Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into some obedience training for my pup (he's 11 months old). He's a leash puller and a barker at times and I really want him to be the best he can be and a good example of his breed. My problem is, with a husband who works 50-60 hr weeks over nights and 2 small kids who are involved in extracurricular activities, my time is limited.

I found this place which is pretty close to me that will do doggy day school where I drop him off in the morning and pick him up at night and they train him and he also gets play time...what do you think?

Dog Boarding Fort Lauderdale and The Best Dog Training Program in Fort Lauderdale| The K9 Dog Training Academy

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I'll check the link when I get home but I like to train my dog myself so he learns and listens to me and my family not another person. Plus your dog is at the age where aggression might come into play. Depending on experience of the day care an what kind of response they would have if something happened.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just feel like I don't have the experience to do it :( I did teach him to sit, but anything more than that is just not sticking. I didn't consider the fact that they may put him out with other dogs. I would like them, though, to teach him to ignore other dogs when walking on a leash.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
What would be the point in them training your dog just to give it back to you when your unable to? the best training that will last is not sending a dog off but finding new ways of training your dog yourself or if needed find a personal trainer to assist, not take.. the bond is built greater for dog and handler.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh God. My dog is plenty bonded to me already, doubt if a professional teaching him to freakin stay, paw, heel is going to change that. I am more than able to give commands, just don't have knowledge to train him myself. Our other dog was trained completely by my husband before we were married and she still listens to commands given by me. I would love to attend classes with him but I have a 4 year old and a 3 year old and if you have kids you can imagine the nightmare it might be to take them to something like that.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
A private trainer can come to you and not all that expensive, I'm against taking a dog some where to be trained for many reasons..

If you don't have the knowledge or incapable of training yourself, why not have someone experienced show you the ropes so you can go from there... Would benefit you as well in the process.

If you can give commands and your dog listens Its hard to understand what is being the issue without seeing it, sometimes people think they are doing things correctly when they aren't. I don't know if you are or what your doing wrong since I'm not there to see it, however if you are having issues the best way is as I already stated.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I mean our older dog was trained by my husband and listens to my command.

Our pup is 11 months old and he is the one in need of obedience. When I looked into a private training session it was over $100/hour. I suppose I can keep looking into it and see if I can find one for a little less. The other issue with that though, is that we live in an apartment and therefore have nowhere to be off leash, though not sure if that's necessary for beginning obedience.

His main issues are leash pulling, especially at other dogs, squirrels, ducks, etc. Barking and jumping on people when they walk in the door.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
If you have a bond your dog would listen to you lol just saying not doubting your bond just mean obviously its not 100% if you're having issues. Private trainers and group settings you take part of are best IMO. Building confidence is key and if he is barking and lunging and pulling he doesn't trust that YOU have it under control so he is making the decisions. You need to let him know he should look to you before making a decision. Building confidence in your dog build confidence in you as a handler.

Coming from someone who still trains her dog daily :) I mean no offense.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Yep a dog that may Listen to some commands or even all, licks you and lays next to you or follows you doesn't equal bond.. it is all about mentality and equal respect for each position.

I've controlled several deemed uncontrollable by their handlers in often very little time, they claim they have a bond and have trained their dogs but reality...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So without obedience training there is no bond between a dog and it's owner? :confused:

Ames- He pulls to chase at squirrels and ducks, I want him to learn to ignore these things when I'm walking him.
KM- I would love for you to come and teach me how to wrangle my dog and get him to pay attention and concentrate on training! Seriously, where are you? I see it says south....Im in FL!

I WANT him to be an obedient dog and I want to be a better "pack leader" that's why I want him in some sort of obedience class. I am just trying to find a way to get it for him that will work for my family.

It seems this same facility has private lessons at their facility (which alleviates my concerns about not having off leash space here) for $60/hr, which is expensive but much better than $100/hr. I am unclear if I could attend this kind of session with him.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
So without obedience training there is no bond between a dog and it's owner? :confused:

Ames- He pulls to chase at squirrels and ducks, I want him to learn to ignore these things when I'm walking him.
KM- I would love for you to come and teach me how to wrangle my dog and get him to pay attention and concentrate on training! Seriously, where are you? I see it says south....Im in FL!

I WANT him to be an obedient dog and I want to be a better "pack leader" that's why I want him in some sort of obedience class. I am just trying to find a way to get it for him that will work for my family.

It seems this same facility has private lessons at their facility (which alleviates my concerns about not having off leash space here) for $60/hr, which is expensive but much better than $100/hr. I am unclear if I could attend this kind of session with him.
In order for there to be a bond there has to be a level of respect from your dog to you, which to earn that respect is to be above him on the ladder.. meaning, he sees you for guidance and follows through on guidance in order to please you, the keeper. You keep, feed, water, bathroom etc him.. for him you are God.
It isn't so much the training that crates relationship however the end result is a stable partner, pack if you will. A pack of wolves whom has no alpha is no pack, and chaos is a given.

Trying to put it as simple as possible 60 an hr is pretty reasonable considering you may only need one session to see what your missing or maybe a few, depends on what your over all wanting and where you over all stand.

Also I'm in the Carolinas

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts

In order for there to be a bond there has to be a level of respect from your dog to you, which to earn that respect is to be above him on the ladder.. meaning, he sees you for guidance and follows through on guidance in order to please you, the keeper. You keep, feed, water, bathroom etc him.. for him you are God.
It isn't so much the training that crates relationship however the end result is a stable partner, pack if you will. A pack of wolves whom has no alpha is no pack, and chaos is a given.

Trying to put it as simple as possible 60 an hr is pretty reasonable considering you may only need one session to see what your missing or maybe a few, depends on what your over all wanting and where you over all stand.

Also off leash area shouldn't be an issue as you should start with on leash behavior and indoor behavior given your situation

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I would also speak to a trainer before deciding they are worth the time and money, any trainer that suggests dog Parks, play dates, or any there of for socializing or corrective methods or period in terms of dog Parks is no real trainer.

Even if you have to pay a little more than initially willing, it will pay for itself many times over in the long run.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the advice, it is sincerely appreciated. I do not take him to dog parks, they are just a breeding ground for disease and fleas and dog fights lol

Are there any specific questions I should be asking of a potential trainer?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Thank you for the advice, it is sincerely appreciated. I do not take him to dog parks, they are just a breeding ground for disease and fleas and dog fights lol

Are there any specific questions I should be asking of a potential trainer?
What is their experience?

do they have experience with animals that genetically have a high rate of DA?

Rates of course. Any of your own concerns or questions as well like assuming time may be an issue, how will they work with you and if they will come to you.

You also want to see if locally they have any word of mouth, any one can claim they are a trainer but if no one has heard of them or hard pressed to have any reference at all, chances are they are fairly new or just starting out period.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I would ask what style they use. My trainer is www.hexdogs.com if you want to check their site out. Every place is different. They use all styles and find what works for the dog and their handler. I paid for a few private sessions which were about 3 hours each for $80 they also have structured pack walks for other owners like me. I didn't want my dog to meet other dogs but want him to behave around other dogs since I live on a city with tons of dogs. It's a necessity and I didn't trust random people on the street with their dogs. My confidence was shot after a bad experience. Building my confidence around dogs with my boy in a controlled environment was key for our progress. I needed to relax for him to relax. We are now taking a group class with 4 other reactive dogs in a 20 x 10 room. Because I learned the skills last year that were implemented all winter my boy was amazing!! So proud and he was loose leash performing commands and ignoring the other dogs. So proud of him!

I just wanted you to know its worth it and with a few classes with the right trainer you should see tremendous changes. The classes are $125 for 4, 1 hour sessions. Keep searching and calling places and asking questions your boy will get there I'm sure! The more work you put in the more results you will find. I called like 15 places before I found this one. This was after 3 failed trainers and not asking the right questions initially.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
I was actually just coming back to suggest you ask about training methods..

Cost is going to vary depending on your area and competition for going rates as well as experience can also play on it..

I don't have a whole lot of time to work with others animals however when I do I typically charge depending on what they are seeking to accomplish or how bad a situation may be. Usually works out to be any where from 40 an hour up to 160 an hour..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would ask what style they use. My trainer is HEX Dog Training & Behavior Modification - HEX if you want to check their site out. Every place is different. They use all styles and find what works for the dog and their handler. I paid for a few private sessions which were about 3 hours each for $80 they also have structured pack walks for other owners like me. I didn't want my dog to meet other dogs but want him to behave around other dogs since I live on a city with tons of dogs. It's a necessity and I didn't trust random people on the street with their dogs. My confidence was shot after a bad experience. Building my confidence around dogs with my boy in a controlled environment was key for our progress. I needed to relax for him to relax. We are now taking a group class with 4 other reactive dogs in a 20 x 10 room. Because I learned the skills last year that were implemented all winter my boy was amazing!! So proud and he was loose leash performing commands and ignoring the other dogs. So proud of him!

I just wanted you to know its worth it and with a few classes with the right trainer you should see tremendous changes. The classes are $125 for 4, 1 hour sessions. Keep searching and calling places and asking questions your boy will get there I'm sure! The more work you put in the more results you will find. I called like 15 places before I found this one. This was after 3 failed trainers and not asking the right questions initially.

Your trainer looks AWESOME. I want to find someone exactly like that, her experience with bull dogs is outstanding. Did you find her by word of mouth?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was actually just coming back to suggest you ask about training methods..

Cost is going to vary depending on your area and competition for going rates as well as experience can also play on it..

I don't have a whole lot of time to work with others animals however when I do I typically charge depending on what they are seeking to accomplish or how bad a situation may be. Usually works out to be any where from 40 an hour up to 160 an hour..
Are there any training methods that should be stayed away from?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts