2-3 week span.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Comfort Companion dog
Dog Working animal Comfort Carnivore Fawn
. THEY GROW FAST!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah so I guess it's been a while since I made the post.. yea he definitely has high rear which I have been told by many is common and acceptable for the XL breeds. Also he will be 8months as of May 12. He's already 103lbs and 24" tall at the withers. Which I
was also informed technically puts him in the XXL category. My breeder and vet figure he should be about 140-150ish based on how he's growing by about 2 years. Heavier then I expected.
Water Sky Dog Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Grass

Dog Dog breed Working animal Carnivore Collar

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Grass

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,793 Posts
"XXL category" does not exist, it a back yarder breeder term used to sell dogs. The American Bully comes in 4 classes, Pocket Class, Classic Class, Standard Class, and XL Class. The only class that has a difference in build is the Classic Class, all of the others maintain the breed standard with the difference only being in height.
At 8 months your PUPPY, is still not done growing yet. Bull breeds can take up to 3 years to complete growing and filling out.

High rears are not "normal" in any bull breed. If your grown dog has a high rear, then the breeder is not breeding to standard, they sold you a pet quality because they saw it would be an issue in the future.

ABKC American Bully breed standard in regards to back:
BACK
• Fairly short to medium back, slight sloping from withers to rump or straight accepted with gentle short slope at rump to base of tail. The American Bully should give the appearance of a square body, equal in length when measured from point of shoulder to point of buttocks and from the withers to the ground.
Faults: Back too long; rear higher than withers; weak or swayed topline; roached or wheel back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm aware the XXL isn't an actual category recognized. It's just the term used by many when the their shoulder height is over 23". They're also called non standard or extreme. And I've contacted a few breeders and two kennels and they have stated themselves a slight high rear on the XL Breed specifically is considered normal. Obviously until he's around two years old will the severity of the high rear be known or if it still will be there at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah so I guess it's been a while since I made the post.. yea he definitely has high rear which I have been told by many is common and acceptable for the XL breeds. Also he will be 8months as of May 12. He's already 103lbs and 24" tall at the withers. Which I
was also informed technically puts him in the XXL category. My breeder and vet figure he should be about 140-150ish based on how he's growing by about 2 years. Heavier then I expected.
View attachment 91106
View attachment 91109
View attachment 91108
View attachment 91107
he's a nice one! have you measured his head yet?

·
Administrator
4,793 Posts
XXL (is what it should have said) IS used by many, who aren't educated or are trying to pawn off poorly bred dogs to make money. If everyone just used the proper terminology then there wouldn't be any misnomer or BSL.
Extreme bullies are just poorly bred dogs that couldn't be registered with the ABKC because they're almost all genetic nightmares. Comparing one to the other is like saying a Ford and a Rolls Royce are the same kind of car. High rear is a fault with every REPUTABLE registry. So I still stand solid behind what I said and anyone that says different should take it up with the reputable registries who created the breed standard in the first place.
You have a very good looking dog. His rear is not very high. I think if he were in a proper stack that rear wouldn't look so high and I also believe he has ample time for the front to catch up. My friend has an English Mastiff who literally looked like an At At from Star Wars for the first whole year of his life. He is perfectly proportioned now at a year and a half old. I mean, he still has to fill out, but the right structure is there now to support his future frame.

Reactions: jttar
1 - 20 of 23 Posts