Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My American Staff Terrier (Pete) is 4 years old. He sleeps in my bed with me at night and has for the past 2 years. My bed is quite high up (about 3 ft) and last night Pete had what I can only describe as temporary acrophobia. He was sitting on the bed and it was time for him to be fed so I called for him to come to the living room. He stood up on the bed, ran to every edge and looked over, then laid back down and looked at the ground. I tried calling him, luring him with a treat, even helping him to get down, but he just kept running around the bed like he didn't know what to do.

The only other time I've seen him react like this is when he got into my roommate's garden. We keep a 1ft gate around it and he normally will not walk over it. One day he went into the garden and when I yelled at him, he ran around in circles like he couldn't figure out how to get over the gate again. When Pete stands on his hind legs, he's as tall as I am, so this gate or the bed should not have been a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of confusion? Is this something I should be concerned about or is Pete just quirky?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tara

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Was the garden episode and the bed one around the same time. You could have his eye checked. If the two were far apart in when they happened it might be the lighting made it look different or he got startled and then didn't know how to act. I would start by haing his eyes checked. Or it could be an innner ear infection too.

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
My American Staff Terrier (Pete) is 4 years old. He sleeps in my bed with me at night and has for the past 2 years. My bed is quite high up (about 3 ft) and last night Pete had what I can only describe as temporary acrophobia. He was sitting on the bed and it was time for him to be fed so I called for him to come to the living room. He stood up on the bed, ran to every edge and looked over, then laid back down and looked at the ground. I tried calling him, luring him with a treat, even helping him to get down, but he just kept running around the bed like he didn't know what to do.

The only other time I've seen him react like this is when he got into my roommate's garden. We keep a 1ft gate around it and he normally will not walk over it. One day he went into the garden and when I yelled at him, he ran around in circles like he couldn't figure out how to get over the gate again. When Pete stands on his hind legs, he's as tall as I am, so this gate or the bed should not have been a problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of confusion? Is this something I should be concerned about or is Pete just quirky?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tara
You have Described My Male Amstaff Word for Word. His Name is Rocky as it fits him Well. He has AFUL Panic attacks (or thats what i call it) and he stairs at things that move (like curtains blowing in are window) and growles until we Snap him out of it. he will get up on a Bed and try several times to get down and Panic when he thinks he cant. However He cn Jump as high as I am Tall for a Springpole !!! It may sound like a Joke but i think my Dog is a bit " SLOW" !! As big of a Baby this 11yr old boy is, He will Tare the Fur off another Animal. He also has Fear agresion twords US, but has never Bit at or tried to bite us, he just growls terrible and the Look in his eye makes you uncomfortable, like He might be Unpredictable..But has Never Hurt a Person in his 11 yrs. I had to Chok it up to " Thats ROCKY " He's a Nut, lol..It's extremly Agravating when im trying to get out the door for Work, or when im trying to get the Kids off to school because i also have to deal with HIM running around Like a It's the End of the World. Ive done what I can for him for 11yrs, and Probably gave him the Best Life he could of had as I Rescued him from thise that would of Abused Him.
As far as a Solution IDK, and your Pup may not be Half as Bad. Rocky got worse Every Yr. It has gotten so bad that Ive givin him Benadryle to knock him out when he has Paced around at MIDNIGHT Uncontrolably.... Anyway, i know what its like to be confused as to your Dogs Odd behavoir..LMBO

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Was the garden episode and the bed one around the same time. You could have his eye checked. If the two were far apart in when they happened it might be the lighting made it look different or he got startled and then didn't know how to act. I would start by haing his eyes checked. Or it could be an innner ear infection too.
I agree with Sharon, you should have his eyes checked and discuss with your vet about this problem. Take note of each incident as it could be something more serious. Behavioral changes in older dogs can be alarming so just note each incident so you can discuss it with your vet.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Great post Lauren. I always forget to mention to write stuff down. It is too easy to forget something that happened and it could be a something major the vet needs to know.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It could be eyes but I would bet he hurt himself somewhere and jumping on and off the bed hurts and why he did not want to get off. Check his spin he could have pulled something, hips, or shoulders, I mean it could be anything. I would looks him all over carefully and put your hands on him and see if you can find a pain spot.
What happened in the Garden could be that something spooked him a bit but not wanting to get off the sounds like an injury.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
It could be eyes but I would bet he hurt himself somewhere and jumping on and off the bed hurts and why he did not want to get off. Check his spin he could have pulled something, hips, or shoulders, I mean it could be anything. I would looks him all over carefully and put your hands on him and see if you can find a pain spot.
What happened in the Garden could be that something spooked him a bit but not wanting to get off the sounds like an injury.
That is exactly what Shana said this morning, Lisa. Wow y'all are good!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The incidents were about a year apart. I don't think he was hurt as he had been jumping on and off the bed all day and continued doing so after this incident. Also, the first thing I did was to check to make sure he hadn't hurt himself. It could be his eyes. He sometimes stares off at nothing for a really long time. The trainer even said it was bizarre.

Thank you guys for all the great advice. I'll make sure to keep a record and I'm bringing him in to the vet this week.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Not to alarm you but it could be a type of seizure. I would continue to watch him closely and have the vet check him out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts