Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious, it seems like genetics play the bigger role in determining DA than raising them. My little 10 1/2 week's dad is almost 3 and he became very unfriendly with smaller dogs and extremely aggressive toward bigger dogs, especially other pitbulls. I've had 2 other pitbulls, one was pretty friendly and the other was very....very DA... And even human aggressive at one point.
This is the first time that I have a pup and have seen his dad's behavior (his mom is a lab) so I can't speak on the others, we just took it as it came.
What do you all think about nature vs nurture in a case like this with my little one? I'm personally of the opinion that he's got a high if not almost complete propensity for DA between 1-2 years old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Training can go a long way, but it can only go so far. So many people who are trying to speak up for the breed do so by repeating the same tried old cliches over and over again such as "pit bulls were called the nanny dog" - FALSE; "my pit bull will lick you to death" - ugh; "it's all in how you raise them" - WRONG!

Some pit bulls will become DA regardless of the amount of love they are showered with, the amount of training they receive or the amount of socializing you do with them. Not all of them, certainly, but there's no genetic test to determine when or even if your dog will become DA so the best thing that any bull breed owner can do is to be safe and responsible by keeping them properly contained and socializing them with other dogs in controlled situations (read: NO DOG PARKS!).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good looking out. it's a trip out here because so many people where i live have a few pitbulls, and aren't really familiar with socialization, crate rotate and things of that nature for raising the breed. most of it is trial and error, ie having 3-4 pitbulls and chihuahuas on the same lot, kids running around with them loose unsupervised, lots of dogs get out the yards and run a muck throughout the day in packs (street dogs of south central). whatever happens happens, etc.

this site has helped me a lot to take a proactive approach to raising my little one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts