Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new Pitbull owner and have had some issues with dog aggression. If there is any male dog around he will growl but if another dog shows any aggression whatsoever towards him he comes unglued. He is 8 months old and will be getting neutered in 3 weeks, so I hope that will help some. Is there any suggestions other than neutering?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
neutering wont usually help DA , Da is just one of those things common to this breed. Best bet is to keep him leashed on walks , if you have multiple dogs in the house make sure you have crates and dog runs incase you need to seperate them in the near future and be able to crate and rotate. If he is an only dog then it makes things alot easier, make sure the yard is secure { should be anyways regardless of DA} and just make sure you avoid the situations that could cause a problem. remember with this breed if anything goes wrong regardless of what dog started it yours is more then capable to end it and will fall blame to anything and everything. Carrying a break stick and knowing how to use it is a great idea as well.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
The DA in this breed isn't something that can be trained out of nor can anything such as neutering help given that the DA is genetic, not an onset by something your doing wrong. While a properly trained APBT will help ensure more control on any given situation it by no means is a "stopper" when it comes to genetics. "You can take the bulldog out the [] but cant take the [] out of the bulldog" comes to mind. Its sound advice, always expect a bulldog to fight as this is what this breed was designed and bred for.
Training and limiting contact with other dogs to help reduce stress will benefit you greatly. Don't make the mistake as many do by trusting your dog around other dogs, its a mistake that should not be tolerated as there is already many stories, knowledge and books you can learn from. Theres no reason to make the same mistake many before you have. A mistake is only a mistake if you learn from them, a mistake is only worth the teachings it provides.
If you are someone who believes otherwise or disagrees with DA and believes you can train them out of, i would strongly recommend you reconsider or rehome. Not trying to sound like a jerk as i know you are just seeking advice, however this breed doesn't need anymore nonsense. Be responsible and know whats at the end of the leash.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
You can have a really DA dog and still be able to maintain control through training. You will not be able to train the DA out of them but they should be able to be around other dogs and ignore them. I suggest finding someone who is good at working with aggressive dogs and train with them. I have many really DA dogs but they are fine out in public because of training.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I will say that my pup had better focus, it's as he could listen better after he was neutered. He also was less anxious around animals. But it's touch and Go. Some dogs he can have no reaction. Some he is not a fan of. I don't find out which and keep him away from all new dogs unless they are familiar with the breed and know the risks. He is still DA at times like KM said, that's what he is and a part of who he is. You can try and manage it as Angel and KM and PK said. Stick around and learn there is a lot of great advice and opinions you can think about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice and by no means did I mean that the DA could be eliminated. I am going to look for a good trainer in my area and also work with him myself. He is always leashed when walking or hiking and never taken to a dog park.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Thanks for the advice and by no means did I mean that the DA could be eliminated. I am going to look for a good trainer in my area and also work with him myself. He is always leashed when walking or hiking and never taken to a dog park.
Your already a step above many! Never trust him fully and over prepared is prepared when it comes to bulldogs. :clap:

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
You can have a really DA dog and still be able to maintain control through training. You will not be able to train the DA out of them but they should be able to be around other dogs and ignore them. I suggest finding someone who is good at working with aggressive dogs and train with them. I have many really DA dogs but they are fine out in public because of training.
:goodpost:

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
all i can say is get a break stick or in my case many break sticks, learn how to use it and start working on your leave it command now!
good luck

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
like every one basically said always trust a pitbull to be dog agressive try no to let it slip your mind because accidents always happen when they're least expected.

break sticks are easy to make 16 1/2 inch wood hammer handle. cut it at the narrow part shave the wide sides down to a wedge kinda like those old door stops and there you go. in the end should look something like this

you can also buy one on line people tend to stray away from plastic ones they say they take damage and break more than wood.

·
Banned
5 Posts
If you are owning a pit bull then friend aggression is not a big thing.For such a dogs only tips or training at home can not be proved effective unless you do hire a trainer.If you have a super breed then you must have to arrange super trainer too.
fence for dogs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts